HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Looks nice, though I'm still irritated/annoyed/disappointed they didn't build a station at the very end of where the tunnel actually exists at North Beach near Washington Square.

source
(with the additional extension in the future, though I'd extend it further down Bay Street to Fillmore to better serve the Marina)
You need turn back track after a final station, so they couldn’t build a station where they took the tunnel boring machines out (which is why they had to keep boring past the Chinatown station in the first place).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 4:56 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
You need turn back track after a final station, so they couldn’t build a station where they took the tunnel boring machines out (which is why they had to keep boring past the Chinatown station in the first place).
No you don't. You can just build a stub terminal with an interlocking before the final station. Depending on the frequency of service, you may need to have 3 platform tracks instead of two at the terminal, but this is for very frequent metro/subway lines, not light rail like Muni*. If money is no object, a tail track is a nicer solution because then departing trains and arriving trains are always on the same side of the platform, and it works as a downpayment on a future extension of the line. But you don't *need* to do this, and a few thousand feet of non-revenue tail track are very expensive.

* - Most of the T-Third runs on the street, which seriously limits how often they can run trains. So they will never operate the Central Subway frequently enough where the tail track is needed, and they can probably get away with a 2-track stub terminal and interlocking.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpermitted_variance View Post
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-17457607.php

First concepts for second Transbay rail crossing(s). Exciting to see some progress towards this project.
Will this let Amtrak offer services to downtown San Francisco now?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 6:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
Will this let Amtrak offer services to downtown San Francisco now?
Yes it would. And Caltrain to Oakland.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yes it would. And Caltrain to Oakland.
And by extension, CAHSR to Oakland. Though that's a bit later.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 8:02 PM

It’s a shame such a project couldn’t be built now and be built along with the Athletics new ballpark since it’ll be in need of BART

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No you don't. You can just build a stub terminal with an interlocking before the final station. Depending on the frequency of service, you may need to have 3 platform tracks instead of two at the terminal, but this is for very frequent metro/subway lines, not light rail like Muni*. If money is no object, a tail track is a nicer solution because then departing trains and arriving trains are always on the same side of the platform, and it works as a downpayment on a future extension of the line. But you don't *need* to do this, and a few thousand feet of non-revenue tail track are very expensive.

* - Most of the T-Third runs on the street, which seriously limits how often they can run trains. So they will never operate the Central Subway frequently enough where the tail track is needed, and they can probably get away with a 2-track stub terminal and interlocking.
Yes, you are correct, though I don’t think Muni would ever consider it an option given how much of a boondoggle the Embarcadero station was for decades using this setup until they extended the tracks to Caltrain. Though as you point out, the frequency on the T is much less than all of the lines that feed into the Market St subway.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:46 PM
你的媽媽

Soft launch on Nov 19, weekend only service between Chinatown and 4th & Brannan. Full service connecting to Vis Valley starting Jan 7.

https://twitter.com/SFMTA_Muni/statu...FyoTDlRZsebgvw

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 1:33 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Looks nice, though I'm still irritated/annoyed/disappointed they didn't build a station at the very end of where the tunnel actually exists at North Beach near Washington Square.

source
(with the additional extension in the future, though I'd extend it further down Bay Street to Fillmore to better serve the Marina)
This actually includes that disused tunnel?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
This actually includes that disused tunnel?
No it doesn't use that old tunnel. I believe that tunnel is part of the dashed gray line on this map, whereas the potential routing for an extension of the Central Subway is represented by the dashed blue line.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:16 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
No it doesn't use that old tunnel. I believe that tunnel is part of the dashed gray line on this map, whereas the potential routing for an extension of the Central Subway is represented by the dashed blue line.
Ok, that map (and others) are a little bit...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:41 AM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 10:31 PM
你的媽媽

Central Subway completed.

Some videos from Opening Day.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:48 PM

All I can think about seeing the Central Subway videos and pics is how grossly overbuilt the stations are for two car light rail. An absolute fortune was wasted here.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ I dont see how they are "grossly overbuilt". Would you have them with 100' platforms with tons of overcrowding? They are built obviously to accommodate 3 car trains. These are what a basic subway station with small diameter trackway bores is going to look like anywhere in the world. My beef is with some just plain weird aesthetic decisions. If anything the stations seem to lack a common design language and in some cases are under-appointed. The Union Square station concrete wall with utility conduit looks like crap. Please tell me they are going to cover that up and it's not someones actual design decision.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:43 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The Union Square station concrete wall with utility conduit looks like crap. Please tell me they are going to cover that up and it's not someones actual design decision.
Unfortunately, that was an actual design choice. I agree it would've been nicer to clad it in full white like the rest of the station.

https://sfbayca.com/2022/11/19/first...uni-milestone/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

Gag. Some things don't age well. That doesn't even qualify for the waiting period.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ I dont see how they are "grossly overbuilt". Would you have them with 100' platforms with tons of overcrowding? They are built obviously to accommodate 3 car trains. These are what a basic subway station with small diameter trackway bores is going to look like anywhere in the world. My beef is with some just plain weird aesthetic decisions. If anything the stations seem to lack a common design language and in some cases are under-appointed. The Union Square station concrete wall with utility conduit looks like crap. Please tell me they are going to cover that up and it's not someones actual design decision.
Nope 2 car trains only. My complaints are not specific, or limited to what I've seen of the platform level. Everything above that is overbuilt and that's just the parts I can see (assume BOH sizable). I do also think the design elements are fated to age poorly.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ Youre right, I stand corrected. I havent followed the Central Subway saga all that closely to be honest. I will say though that since the T line isnt part of the (Market St trunk thus requiring interoperability) Muni Metro, theres no reason they couldnt use a specific rail vehicle on this line like a single long segmented tram/LRV that at lease filled out the USABLE length of the platform which is approx. 210 feet in length. The current 150 foot long 2-car trains leave platform length at both ends and when combined with the lost interior space taken by the cab ends when coupled together thats practically the same capacity as with 3-car trains.

Last edited by Busy Bee; Nov 21, 2022 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:56 PM

It'll be interesting to see how ridership grows after full service is established. This is a rare example of an existing light rail service suddenly being made to enjoy a red carpet pathway into a downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation