HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 10:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I walked through the Arizona Center for the first time in a while today. Construction on the AC hotel is proceeding nicely, but otherwise it was pretty bleak. In terms of restaurants, 1130 and Coyote Cafe are both temporarily closed. Mi Amigos has gone out of business completely. Starbucks is nominally open but had closed by the time I walked through at 2:30 PM. The one hopeful sign is that the Fooda pop-up, which brings different restaurants on site on various days of the week, is resuming operations Monday, September 21. I'll appreciate that since I've returned to working at my office after several months of telecommuting exile. Overall, this pandemic is coming on the heels of a renovation that made the place look better but didn't attract major new tenants. I hope things get better once the hotel opens.
I have been walking by almost daily. I loved 1130's happy-hour specials and hope they will reopen. But I am wondering if 1130 is done permanently? They should have been able to open by now. I believe the AMC renovation has been put on hold as well. I really hope Palm Court moves. This place really needs the bump in tenants or it may be time to nail up the coffin.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I believe the AMC renovation has been put on hold as well. I really hope Palm Court moves. This place really needs the bump in tenants or it may be time to nail up the coffin.
Damn,that AMC theater desperately needed to be renovated x.x they would do good continuing the renovation. Once everything gets back to normal in a year or so, a brand new theater would be my destination. This sucks!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 6:37 AM

Quote:
I walked through the Arizona Center for the first time in a while today. Construction on the AC hotel is proceeding nicely, but otherwise it was pretty bleak. In terms of restaurants, 1130 and Coyote Cafe are both temporarily closed. Mi Amigos has gone out of business completely. Starbucks is nominally open but had closed by the time I walked through at 2:30 PM. The one hopeful sign is that the Fooda pop-up, which brings different restaurants on site on various days of the week, is resuming operations Monday, September 21. I'll appreciate that since I've returned to working at my office after several months of telecommuting exile. Overall, this pandemic is coming on the heels of a renovation that made the place look better but didn't attract major new tenants. I hope things get better once the hotel opens.
Do you work at the AZ Center? APS has the most workers there right? Anyone know if they are going back soon?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:40 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Do you work at the AZ Center? APS has the most workers there right? Anyone know if they are going back soon?
I work nearby. APS is definitely the biggest employer there. There's a sign in the building lobby that says something like "no visitors; employees only." I suspect many employees are still working remotely, though.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
I work nearby. APS is definitely the biggest employer there. There's a sign in the building lobby that says something like "no visitors; employees only." I suspect many employees are still working remotely, though.
I have a friend who works for APS. He does not work in that office building but has an office job at another facility. He told me that office staff is home until no sooner than January 2021.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:53 PM
self-important urbanista

One new tenant at the Arizona Center: There's a small Bank of America branch going in near Subway. It looks like it will have ATMs inside a sort of lobby and some rooms off to the side, maybe for appointments with bank staff to handle more complex transactions. I wonder if this is designed to serve the growing student populations in the area.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
One new tenant at the Arizona Center: There's a small Bank of America branch going in near Subway. It looks like it will have ATMs inside a sort of lobby and some rooms off to the side, maybe for appointments with bank staff to handle more complex transactions. I wonder if this is designed to serve the growing student populations in the area.
Have you seen the small branch at 7th St and McDowell? Not staffed at all and the private rooms to the side are to have appointments with virtual Tellers/Loan Officers/etc. Pretty cool actually. Wonder if this location will be similar?

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Sep 24, 2020 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:17 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Have you seen the small branch at 7th St and McDowell? Not staffed at all and the private rooms to the side are to have meetings with virtual appointments with Tellers/Loan Officers/etc. Pretty cool actually. Wonder if this location will be similar?
That makes sense, and the virtual appointments seem logical at smaller locations even after the pandemic has passed.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 5:41 PM

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 5:44 PM

I'm a little confused as to what this means. Are they speaking about Palm Court Tower being only 13 stories?

COVID-19 pandemic takes toll on Arizona Center in Downtown Phoenix
AZBIGMEDIA.COM BUSINESS NEWS | 25 minutes ago | PAYTON MAJOR
11/19/20

"“We are continuing to receive inquiries regarding leasing space at our retail center. The new AC Hotel by Marriott will open at the beginning of 2021, and we will soon start construction on a 13-story residential tower,” Cicuttini said."

https://azbigmedia.com/business/covi...ntown-phoenix/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 6:14 PM

If this is the only casualty from Covid Fallout we've been extremely lucky.

It will be disappointing to have a stunty 13 story building on that corner

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 6:18 PM

Arizona Center was struggling pre-covid, why anyone would be surprised by what's happening during covid is hard to understand.

Once they get some hotel beds and housing on property it will help a bit but that piece of real estate needs some serious imagination to save what's there. Wish I had more experience in commercial to theorize on how they might make something work but for now it just looks prety bleak.

And why do you all have a negative outlook about more housing being built?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
It will be disappointing to have a stunty 13 story building on that corner
I am wondering if that was a typo, 13 instead of 31. I have seen documents about the tower being anywhere from 29-31. If they did that big of a reduction, it would majorly change the building and parking ratios, and they would most likely have to do a new pre-app submittal.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
I am wondering if that was a typo, 13 instead of 31. I have seen documents about the tower being anywhere from 29-31. If they did that big of a reduction, it would majorly change the building and parking ratios, and they would most likely have to do a new pre-app submittal.
That was my first thought too, a typo. I'll just wait for confirmation.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Arizona Center was struggling pre-covid, why anyone would be surprised by what's happening during covid is hard to understand.

Once they get some hotel beds and housing on property it will help a bit but that piece of real estate needs some serious imagination to save what's there. Wish I had more experience in commercial to theorize on how they might make something work but for now it just looks prety bleak.

And why do you all have a negative outlook about more housing being built?
Biggus, you have a way with words. Of course I am not surprised by what's happening during covid. The purpose of my post was to inform and question if anyone else has heard anything about this and if they thought this was about Palmcourt Tower, not to have a panic attack, make anything hard for you to understand or come across as a dolt myself.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Typo we hope isn't the hotel 13 stories?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Typo we hope isn't the hotel 13 stories?
Apartment tower was supposed to be around 29-31 stories. Maybe it was confirmed to be 31 stories and it was a typo. We are not talking about the AC Marriott since this one is close to wrapping up

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:15 PM

Maybe IndyAZ or someone else can answer this question. Wouldn't Palmcourt have to amend all thier permits they have obtained or applied for?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Biggus, you have a way with words. Of course I am not surprised by what's happening during covid. The purpose of my post was to inform and question if anyone else has heard anything about this and if they thought this was about Palmcourt Tower, not to have a panic attack, make anything hard for you to understand or come across as a dolt myself.
My post wasn't directed at you or anyone else for that matter. I read three people in a row who sounded pretty concerned. I expect AZ Center to be struggling so if they axe or cancel the tower it shouldn't be big news, in my opinion.

edit: to clarify the guys in my orbit all think it's still going to be built. The apartment market is still hot.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:41 PM

HAS TO be an error. Makes zero sense. If they are having problem leasing the retail then they’d want more full time residents, not less. Also, if they are gonna look at the retail as a sunk cost you’d still want more apartments, not less as demand is very high and can offset retail loses.

Really hoping the author made a mistake here, because I don’t get the logic otherwise. They may as well sell the land if they are not interested in maximizing their ROI.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest