HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 6:48 AM
BANNED

Until this clown show expands to 10 teams I cannot take it seriously.

How they have not become 5/5 by now is simply baffling to me.

Hali? QC?

And half of these poor schmucks can't even afford to live in Toronto or Vancouver - the cities they're playing for.

Because they're making the equivalent of minimum wage.

Clown show!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ski View Post
Fine, then piss off and allow the rest of us to enjoy it in peace. What kind of a clown watches something he doesn't enjoy.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 12, 2022 at 2:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:38 AM

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers were defeated by the Montreal Alouettes on Thursday night by a score of 20-17 in front of 31,053 fans at IG Field. Below are my thoughts on the game.

Packed house

IG Field was electric on Thursday night, though the Alouettes handled the noise better than most of the teams that visit Winnipeg. Fans were encouraged to arrive at the game early due to construction on nearby University Crescent — more on that in a moment — resulting in a crowd that was extra eager for the opening kickoff.

The Blue Bombers are averaging crowds of 27,600 this season and currently lead the league in attendance per game. Winnipeg is one of three teams that has never led the CFL in attendance — the other two are Hamilton and Ottawa — which puts them on track to make history in 2022.

It’s clear that the club’s recent success has given fans a renewed sense of pride in their team. I took my dog on a walk on Thursday morning and ran errands for most of the afternoon and saw a ton of merchandise around the city — jerseys, t-shirts, hats, car flags, you name it.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have led the CFL in attendance for the past five seasons, while the Edmonton Football Team led the league in attendance every year from 1993 to 2015 with two exceptions: Calgary in 2000 and Saskatchewan in 2013.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:02 PM

Hopefully this win gives montreal some momentum and a chance to grab the east from Toronto

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:19 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Augh. Heartbreaker at IG Field. The game reminded me of any number of episodes of "Mayday", where quite often a plane crash is a result of a bunch of seemingly minor and correctable things that all line up in a row to the point it ends up downing a plane.

-Collaros being pressured all night
-Critical fraction of an inch offside penalty at a crucial goal line stand
-Several borderline questionable referee calls
-Absolutely disastrous shanking of what should have been an easy walk-off field goal
-Hitting the upright on a makeable FG to tie the game in OT

It's easy to blame the kicker since he messed up at two very clutch moments late in the game, but he is certainly not the only one at fault.

The hush that fell over the crowd tonight when that ball hit the upright in OT was just something else...
Montreal played well. Both teams missed pretty easy field games.

Great crowd though and close throughout.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Montreal played well. Both teams missed pretty easy field games.

Great crowd though and close throughout.
Montreal played well last week, they really pressured Collaros well. I expected that to get corrected by the Bombers but it looked to me like Montreal did even better with the pass rush last night. Montreal sends a lot of blitzes (arguably a way to cover up for the deficiencies of their front four) so I was hoping the Bombers would exploit that with more quick releases, but that didn't really happen much. I have to hand it to Montreal, they really made the most of their assets last night and played a disciplined game.

It was a rough night for the kickers on both sides for sure with two doinks and a straight up shank.

I will be haunted by the many "if only that hadn't happened" scenarios that played out last night

Now I get that expecting an unbeaten season is unrealistic, and the Bombers had enough close calls to make it clear they weren't likely to finish 18-0. But I have to admit I enjoyed the last few weeks of fan euphoria, where we got to live the dream of a perfect team. No doubt this loss will quiet down the Bomber hype machine a little, but that said, I don't think any Bomber fan would have been upset if you had told them back in the spring the team would be 9-1 heading into the first bye week.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:04 PM

Did I miss something about the game at Winnipeg. Was there a reason for such a big crowd against Montreal or was it just about supporting the winning streak. Really bodes well for the Peg though. Edit: was the reason for the crowd because it was a back to back game.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:19 PM

^ It's roughly what I would have expected considering the circumstances, I was actually a surprised it wasn't a sellout. A Bomber home game in August will usually draw around 26, 27 thousand people give or take, and the winning streak and the considerable hype it has earned them locally probably helped to sell a few more tickets to casual fans.

The loss last night means that the game vs. Calgary won't sell out, although I expect it will still draw a good crowd.

The handful of Montreal fans at the game last night (probably tied with Toronto for poorest drawing road team, pretty much the opposite of what we see with hockey ) were celebrating vigorously after their win... what they lacked in numbers they made up for in enthusiasm!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
what they lacked in numbers they made up for in enthusiasm!
It's good to see as Stern doesn't lack for any enthusiasm and the front office trolling people about the air horns. They seem to be a fun bunch and you better be having fun if you have a losing record.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ski View Post

How they have not become 5/5 by now is simply baffling to me.

Hali? QC?

And half of these poor schmucks can't even afford to live in Toronto or Vancouver - the cities they're playing for.

Because they're making the equivalent of minimum wage.

Clown show!
They are making equivalent of minimum wage? Apparently the “average” is between $60k - $100k. For a 6 month season. I’d love to be making that “minimum” wage, playing a sport I love…. This really just shows how dumb and uneducated you are on the subject. So piss off.

Oh btw, the NHL must have been such a joke of a league back in the day of 6 teams. Leafs fans should feel outright embarrassed that they could only win a cup when the league was only 6 teams… your inferiority is shining so bright!

You’re such a clown… adios Ma Fugga

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 9:13 PM

Amazing that the Ti Cats can get NBA stars to attend their game yet MLSE owning the Raptors and Argos cannot. I remember in the early 2000s the Argos were getting Vince Carter attending games.

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/13/c...aaron-wiggins/

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats hosted a notable fan at field level on Friday night for the Battle of Ontario.

The team revealed on Twitter following the final whistle that Oklahoma City Thunder guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was in attendance at Tim Hortons Field to cheer on his hometown team. Raised in Hamilton, the Canadian NBA star looked to be enjoying the classic CFL action while sporting a vintage Ticats shirt.

The Kentucky product was a first-round selection, eleventh overall, by the Charlotte Hornets in the 2018 NBA Draft. He was traded the same day to the Los Angeles Clippers, with whom Gilgeous-Alexander was selected second-team NBA All-Rookie.

The budding Canadian was traded to Oklahoma City in 2019 as part of a massive package for all-star Paul George. Gilgeous-Alexander averaged 24.5 points, 5.9 assists and five rebounds in 56 games last season. He signed a five-year extension valued at $172 million in August of 2021, with the potential to make $207 million if he is ever selected to the All-NBA team.

Joining Gilgeous-Alexander on the sidelines were a pair of Thunder teammates, Luguentz Dort and Aaron Wiggins.

Hailing from Montreal, Dort went undrafted out of Arizona State in the 2019 NBA Draft but has since established himself as a valuable contributor for the Thunder. He averaged 17.2 points per game in 51 contests last year, cashing in on a five-year, $87.5 million extension in July.

A native of Greensboro, North Carolina, Wiggins has turned into an effective role player since being drafted in the second round of the 2021 NBA Draft. He was the Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year during his time at Maryland.

The celebrity presence seems to have only helped the Ticats, as they rallied for a 34-27 victory over the rival Toronto Argonauts with Gilgeous-Alexander watching on.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Yeah he said every cfl team would whoop Alabama on ESPN and they were impressed and did not realize it was that good quality of player
Start at 3:50

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:15 AM

Bc lions beat Calgary 41 40 in a shoot out. Rourke almost 500 yards passing he is on pace to break Doug Flutie's single season touchdown record of 48 tds and could possibly still break Flutie's single season passing yards record of 6600 plus yards. Very likely now Rourke gets a shot in the NFL next year unless Doman can maybe sign him to 750k a year i am not sure.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:22 AM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
They are making equivalent of minimum wage? Apparently the “average” is between $60k - $100k. For a 6 month season. I’d love to be making that “minimum” wage, playing a sport I love…. This really just shows how dumb and uneducated you are on the subject. So piss off.

Oh btw, the NHL must have been such a joke of a league back in the day of 6 teams. Leafs fans should feel outright embarrassed that they could only win a cup when the league was only 6 teams… your inferiority is shining so bright!

You’re such a clown… adios Ma Fugga
Grrr Toronto Bad

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:26 AM

That final drive engineered by Rourke was a thing of beauty. I'm also jelly of the game winning FG.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:28 AM

Rourke should be in serious consideration for Lou Marsh Canadian male athlete of the year up there with Andre De Grasse right now for sure. BC fans better start showing up more now as they have a very special talent on their hands not seen since Flutie.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 5:55 AM

Wow can't wait to see the highlights!
Now we're 7-1?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Wow can't wait to see the highlights! Now we're 7-1?
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Wow can't wait to see the highlights!
Now we're 7-1?
Yeah... there's the Bombers and the Lions, and then there's everybody else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada