HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 9:11 PM
World Machine

My Vast Skyscraper Development.....

A signifigant aspect of these buildings is that they have an architectual style to them that is not common theme anymore. I choose this look because this style is one i think represents corporate power, which these buildings posses.
But first a little background/information:

Tower 1: 105 floors 1450ft 2.0 msf commercial space
Tower 2: 90 floors 1200ft 3.5 msf commercial space

8 sublevels floors:
s1: Retail, concourse, dining
s2: Retail, concourse, dining, station
s3: Retail, concourse, dining, station
s4-s7: parking
s8: Utility, sewage, generators

This complex will be built in Mid-Town Manhattan. Tower 1 will contain a 3 floors lobby, retail, dining, sky lobby, meeting space, mechanical floors, and commercial space.
Tower 2 will contain a two floor lobby, 2 sky lobbys, commercial space, a 5-star hotel, a theater, retail, dining, obervation deck (in and out doors), roof pool and garden.
The facade of these buildings will be black glass curtain. There will be access the the underground mall and station through inside and outside the complex.

Here are the pics. I hope you enjoy them. I have been working on this project for the last 5 years.

This is an overview of the entire site:

Some shots from different angles...........

Here are shots from the west entrance of Tower 1:

>>>>>>>>>>>
Here are some shots of the grand plaza. There are a few sculptures representing the innovations of architecture. In the center one there will
be a globe with the land painted gold and the water painted silver.

This is the 5 Star "Cassidy Hotel of New York", located in Building 2. There is a pool as well as a garden accessible to the guests of the hotle on the sky mezzanine. Ontop of the Hotel is the 2 floor Grand Sy Penthouse. The asking price for this is $25,000,000.00.

This is a shot of the vehicle entrances and exits for the underground garage.

This is the civilian overpass connecting the buildings from above ground. It has a roof height equal to 2 floors.

This is the observation deck open to the public on the roof of the 90 floor
Tower 2.

Those are all the pics for now, I really hoped you liked it.
PLEASE, I CANT STRESS ENOUGH HOW I NEED FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!
By feed back I mean:
-suggestions
-comments
-requests
-critiques
-what you want to see
-what you like/ don't like

This is important, and I need a long list of commentary from you guys.

Thanks for viewing, I will have more shots and details for you!

-Dac150

Last edited by Dac150; Dec 13, 2007 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 9:16 PM
World Machine

Requests.......

1. Keep on topic.
2. No talk about "you will never do this"
3. Please leave replies!!!!!

Thank you-

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 11:35 PM

Have you looked seriously into the logistical/structural details of this, especially as relates to the taller tower? It strikes me as insanely skinny for a serious, commerically viable tower of that height - where have you gotten the 2 msf figure from - and is that enough office space to make a 1450 foot tower viable?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 12:16 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cur_sed View Post
It strikes me as insanely skinny for a serious, commerically viable tower of that height - where have you gotten the 2 msf figure from - and is that enough office space to make a 1450 foot tower viable?
1. Tower 1 looks to be thin due to the large base.
2. Like I said, this building does no only have commercial space. There are floors that contain meeting space, sky lobbies, mechanical, etc....

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 2:00 AM
World Machine

Come on guys, how about some replies. All this work and just one.............................

Last edited by Dac150; Mar 18, 2007 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 3:29 AM
Registirred User

I hate to say it, but the base of your Cassidy complex is very unfriendly street level wise. Like the World Trade Center complex, you have a Superblock -- an entire street block dedicated to a donut of offices with a plaza in the middle. It was an urban idea from the 1960s and 70s that seemed great at first, but turns out depressing and lifeless in reality.

This is why the new World Trade Center/Freedom Tower looks very different than the former. If I were you, I would follow in the Freedom Tower's footsteps by putting a street right through the plaza breaking it in two, followed by many street level shops. I would also replace the corporate-esque fountain with a more friendly round fountain that the public can go and get their feet wet

my 2 cents.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 5:18 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthq View Post
I would also replace the corporate-esque fountain with a more friendly round fountain that the public can go and get their feet wet
Great Idea. The plaza also needs Trees.

I suggest the hotel being in a much taller building, like that one that resembles the Trump Tower. Half Office, Half Hotel, if the Hotel was on top, it could get much better views than the current plan for the hotel.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 8:58 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

I actually like how the buildings meet the ground, the angled parts add a little zip to the design, so it's not just another bland building. Though I agree that the fountain should be a little more inviting to people, like a pool, or maybe even replaced with something completely different, something very entertaining, like a stage or something. I'd want to see colors on the facades to give it a final opinion, but overall, I'm liking how this looks! I can certainly see how much effort you've put into this, and I commend you on that!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 2:30 PM
Duke of Spook

Excellent work! Keep the basic designs of the buildings, but throw in some street-level retail and trees to liven things up. Nice job!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 3:36 PM
World Machine

There will be street level retail, dining, etc........ The detail of that has just not been put in to the model. This is a very public friendly enviroment. I can only put so much detail into sketchup. But I see what you saying.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 4:32 AM
▓▒░

Weren't you the one that claimed CDC was going to develop a big plot of land in Midtown? That was ages ago. Are you still going on about this?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 5:38 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ I believe it was only a few months ago. I'd call that good progress if he's made this elaborate rendering and plan in that time frame.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 5:49 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilon Doomm View Post
Weren't you the one that claimed CDC was going to develop a big plot of land in Midtown? That was ages ago. Are you still going on about this?
That was before I heard about Vornado and Brookfield developing on the sites that I wanted to.
That caused me to re-design the entire complex, as well as downsizing to only two buildings. This new design (not detailed 100%) should be the real deal.

Quick Question though:

Do you guys think that this design (both towers) will seem out of place when it comes time to build (10-15 years from now)? Keep in mind that these buildings have black glass wall facades. Would it matter? Would it be a turn off to the public?

And thank you fox

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:16 PM
Registirred User

Well honestly both towers look like they came from the late 80s/early 90s. The tallest one reminds me of the Trump World Tower near the UN. Not a very popular building among the public.

On a side note, you have to realize that it's the market forces that decide how tall a skyscraper will be or if it even gets built. If you have seen the proposals from other cities on this board, you probably have noticed how just about every highrise being built is shorter, or sometimes taller than the original plan. If I were you, I'd concentrate on my BA studies and look into designing much smaller things for now.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:30 PM
Autrefois

I like it. My only complaint (other than what other people have suggested about sprucing up the plaza) is that tower one is ridiculously tall. I'd lop off the top 30 stories and then give it an interesting crown. Just my personal opinion.

I think your best design is the hotel. That's a cool building.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:34 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Tower 1 looks to be thin because it is thin, not because it has a large base. It'd be incredibly difficult to turn a profit with such small floorplates.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:37 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthq View Post
Well honestly both towers look like they came from the late 80s/early 90s.
On a side note, you have to realize that it's the market forces that decide how tall a skyscraper will be or if it even gets built.
Yes, that international black box style is my favorite which is why I'm using it. I feel thats the true corporate look.

As you said regarding the market forces: Manhattan is in a desperate need for "Grade A" office space. A complex such of this sorts is quite practical in filling those needs as at the same time harboring retail, dining establishments, the UG Mall, and a subway station to attract large mass crowds (which equals large financial compensation).

The style is of which corporations will be prone to buying in as at the same time providing public ammenities. Therefore everyone wins. The City, the public, the tenants, and myself.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:41 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Tower 1 looks to be thin because it is thin, not because it has a large base. It'd be incredibly difficult to turn a profit with such small floorplates.
That was just a quick sketchup rendering to give you forumers some visiual insight as well as an idea on what I've been talking about. The tower itself is of much larger proportions. Tower two (just the tower) is the same way.

Sorry if I'm misleading you, but its the best i can do with that program and the time frame i had to do it in.

I will be posting a quick render of a Tower 1 Floor Plan within the week.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:49 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsas View Post
I like it. I'd lop off the top 30 stories and then give it an interesting crown. Just my personal opinion.

I think your best design is the hotel. That's a cool building.
Thank you for the input

The removing of the 30 or so floors wouldnt make sense for me. Given the fact the the city is in such a need for commercial space, would alter the practicality of such height. (I also want to make a statement for my company....Nice to go in with a boom).

The hotel was a big obstacle in the designing process for me. I needed to get it to fit in. If you pay close attention you will notice that on the four sides of the hotel there is a step pyrimad, half pyrimad, dome/half circle, and a full pryimad. Those represent the four major architectual innovations. They are also on the roof (in glass) ontop of the penthouse and statued in the plaza. I got the idea from Cesar Pelli's WFC.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:49 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I don't even understand where you would put this. Outside of the Brookfield/MSG and Con Ed sites, there just aren't any lots where you could build like this, unless you're planning to tear down Stuy-town or merge two blocks together or something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art