HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 5:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
A fantasy concept I designed— a tower that rises from a cantilever, preserving the Roosevelt's historic facade and Terminal City massing:

Nice work! But the reality is that something like that would never happen. The existing building counts as too much space for what would be a new tower on the site. Then there are the issues of the plaza, streetwall, setbacks, etc.

A new tower would look great among the rest of the new towers going up in the area though.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 6:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Lovely.

But my original thoughts were the envelope of the tower could come within 15 feet or so ofthe historic envelope, basically in line with the setback at the top of the structure all the way around if that makes sense. Essentially "saving" the Terminal City edifice of the Roosevelt while also building a massive office or mixed use tower would entail basically structurally supporting the façade - a façadectomy - until a new frame for a new tower inside - as well as new foundations under the tower envelope and core - would then reattach the historic facade to the new structure. For that reason I see no obvious purpose in ruling out so much prime square footage by cantelevering with such a significant inset like you have depicted.

I acknowledge it would likely be significantly more challenging than was Hearst Tower but in my opinion worth the effort. Talk about talk of the town to see that process.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 7:06 PM

I got really excited for a second. It architecture styles are too different, but what excited me the most was the engineering wonders that would come with this.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 1:04 AM
Sydney

Thank you for the feedback guys

In the fantasy universe where this gets built, a whole host of rules e.g. streetwall setbacks, FSR etc. would have to be ignored or bent. Perhaps parts of the old building could be "hollowed out" for multi-storey interior atria similar to the Marriott Marquis, reducing the amount of floor area that the historic building accounts for.

In terms of engineering, I imagine the structure would not be all too different from the likes of Tower Fifth or Yamasaki's Rainier Tower. The core would have to skirt the very edge of the GCT rail yard to rest on solid ground. All in all, I designed this model based on looks alone so it is very much fanciful.

Last edited by Xing Lin; Jan 18, 2023 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:24 AM
New Yorker for life

More of the same, still too early for specific details. But I do believe that the hotel will reopen for a period, like the Hyatt.

https://www.samaaenglish.tv/news/40026186

[b][size=4] Govt discloses new plans for Roosevelt Hotel in New York
Terms of reference to hire financial advisor for project finalized
SAMAA WEB DESK
Jan 26, 2023

Quote:
As the federal government seeks ways to increase revenues in foreign currency amid a crisis at home, it has decided to turn one overseas state property into a money minter.

In a meeting of the Privatization Commission’s (PC) Board on Wednesday, the privatization of the Roosevelt Hotel, owned by Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) came up.

…The board wondered why this white elephant was not being sold.

At this, the government told the board that it does not have any intention of selling the hotel.

Rather, the government has now unveiled new plans for the hotel.

The government said that it will be developed into a mixed-use high rise tower as a joint venture project through the best suited mode of privatization as delineated in the Privatization Commission Ordinance, 2000.

Meanwhile, the PC Board approved the terms of reference for the hiring a financial advisor for the project.

Earlier, the board was briefed about the implementation status of different directions issued in different meetings.

The board showed its appreciation for the status update and directed the management to resolve the pending issues besetting privatization.

It also advised that other government divisions should be approached to help Privatization Commission in its work.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 2:00 PM
BANNED

If this has condos and a hotel above the office portion, it could easily be over 1,500' tall.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 6:28 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
If this has condos and a hotel above the office portion, it could easily be over 1,500' tall.
I wonder if they'll be inspired to top 175 Park Avenue. Would be crazy to have a signature tower of such caliber.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I wonder if they'll be inspired to top 175 Park Avenue. Would be crazy to have a signature tower of such caliber.
I don't think that they care too much about surpassing others. JPMC has all the money in the world and could have built taller than Central Park Tower if it wanted to.

Nonetheless, if this is mixed use, it could be very tall.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:01 PM
New Yorker for life

January 28, 2023

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:18 PM
BANNED

I know that few agree with me, but unless something of the caliber of 175 Park is built here, I’d like to see this landmarked. It’s beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

I don't think it should be landmarked but I would like to see the façade saved in a facadectomy/new build tower program like has been discussed. As much as I want to see this original Terminal City edifice remain, I will admit it isn't significant enough to be a landmarking candidate, but that doesn't mean something isn't worth saving. Landmarking shouldn't be abused - ideally we would live in a culture where the default consensus is of course you should try to save such a building façade such as this one even if it means hollowing out the structure and essentially building a brand new 21st century building behind it. At least act like it's something to consider forgodsake.

Big picture I just worry that this Midtown East rezoning boom we're living through will result in loss that will be lamentable and a cold and sterile feel that was once, albeit worn, textured and warm.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:39 PM
BANNED

I don’t think that it’s an abuse of the LPC to take a broad view. So many stunning old buildings have been razed in the past fifteen years alone.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
I know that few agree with me, but unless something of the caliber of 175 Park is built here, I’d like to see this landmarked. It’s beautiful.
Agree with you, it should be landmarked!!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
Agree with you, it should be landmarked!!
I think that 175, 270, and 350 Park will be iconic landmarks. Also, they're all replacing junk (though 270 was tolerable at least).

The Roosevelt is a beautiful building.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
I think that 175, 270, and 350 Park will be iconic landmarks. Also, they're all replacing junk (though 270 was tolerable at least).

The Roosevelt is a beautiful building.
Exactly, there is plenty more junk in the area to tear down and build on.. Save the Roosevelt!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 4:14 AM
New Yorker for life

https://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/697...commercial-use

Cabinet approves redevelopment plan of Roosevelt hotel for commercial use

08 February,2023

Quote:
Federal Cabinet on Wednesday approved the redevelopment plan of the Roosevelt Hotel for commercial use.

The hotel would be redeveloped to establish an office tower, apartments, retail center, and other commercial centers in the building.

The redevelopment will be carried out through a joint-venture following lease system. On the other hand, the cabinet also approved the continuation of the process of appointment of financial advisors for the purpose.

https://twitter.com/PromoPakistan/st...33353713324032

Quote:
The cabinet has decided to dismantle the Roosevelt Hotel and use it for office tower, apartments, retail and other purposes, which was also approved through circulation.

The building will be redeveloped through a joint venture using the lease method.

https://www.24newshd.tv/08-Feb-2023/...el-in-new-york

Quote:
Federal Government Wednesday decided to shut down Roosevelt Hotel in New York owned by the national airlines PIA and use it as an office tower, apartments and for retail, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

The Federal cabinet approved the redevelopment of the building for commercial usage.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 1:19 PM
BANNED

While I suspect that there would be strong demand for an office tower here, I hope that these guys don’t raze The Roosevelt, and we get stuck with an empty lot.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 1:58 PM
Show me the blueprints

Its a bit hard to interpret with the Urdu to English translation but are they talking about gutting the building and repurposing it for mixed use or are they talking about razing it? Honest question cause some of the vocabulary is pretty unnatural and makes for a confusing statement.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
While I suspect that there would be strong demand for an office tower here, I hope that these guys don’t raze The Roosevelt, and we get stuck with an empty lot.
That won’t happen. They have to partner with a developer, come up with a development plan, then go through the approvals process. In the meantime, it’s possible the hotel will reopen in some form like the Hyatt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Its a bit hard to interpret with the Urdu to English translation but are they talking about gutting the building and repurposing it for mixed use or are they talking about razing it? Honest question cause some of the vocabulary is pretty unnatural and makes for a confusing statement.
The building will come down. It’s the only way they will be able to maximize the develipment there, which is the main reason they are closing the hotel. No developer will partner with that off the table, and we know only the newest, most up to date office space is in demand.

I had thought they might put a hotel at the top, but it looks like they may go condo. Currently, the max for that would be about 320,000 sf or so. ( or triple the size of the Steinway addition, in floor area). Removing hotel from the plan is one less thing to get approval for, even though it wouldn’t be difficult. But in either case, we’re looking at a few years before anything happens. But who knows, they were previously getting offers from developers, and the area is hot.

But in the end, it’s the same plan they came up with a couple of years ago, before lawsuits put everything on hold.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 3:57 PM

At first I was really pissed at the idea of this being torn down. But the more I look at pictures of it, it's not that outstanding of a building. Plenty more that are more beautiful and ornate.

As long as it is replaced with a supertall or even something in the 700-900 foot range and hopefully starchitect designed, I think it will be an acceptable loss.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals