HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 11:01 AM
somewhere in-between

I didn't see it posted here yet, so here's a rendering of the new Ascend Building -

Source: EDDC

Last edited by deja vu; Jul 30, 2021 at 12:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 12:20 PM
somewhere in-between

Also, here's a video compilation, just posted today by EDDC, of numerous projects around town. Go Erie!

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 1:21 PM

Can't help but feel that the western face of the Mid-City Towers would be awesome for a mural.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1264...4!8i8192?hl=en

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:13 AM

About that E 10th st construction

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...-city-of-erie/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:29 AM

Just yesterday they installed a new 18 ft.-high "gateway" public art installation at 3rd and State Streets called "Points of Reference". I drove past it and I really like it; definitely adds some more color to the intersection and I like the local etchings on it.

Interestingly, the sculptures are illuminated at night, and are the first of many planned "gateway" projects for downtown.

https://www.erienewsnow.com/clip/152...n-state-street

Picture at night: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSGDLScs...1-3eaa5e8660b5

Last edited by jFug; Aug 4, 2021 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Can't help but feel that the western face of the Mid-City Towers would be awesome for a mural.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1264...4!8i8192?hl=en
I'm actually a fan of that ugly 1970s "tower". For some reason, I really like the grid pattern and triangular-shaped windows of the eastern and western sides, so I'm not so sure I'd like to see a mural on it... though it could use a refurbishing.

Also, I loved the old Midcity Towers font of the sign on State. Street.

I do think a mural would be great just down the street on that big, blank Northwest Savings Bank wall and/or on the north side of the old Woolworth's building (now law offices and Dollar General) that was covered in awful corrugated steel siding, rather than having the masonry properly restored... fucking lawyers. Also, the massive blank wall of the Verizon building at 10th and French is a prime mural spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
While it's usually good to see construction happening downtown, this is just a major disappointment to see a nonprofit childcare center being built on what should be a prime downtown lot. I mean, directly across from the baseball stadium? A preschool/daycare center??

With all that has been recently invested in the immediate area (Erie Insurance Arena complete overhaul, UPMC Park expansion/enhancements, Warner Theater expansion), one would think that there would be significantly more foresight paid towards ensuring that this adjacent property was utilized to its fullest and best use.

But yet again, Erie continues "doing stupid shit"... which is exactly the main point that the Erie Refocused planners cautioned Erie about not continuing to do. It's mind boggling to me.

Tax exempt organization building a totally inappropriate auto-oriented, suburban structure on prime urban property directly across the street from the city's premier sports complex/entertainment venues. Of all the surface parking lots and vacant, non-revenue producing lots in Erie's core... this is somehow the one where a daycare center should be built... unreal.

Just another squandered opportunity to add to Erie's many. Things like this just show me that downtown Erie is, for the most part, a lost cause.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
While it's usually good to see construction happening downtown, this is just a major disappointment to see a nonprofit childcare center being built on what should be a prime downtown lot. I mean, directly across from the baseball stadium? A preschool/daycare center??

With all that has been recently invested in the immediate area (Erie Insurance Arena complete overhaul, UPMC Park expansion/enhancements, Warner Theater expansion), one would think that there would be significantly more foresight paid towards ensuring that this adjacent property was utilized to its fullest and best use.

But yet again, Erie continues "doing stupid shit"... which is exactly the main point that the Erie Refocused planners cautioned Erie about not continuing to do. It's mind boggling to me.

Tax exempt organization building a totally inappropriate auto-oriented, suburban structure on prime urban property directly across the street from the city's premier sports complex/entertainment venues. Of all the surface parking lots and vacant, non-revenue producing lots in Erie's core... this is somehow the one where a daycare center should be built... unreal.

Just another squandered opportunity to add to Erie's many. Things like this just show me that downtown Erie is, for the most part, a lost cause.
I always envisioned a mid-rise, mixed-use development going on there. Hotel/retail/housing type of thing. Would have been great with all the venues literally a block away.

Are there any renderings of what this development center will look like when it's finished? I'm hoping it at least is built up to the sidewalk and puts the parking behind the building.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I always envisioned a mid-rise, mixed-use development going on there. Hotel/retail/housing type of thing. Would have been great with all the venues literally a block away.

Are there any renderings of what this development center will look like when it's finished? I'm hoping it at least is built up to the sidewalk and puts the parking behind the building.
Sure, that would be pretty much ideal, and what you'd think just plain makes sense, right? Ground-level restaurant/bar and maybe some retail to serve downtown workers and ballgame fans, concert goers, etc., with maybe two floors of apartments above or a small hotel.

But I've come to believe that Erie collectively has far too long only learned from itself... and therefore emulates what it has witnessed in the past and what is presently found, in regard to the decisions made about its urban environment.

Just look a couple blocks up from this site at 12th & State... the Commerce Building, one of Erie's largest and tallest, stood until it unceremoniously and for no reason was demo'd in the late 80s. An empty lot marked its former place until the suburban McMansion-looking abomination that squats there today was constructed in the 90s... I believe it initially housed an eye doctor's office before it became a bank... which the City then permitted said bank to demolish FOUR more Victorian era commercial buildings which fronted State St., so that they could build a multi-lane drive-thru and surface parking lot. This is what Erie has long done, and it's clearly not finished.

Destroy the urban fabric (which is often historic and high quality architecture) in favor of a parking lot or completely inappropriate building for a downtown area. This plan has been used and displays its ugly results throughout downtown Erie.

This is how Erie treats itself and thus completely deserves its title as having the ugliest built environment of any city in PA. And it truly is an ugly, ugly city. I understand that it's difficult to get good investment in a Third Class city, but Erie just continues to trip over its own feet and doesn't seem to really care, because it has know nothing different for so long.

This childcare center is just one example, and it's not the end of the world, but it serves as a glaring microcosm of everything that is wrong with development in the Erie area (downtown particularly).

What you suggest about the layout of this new childcare center makes sense... so do you think we'll actually see it built to the sidewalk with parking in the rear? No chance in hell!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 1:15 AM

I agree, Erie will ok anything bec they're thinking tax revenue (nothing from the day care,
which I believe will be renting the bldg form a lawyer) no matter how out of place or ugly.
They must be think its great progress & willing to accept anyone willing to invest a few bucks.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:04 AM

It's a shame the EDDC only covers the area that it does. The area around 10th and State could use some TLC as well.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:02 PM

Quote:
It's a shame the EDDC only covers the area that it does. The area around 10th and State could use some TLC as well.
Think most of the seed money came from nearby Erie Ins & Gannon. So it would make sense for their backyard. Possibly in a few yrs EDDC might expand to other areas. Let's hope so.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 2:29 PM

Hopefully, EDDC will expand its footprint south of Perry Square. The blocks south of 10th Street to 18th Street are a rather terrible urban environment. But some solid urban building stock remains... it just needs to be enhanced with thoughtful planning and investment.

Ideally, EDDC's seeding of development in the lower downtown area will encourage private investment throughout Erie's core. It's the long game... and I try to remain optimistic, but Erie's a tough one.

Going to be in town for a long weekend tonight... excited to check out some new spots!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:39 PM

Latest rendering of renovation of former Mellon Bank at 12th & State Streets.

I'd rather that Great Lakes Insurance leave the modernist, brutalist, and blocky bank building as is, rather than spend millions on "making it pretty", and instead focus on new construction. However, it will hopefully add some life to the terrible intersection that is 12th & State.

EDIT: I give up trying to post images from instagram. Below is the link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSZnJnqtTr0/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Latest rendering of renovation of former Mellon Bank at 12th & State Streets.

I'd rather that Great Lakes Insurance leave the modernist, brutalist, and blocky bank building as is, rather than spend millions on "making it pretty", and instead focus on new construction. However, it will hopefully add some life to the terrible intersection that is 12th & State.

EDIT: I give up trying to post images from instagram. Below is the link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSZnJnqtTr0/
Wow! I really like the look of that.

Too bad it will be across the street from a crappy drive thru credit union.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 3:00 AM

Agree that Credit Union bldg should be torn down. Pizzes me off everytime I drive by.
I rather they never tore the old Commerce Bldg down. I even take another park with a fountain than the silly manor house type structure on the NE corner of 12th & State.
As a matter of fact I recall the night club in the basement of the Comm bldg. I think it was named the LAMPLIGHTER. 50 +yrs ago was a long time.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Wow! I really like the look of that.

Too bad it will be across the street from a crappy drive thru credit union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
Agree that Credit Union bldg should be torn down. Pizzes me off everytime I drive by.
I rather they never tore the old Commerce Bldg down. I even take another park with a fountain than the silly manor house type structure on the NE corner of 12th & State.
As a matter of fact I recall the night club in the basement of the Comm bldg. I think it was named the LAMPLIGHTER. 50 +yrs ago was a long time.
Overall, it's good to see significant investment in downtown Erie, so I'm not going to complain about it. In general, I'm just not really into full "renovations" of commercial buildings when they're basically just building a brand new building because the former architecture is deemed "ugly". I've never minded the old Mellon Bank building... it's certainly an example of the era. Now, if they were going to tear it down and build something much taller in its place, then yes, by all means, use the land to its highest and best use.

That credit union is just terrible. Erie should be embarrassed by it. It fully embodies the stupidity of Erie's "leadership" that it was permitted to be constructed and then have its property expanded via the demolition of the adjacent block for its drive-thru and parking lot. It just tells you a lot about the collective lack of respect Erie has for itself.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
That credit union is just terrible. Erie should be embarrassed by it. It fully embodies the stupidity of Erie's "leadership" that it was permitted to be constructed and then have its property expanded via the demolition of the adjacent block for its drive-thru and parking lot. It just tells you a lot about the collective lack of respect Erie has for itself.
If Tendto Credit Union cared at all for downtown, they would bulldoze that building and construct a legit "urban" bank at that corner.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:50 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
If Tendto Credit Union cared at all for downtown, they would bulldoze that building and construct a legit "urban" bank at that corner.
But, but.... it IS urban! It's got a street wall near the intersection, and yellow canvas canopies! Plus it's two whole stories, instead of one! The brick is contextual, because - bricks!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:55 PM

Lower downtown Erie EDDC development update photos

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I didn't see it posted here yet, so here's a rendering of the new Ascend Building -

Source: EDDC

I like this above design for the site MUCH better than the previously released rendering. Just more attractive, fits in better with the surrounding blocks, and looks to be built of higher quality materials than this jumbled mess:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations