HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 8:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I don't even see why sidewalk sun exposure is even of concern in that area. They just have to walk a block East or West to see that they are all dark. I mean its a main CBD... with supertalls and sun light blocking towers. Even if they modified it, it wouldn't do much.

They seem to throw "existing zoning" to add a punch to it all. I guess to make it more serious than it really is.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 8:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I don't even see why sidewalk sun exposure is even of concern in that area. They just have to walk a block East or West to see that they are all dark. I mean its a main CBD... with supertalls and sun light blocking towers. Even if they modified it, it wouldn't do much.

They seem to throw "existing zoning" to add a punch to it all. I guess to make it more serious than it really is.

It won’t do anything, really. I remember watching them when they were discussing it. These people were just grasping for something to throw at the developers. I’m sure they know that the developers don’t have to change a thing. Even for normal ULURP, the CB referral is only advisory. But because this is state property, that makes it even more of a moot point. City Planning can’t derail this.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:11 PM
New Yorker for life

From Gale Brewer…

https://www.manhattanbp.nyc.gov/weekly-newsletter-7-8/

Quote:
For the first time since February, 2020, the Manhattan Borough Board (made up of Manhattan Council members and Community Boards) will meet in person next Thursday (7/15) at 8:30 am in my office conference room at 1 Centre St., 19th Floor (South entrance). The meeting will also be livestreamed on my Facebook. On the agenda are four public hearings:

- 343 Madison Avenue/MTA HQ

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:58 AM
New Yorker for life

July 15, 2021

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Borough President Gale Brewer weighs in with her conditional approval...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 8:30 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.dec.ny.gov/enb/20210804_not2.html

Notice of Acceptance of Draft EIS and Public Hearing
New York County (Manhattan)

Quote:
The New York City Planning Commission, as lead agency, has accepted a Draft Environmental Impact Statement on the proposed 343 Madison Avenue. A public hearing on the Draft EIS will be held in-person and remotely on August 18, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. in-person at 120 Broadway, 31st Floor , New York, NY 10271
Quote:
The Project Site, located in the East Midtown neighborhood of Manhattan, is owned by the MTA, from which BP is seeking approval of a net lease on the property. These actions (issuance of the special permits and approval of the net lease) together comprise the Proposed Action. The Proposed Action, which is expected to be completed by 2026, would facilitate the redevelopment of the Project Site with the Proposed Project - a new, approximately 925,630 gross square foot commercial office building up to 1,050 foot tall, with ground floor retail uses, below-grade space, and on-site and off-site transportation improvements to Long Island Railroad (LIRR) East Side Access (ESA) concourse and Grand Central - 42nd Street Subway Station.. The project is located at 341-347 Madison Avenue in Manhattan, New York.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 12:34 AM
New Yorker for life

From the City Planning meeting...

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 20, 2021 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 12:53 AM

This is really crisp and sleek. i really like the little details such as the red stairwells and the texture that separates the floorplates.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 6:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Yeah not too bad. A unique neighbor to 1 Vanderbilt and a good boost to the skyline in that area.

If that vertical garden in the crown is an amenity space open to tenants, it'll be something special.
Yeah, it'll be a nice space with incredible views. I think they mentioned in one of the earlier meetings that it was given in response to one of the concerns of the NIMBYs.

The B1M's take on the new terminal that's connecting all of the new skyscrapers with new street level entrances...

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 6:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, it'll be a nice space with incredible views. I think they mentioned in one of the earlier meetings that it was given in response to one of the concerns of the NIMBYs.
I had hoped that this tower would have had a well-defined crown like 147 E 47th St is getting. Fortunately, the garden up top should be nicely illuminated at night.

Anyway, this is an “only in NY” tower, since it’s an 1,100’ filler, and it’s a 950k sf “boutique.” This would be the centerpiece tower in every US skyline other than NY and Chi.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 2:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Getting some 425 Park Ave vibes with the design. Almost like a mix of that and 7 WTC.

A welcomed addition once it rises.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 12:36 PM
BANNED

https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/09/dem...manhattan.html

Demolition Imminent For KPF-Designed Supertall At 343 Madison Avenue In Midtown East, Manhattan

BY: MICHAEL YOUNG 8:00 AM ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2021

Demolition work is ramping up at 343 Madison Avenue, site of a 1,050-foot commercial supertall in Midtown East. Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox and developed by Boston Properties, the 754,120-square-foot structure will yield 748,618 square feet of office space, 2,130 square feet of retail space, and 2,372 square feet of subterranean circulation paths to Grand Central Terminal and the future East Side Access project. The skyscraper is replacing a 105-year-old 15-story building between East 44th and 45th Streets that formerly housed the Metropolitan Transportation Authority headquarters.

At the time of our last update in early May, scaffolding already fully covered the existing structure. Since that time, thick black netting has been added, obscuring the brick and stone façade. It should only be a matter of time until the upper floors begin to be dismantled, and the building’s relatively short height could enable its full demolition to be completed by sometime this winter....

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Exciting stuff. Happy morning everyone!

Have folks noticed the uptick in recent developments? Now that the plague has winded down, the region is awakening. Returning to its roots, of building super talls and 100's of towers.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 4:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh i could live with this in my midsts.

very thoughtfully designed!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 8:54 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
sorry for off topic, and someone has probably answered this, but has anything ever been proposed for the block between this and vandy? does someone else own the air rights?

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
sorry for off topic, and someone has probably answered this, but has anything ever been proposed for the block between this and vandy? does someone else own the air rights?
Milstein owns that and decided to sit tight for now. That will eventually be redeveloped.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Milstein owns that and decided to sit tight for now. That will eventually be redeveloped.

maybe, but not soon.

where did you hear that?

he just spent $750M to reno it.

https://www.wfw.com/press/wfw-advise...adison-avenue/

https://www.shoparc.com/projects/335-madison-avenue/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
maybe, but not soon.

where did you hear that?

he just spent $750M to reno it.

https://www.wfw.com/press/wfw-advise...adison-avenue/

https://www.shoparc.com/projects/335-madison-avenue/
I agree that it won’t be any time soon. I’m thinking in around 15 to 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 3:09 PM
BANNED

Do the Midtown East Rezoning laws extend up to Madison and 55th? If so, I wonder when this obsolete waste of space, 555 Madison, will be redeveloped.

Also, can a developer add hotel and residential to a new building under the Midtown East Rezoning laws? I assume that it can in light of what's proposed for 175 Park. If that's the case, a hotel/condo/office tower on this prime spot would be amazing.

The same applies to 575 Madison.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Sep 2, 2021 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
They decided to wait, and I"m glad they did. Gives Vanderbilt more time to shine.

Here's a page from that thread...
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=32

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...54&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Do the Midtown East Rezoning laws extend up to Madison and 55th? If so, I wonder when this obsolete waste of space, 555 Madison, will be redeveloped.

Also, can a developer add hotel and residential to a new building under the Midtown East Rezoning laws?
Hotel requires a special permit, and residential is permitted to be no more than 20% in order to take advantage of the midtown east rezoning.

These are the borders:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals