HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Ugh. What a shame.

It is a shame. They're just making a bad situation worse.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-t...-conferen.aspx

Quote:
Everybody knows that I think our Penn Plaza assets are our main event. I have even called Penn Plaza the Promised Land. Our transformation here will begin with Penn One and Penn Two, where we will create a two building 4.4 million square foot campus right on top of Penn Station. It will include a three block Grand Plaza along Seventh Avenue covered by a giant new bustle across the entire 400-foot frontage of Penn Two.

This bustle will extend 70 feet from the building and will be 45 feet above the street. It will serve a dual purpose. It will be striking, creating a huge covered plaza in front of our Penn Two and the main entrance to Penn Station, and bring the neighborhood into the modern age, and at the same time, it will create a 140,000 square feet of very valuable new two 20 foot-high best-in-class creative space. Images of this design will be posted on our website tomorrow under the call sign www.vno.com/portfolio/development.
Quote:
The scale of our campus here allows us to provide our tenants with the best -- with the biggest and best unparalleled amenity package, even a giant leap forward from what many of you seen we have done at theMART. Also in Penn Plaza, we are well under way at Farley to deliver in 2020 the best creative space in Manhattan. We will be announcing later today that we are increasing our ownership in Farley.

And there's much more to come in the Penn district. These assets are at the heart of the new New York adjacent to the Hudson Yards and Manhattan West developments and sit literally on top of the busiest transportation hub in North America. And don't forget the adjacencies to Macy's, the biggest department store in the country, and Madison Square Garden.
Quote:
At Penn One, we leased 82,000 square feet with 80% of that activity representing the movement of tenants from Penn Two. As you know, prior to year-end, we will commence our significant renovation program at Penn One that will transform this 2.6 million square foot asset with an expanded double height lobby, one acre of upgraded plazas, co-working and conflicting facilities, a robust amenity package with full offerings and tenant services spanning the entire second and third floors.

At Penn Two, we are now finalizing plans for a dramatic renovation and expansion of this existing 1.6 million square foot asset located directly on top of Penn Station, turning the two buildings Penn One and Penn Two into what will be a 4.4 million square foot campus. Penn Two project will include a full recladding of the facade, new mechanical systems, and new tenant entry sequence adjacent to Plaza 33 all integrated with a full amenity package, and as Steve mentioned, the addition of a striking four-story bustle that will transform both the existing building and the public realm.

In connection with this redevelopment, we will be vacating Penn Two up to the 10th floor, and we have begun relocating number of the tenants from Penn Two into Penn One. We anticipate starting physical work in Penn Two in the first quarter of 2020.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:16 AM

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:19 AM
New Yorker for life

This is just horrid, not the gateway that Penn Station needs.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:20 AM
DENNAB

Yea it looks fine, what's to be upset about?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
There is nothing to be upset about. But 2 Penn Plaza was already a turd that sits atop Penn Station, sucking the life or any chance of a rebuilt station underneath. Making the turd more squat is hardly an improvement. It will be more space for tenants of course, but its an already oppressive building from any angle. I walk through and into this area daily. This is hardly the improvement people expect and want for that area. Not content to just be the toilet bowl (along with MSG), it would now be like the aliens have landed the mothership on top of Penn Station. It's oppressive.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

I'm with you. I think it looks pretty damn good

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:44 AM

Yeah I understand how it's a missed opportunity for the underground portion of Penn Station directly beneath but it's definitely an improvement over what is currently there IMO, both in terms of design and pedestrian space

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 12:24 PM

0 improvement to the public experience in Penn station- this is a clear opportunity to open up some of the station below. That should be a requirement that politicians should be clamoring for. Whatever they do here is what we're going to be stuck with for the next 25 years at least.

Last edited by JSsocal; Oct 31, 2018 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:53 PM
BANNED

It looks good. Hopefully, 1 Penn will be reclad too. The heinous block to the north of the Hotel Penn is screaming for redevelopment. It makes the area look like a dump.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:48 PM
Metal Up Your !

These bland glass boxes. I've had just enough of seeing these proposed. No creativity, no ingenuity, no soul, no character. It will look outdated in 5 or 10 years. I'm glad some people like it, but I feel bad for the city. NYC deserves much better.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:25 PM

It's already looked dated.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

1Penn looks nice the way it is. Please don't f with it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
0 improvement to the public experience in Penn station- this is a clear opportunity to open up some of the station below. That should be a requirement that politicians should be clamoring for. Whatever they do here is what we're going to be stuck with for the next 25 years at least.
People always complain about MSG sitting on top of Penn Station, and always forget about the other half, 2 Penn Plaza. I just walked down 32nd Street, like I always do, looking at this huge building as a terminus. Standing across 7th Ave and visualizing what this donut will do. It's hard to imagine what kind of city zoning could allow this. It must be as-of-right since they haven't mentioned any approvals for this design. Cuomo should take advantage if his new "powers" over the area, and try to block this.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:17 AM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
1Penn looks nice the way it is. Please don't f with it.
I second that! I might replace some mismatched windows and polish its pinstriping, but I like just the way it is.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:34 PM

1 Penn looks nice? It's a blocky, drab pitiful hulk of architectural dreck. I wish it were replaced fully... that won't happen, so better reclad and refurbish.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:10 AM
Crane Goddess

^That's just your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions and certain body parts.
I might experiment with increasing the space between pinstripes, so that each pinstripe stands out more. Polish them so that they really catch the light, and replace the old windows with piercing black glass, something like the Luxor in Las Vegas. Freshen it up some, but respect the original design.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:23 PM

Lipstick on a pig. Lets rebuild the old Penn Station.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:46 AM
New Yorker for life

The more I think about this, the more absurd it is. If they weren't dead serious, I'd think it were a joke.

Quote:
Roth said that strategy would also add “the better part of 300,000 square feet” of new space to the building, via a “donut”-like addition that would bolster floorplates on the building’s lower floors.

I can understand the need to upgrade the building itself, most buildings in the city could use that.

The current state of affairs isn't great at all, but they can do so much better than what they are planning.

https://www.vno.com/street-retail/pr...311676/landing

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 7:12 AM

At least you can duck under it during a rainstorm.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Yeah I understand how it's a missed opportunity for the underground portion of Penn Station directly beneath but it's definitely an improvement over what is currently there IMO, both in terms of design and pedestrian space
Cancer is an improvement for 2PP. That doesn't make it a good one.

Plus, it gives that scumbag Dolan the excuse to say "whats the point of moving MSG" when it comes time to renew his license.

And, it still looks like a lazy, shitty box.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction