HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
Does anyone have any new info on the redevelopment of Underground? Has the Avery gotten underway? It's just seems to be stalling out and not moving forward at all.

South downtown needs this project, like the Falcon's need a Superbowl ring.
From what I understand, they had to part ways with the student housing developer because they weren't able to meet the timeline they were going for. The the student apartments have to be built first followed by the Avery since they share the block.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:41 AM

Any update on the nearby former Atlanta Constitution building?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Any update on the nearby former Atlanta Constitution building?
Invest Atlanta just approved $2 million for its renovation at the August Board Meeting. Financial closing should happen in December, followed by construction in June 2019.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:16 PM

T.J. Maxx Headed To Underground Atlanta?

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...-atlanta-93528

Quote:
A South Carolina developer who is underway with transforming Downtown Atlanta landmark Underground Atlanta is in talks with a handful of retail anchors, including T.J. Maxx. Gamma Real Estate President Jonathan Kalikow confirmed on a Bisnow panel Wednesday that WRS Inc., which is redeveloping Underground Atlanta, is having “ongoing discussions” with TJX Cos., the parent company that owns the big-box discount apparel retailer T.J. Maxx, to locate a possible store at the project.

Officials with WRS previously told Curbed that it was working on securing leases with a hyperlocal grocery store, a movie theater, a pastry shop and a clothing store, without naming specifics. “We’ve been contacted by several small — very small-format — national and regional grocers,” WRS Chief Operating Officer Steve Howe told Curbed. “We're trying to make the right play here.”

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 2:26 AM

Underground Atlanta

I'm very excited about Future night club and TJ Maxx. They would be great additions to the DT scene, and a draw for miles around.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 5:14 AM

tj fucking max.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
tj fucking max.
I didn't know anything about TJ Maxx until I got married. Now I know all about TJ Maxx and am super excited that it could possibly come to DT.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 8:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
tj fucking max.
What's wrong with TJ Maxx?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalResNativAtlant View Post
I'm very excited about Future night club and TJ Maxx. They would be great additions to the DT scene, and a draw for miles around.
I missed this but I agree. I think these are huge wins downtown's. Downtown is progressing little by little.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:09 PM

New plans Revealed for Underground Atlanta

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline
Quote:
A $450 million plan to redevelop Underground Atlanta is expected to take off in 2020 with the construction of a new hotel, apartments and an entertainment venue.

Smith said the four-block development has signed several letters of intent with other developers and tenants (for residential and retail spaces), and those deals should close within the next 120 days.

In an exclusive interview to the Atlanta Business Chronicle, T. Scott Smith, president of South Carolina-based WRS Inc., announced several new projects.
They include:
  • A YOTEL Hotel, a high-tech concept that features “yobots” as automated luggage concierge as well as delivery robots for amenity requests. The YOTEL will be located at the corner of Peachtree Street and Wall Street with 320 rooms built on top of street-level retail and will be 12 to 15 stories high;
  • A new location for a mid-rise affordable housing project from Prestwick Cos. The $38 million, 130-unit development will be built on top of three floors of new retail on the site that is now known as the Exchange at the corner of Alabama and Central streets. Prestwick and WRS also hope to begin construction on the building that will replace the Exchange in 2020;
  • And a new nightclub – Future – that will cater to the LGBT community and feature drag queen performances that will take about 12,000 square feet at the corner of Lower Alabama and Pryor streets.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 28, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Some other quotes about why visible progress has taken so long
Quote:
Smith thanked nearby residents and interested citizens for their patience over the past two years.

“What we have been doing are things you just can’t see. Underground had been neglected for years and years,” Smith said. It has taken this long to stabilize the property by reroofing portions of the older buildings, eradicating mold, removing drywall and bringing the buildings up to code.

“We want it to look like it did 100 years ago,” Smith said. “We are just now prepared to start coming in and getting tenants. Everything we’ve been trying to do is different. We want to get rid of the mall feeling in this whole development.”

On the two blocks south of Alabama Street, Smith said the goal will be to have “eclectic” local retail tenants and restaurants – describing them as mom-and-pops and unique spots that will attract tourists and residents.

On the two blocks north of Alabama Street, the plan is to have national and regional tenants that will serve the retail needs of the development as well as people nearby. Smith said 19,000 people live within a mile of Underground. And the property is adjacent to the cluster of city, county, state and federal government offices as well as Georgia State University.
This is good to know. I went to some theater performances in the old Dante's space and could see this kind of environmental work going on around there. I guess it was more intense than I figured. Been to a few shows at Masquerade and I can definitely vouch for the fact that people will show up downtown if you book stuff they want to see. I'm glad WRS is moving forward with a Grand Vision!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
What's wrong with TJ Maxx?
its fine, i'm just being bougie; i've even shopped there occasionally in the past. i just feel like these kinds of retail tenant announcements set the tone for things to come, and tj maxx is usually in strip malls.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 7:00 PM

I found this image on Chris Bender's twitter feed:
NEW----------

OLD-----------

I am disapointed they are not planning on building a building over the MARTA tracks anymore. From a noise and aesthetics standpoint, this is a wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I am disapointed they are not planning on building a building over the MARTA tracks anymore. From a noise and aesthetics standpoint, this is a wasted opportunity.
I agree. From the Business Chronicle article, the residential developer found it was too expensive to build over the tracks for that project. If that's too expensive for residential then I think they should develop that block later rather than settling for just dorms and some retail.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:02 AM

More Details on the Yotel

https://atlantaintownpaper.com/2019/...round-atlanta/

Quote:
The new hotel will feature 234 “cabins” designed for short stays (YOTEL) and 117 “PADs” for longer stays (YOTELPAD). Construction of the hotel is set to begin in summer 2020, with an anticipated opening date of Autumn 2022.

The “smart hotel” will feature self-check-in kiosks, adjustable SmartBeds, outdoor pool and terrace, rooftop bar, “GRAB+GO” cafe on the ground floor and KOMYUNITI, a combination restaurant and co-working space.

YOTELPAD room

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 7:44 AM

I hope Yotel happens, but ground breaking is so far away, so I will hold my excitement. I was in the Five Points and Underground area recently, and it is so depressing. Marta definitely need to renovate all of Five points as well. Its as if that area has no soul; I can only imagine what first time visitors think of the area.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:11 AM

According to someone that attended the recent neighborhood update, the design of the project received some pushback from the planning department. We can expect some new renderings of the project going forward.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:05 AM

delete

Last edited by AtlHeel; Oct 18, 2019 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
I hope Yotel happens, but ground breaking is so far away, so I will hold my excitement. I was in the Five Points and Underground area recently, and it is so depressing. Marta definitely need to renovate all of Five points as well. Its as if that area has no soul; I can only imagine what first time visitors think of the area.
If it’s any consolation, Yotel Miami took forever, but is now underway.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
According to someone that attended the recent neighborhood update, the design of the project received some pushback from the planning department. We can expect some new renderings of the project going forward.
Thank God! That's great news!

Developer modernism in the historic heart of the city would have a disaster.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta