HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Seven World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 4:48 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^Beautiful. Just think, there's going to be 4 more buildings with the same glass...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 6:08 PM
Is That LEGO?

Does anyone have the lengths of the sides of the parallelogram shaped base? Can't seem to find the numbers anywhere online...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 9:08 PM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 10:44 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Does anyone have the lengths of the sides of the parallelogram shaped base? Can't seem to find the numbers anywhere online...
171'0" x 214'3" to the corner of the building. Give or take a foot. 150x180 to column centers, exactly. The glass goes up to 741' while the small structure on the roof is what brings the building to 750'. Average floor height is 13'6". The metal podium is ~85'6" high from the lobby floor, while the first office floor is at 125' elevation due to addition mechanical space on top of the ConEd substation.

Last edited by STR; Feb 7, 2011 at 5:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 3:55 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 11:07 PM

Hey guys just wanted to know, how many feet above the street is the 52nd floor of this tower?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:24 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2011/real-es...ve-ground-zero

Spirit in the Sky: Riding the Express Elevator to Jesus, 40 Stories Above Ground Zero

By Matt Chaban
March 29, 2011

Quote:
The River is probably the only church where one of the ministers used to write the Heard on the Street column for The Wall Street Journal and now uses his iPad to deliver messages directly from God to parishioners. It is also likely the only church, at least in New York, where a penitent's ears pop upon entering.

The River has held services on the 40th floor of 7 World Trade Center since the fall of 2009. The church rents the space on Sundays from the New York Academy of Sciences.

There are double helixes of DNA on the carpet and a shrine to Charles Darwin near the entrance. The views stretch from Jersey City to J.F.K., and to ground zero right below, with all its fervor, religious and otherwise.

"When we came here, the view, it just allowed us to have fellowship even more," said Amos, who has been attending the River for three years with his wife and was wearing red chinos, a cardigan and a bow tie. "As New Yorkers, we rarely take the time to look up—we always look down or we look straight ahead. Being here helps us look up, it helps bring us closer together and bring us closer to God."

Besides, the skyscraper space is cheaper than the church's old digs in a bank building on Broad Street. Many of the parishioners appreciate the apparent irony of their nave in the sky, and to the academy they are just another rent check. "Pepsico, Pfizer, various alumni organizations, an Irish entrepreneurship group and the Israeli Consulate are among the many external groups, like the River, that rent our space for their own events with no connection to NYAS," the academy's director of public outreach wrote in an email.

The River was founded by Charles Park, an economics Ph.D. from M.I.T. who launched a similar church in Cambridge, Mass., before setting up shop in Greenwich Village. While that Boston parish, called the Vineyard, grew to more than 1,000 members in five years, Mr. Park has only reached 100 or so here. Still, he says he sees even greater potential in New York, in no small part because God told him, afer he denied it repeatedly, that his duty was to preach at ground zero.

"There's more to life, and I think New Yorkers instinctively feel that," Mr. Park told The Observer over lunch at Petite Abeille on West Broadway, where he ordered the tuna salad sandwich and a Palm beer between services two Sundays ago.. "Why do people come to New York? I think they want more out of life than could happen in their hometown. I think they want to experience something bigger, more refreshing, a bigger dimension of life. That is what this city is about. It is a city of dreams." A city where an out-of-town pastor could hope to win converts with Zizmor-style subway ads, too.

A mix of tent revival and corporate boardroom, with a healthy dose of pop culture, Mr. Park's sermons move easily between St. Matthew, Bono and Schopenhauer. A band on the light side of indie rock opens and closes things, though there are no Bibles or hymnals—just a PowerPoint presentation, which then gets posted at TheRiver.org. [b][color=blue]The flock is drawn from across the city, particularly Wall Street, with attire ranging from the frumpy (baggy striped sweaters, khakis) to the fashionable (4-inch snakeskin stilettos, pageboy caps).

Call it the Gotham Gospel.

"I hated going to church growing up," Collin, a recent N.Y.U. grad who now volunteers as the River's youth coordinator, said. Dressed in a hoodie over a flannel shirt and jeans, Collin was cutting doughnuts in half to go with jugs of Dunkin Donuts coffee and cartons of Minute Maid for after services. "I had an agnostic mom and a lapsed Catholic dad, and we basically went out of this sense of guilt. Here, the sermons are tailored to life in the city."

In many ways, the church reflects its founder. Mr. Park emigrated from South Korea as a teenager, got into Stanford and then M.I.T. and made more than $40 million on the stock market. "I was living the American dream, I had everything, and yet I was still miserable," he said. That led him to attend church in Boston before founding his own.

Mr. Park sees much the same anguish in his fellow New Yorkers. His favorite parable is the one told by the comedian Louis C.K. on The Late Show with Conan O'Brien two years ago, "Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy."

"If everyone thought, 'My job is to bring fullness of life to those around me,'" Mr. Park said, "New York would be a much better place."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:41 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ i suddenly feel the urge to attend mass this week, i think that particular location suits me well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 9:16 PM

Interesting post to read. I've mostly read of its reputation for event production. 7wtcevents.com site has a lot of press statements about its capabilities for photo and video production. It's an awesome building and has great views of the skyline, but as far as actual access, all the site has is hype, it seems. Some kind of news brief about a recent charity event for Operation Smile, but clicks on these photos are a pretty shallow reference for anyone (like me) who wasn't actually there.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2 View Post

Interesting post to read. I've mostly read of its reputation for event production. 7wtcevents.com site has a lot of press statements about its capabilities for photo and video production. It's an awesome building and has great views of the skyline, but as far as actual access, all the site has is hype, it seems. Some kind of news brief about a recent charity event for Operation Smile, but clicks on these photos are a pretty shallow reference for anyone (like me) who wasn't actually there.
As a side-note, I'll point out that this is a location I've always wanted to shoot from, and would have if I wasn't constantly thwarted by the management on actually doing it, without anything but cryptic references to make that happen. I'll get invitations for applications and then show up and during the application process, spilling out my various credentials, I'll get a cold stare or a furious return, which makes it seem like their production locations, however much they hype it, are totally inaccessible. Or I'll send in a a request that's more or less returned (in very formal and unforgiving writing), "we appreciate your request, but your credentials are not quite good enough." I get that 7 WTC has awesome skyline views. I get that it would be an awesome place to be in, theoretically, except they make that on the verge impossibility to have happen. It's really damaging to your mental health. It's like you have to obsess over all of your credentials to figure out how to get in there, send them a million letters before you even get an interview. Once you get one you get signals that all your first letters ruined your reputation way too much to have the more recent ones matter. You can get really hopeful about it reading about it, but show up for an interview, and man, your hopes are crushed, you have zero confidence in your abilities as a photographer, and you generally want to crawl into a small hole and die.

I would love to hear from anyone who has other experience with this. God knows I would like to do it if it hasn't been a coldly intimidating process and damaging on the latter end. Anyone know how to get there without the constant reference to the cryptic instructions seemingly buried within the 9,000-pages of documentation required to read for application to get anything possibly relevant? Without getting your hopes up about anything in the documentation that proves falsely positive? Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:43 AM

Am i the only one who thinks the older 7 world trade looked better? =(

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 5:32 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

11:18 AM
Developer: 7 World Trade Center Fully Leased
By: NY1 News

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...r-fully-leased

Quote:
Developer Larry Silverstein says 7 World Trade Center is now fully leased.
Investment company MSCI is leasing 125,000 square feet of space in the building.

The company will move from 1 Chase Plaza and consolidate all of its offices into the building by mid 2012.

This means all the space in the 52-story skyscraper is accounted for.

Seven World Trade Center was completed in 2007.

© 1999-2011 NY1 News and Time Warner Cable Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 5:48 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ that's really good news considering that future tenants need to go to the new WTC towers.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 7:05 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfannumber1 View Post
Am i the only one who thinks the older 7 world trade looked better? =(
I prefer the older one as well, I feel it had a better relationship with nearby buildings, lower than 3 World Financial Center and complimenting the colors of it's next door neighbor, the Barclay Vesey Building.

I'm not too crazy about how the new 7 WTC, like said in previous posts it's pretty bland. I don't like how it looks from the Southeast and Northwest, it's way too bulky, however I do appreciate how sharp the building looks from the opposite directions. I also like how it's unobstructed from the south now, looking over the memorial.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 10:54 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 1:16 AM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 4:27 AM

Filler

I think this is a very nice example of a good filler building. Actually, with its height, it would dominate most downtowns in the United States. I love the way the crown is lit up and night. Overall, it is a significant improvement over the old WTC and I think it will age significantly better.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:15 AM

New World Trade Center Construction UPDATE (Oct 9, 2011)

Hi Guys! This is the footage I shot yesterday while I was at the New World Trade Center Site. I still have alot more footage to edit & then post. Please subscribe to my channel. Thanks! :-) -Greg (IntoTheLens827).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SjvUv6wsCA" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 6:01 AM

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 2:20 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

7 continues to impress me as the single best modern building in NYC. It really should be a design standard.

Please excuse my tripod-less night photos:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture