HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 9:14 PM
THAT Guy

It's not great, but way better than that stupid clock tower design.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 9:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Regardless of the design, that's a pretty damn dense development for being out in the neighborhoods, but it's near the L and I'm all in favor of it.
Completely agree. I just worry about what this area looks like once the Office building, Hotel, and that horrific Addison Park on Clark development are complete. Granted all three developments are essentially replacing parking lots, there is a huge missed opportunity here, but whatever, I've given up on Wrigleyville from a design perspective

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
It's not great, but way better than that stupid clock tower design.
Just want to make sure you noticed.. there remains a clock tower. A very odd one at that.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 12:03 AM

This is a total mashup design with strange massing, but I think it's an improvement over the previous design. At least they lost the cartoonish historic elements, and I sort of dig that the right half is making a reference to the steel structure of Wrigley.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 3:33 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Agree about it being a definite improvement. Also agree that it is mediocre and a definite missed opportunity.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Nov 25, 2015 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:40 PM

I actually enjoyed the attempted 1920s looking building. I liked it thematically.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:48 PM

Is it just me, or are the middle 5 sections of the top row of metal panels missing a mullion? It's four all the way down for the end two sections, but the others have 3 unevenly spaced panels in the top row and then 4 evenly spaced panels in the other rows.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
Remember when everyone was complaining about the clock tower on the Wrigley Plaza building? Well, it's gone, as is any architectural merit. New design looks like something you would find in a mall parking lot. http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...za-renders.php
Yeah, this is bad....really bad...lol.

That's the thing people have to realize....sometimes, when you gripe about something, you oftentimes get something much, much worse...lol

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:45 AM

Looks cheap and bland for such a prominate location. Visual clutter. Looks like new suburban school construction.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 5:49 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I was thinking a suburban hospital annex. But yea.......

Still miles ahead of the previous plan.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 2:41 PM

The previous historicist plan was cheesy, but at least it was unified. This is just a collection of about 7 different clunky forms. There's no relationship either to the stadium or the surrounding buildings, or even within the sections of the building itself. It's extremely clumsy.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 10:07 PM
Walk taker

Oof, sorry Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 1:15 AM

A lot of you are criticizing this as if it were the star attraction. This is Robin to the Batman of Wrigley Field itself. In that role, it's not that bad.

It gives fans a lot of vistas to look out on that famous marquee and it provides a nice blank canvas to show highlights of the Cubs games, concerts, and other events. I can see this triangle lot becoming a new gathering place during the summer, after games, in the playoffs, etc. Wrigleyville is the unofficial sports landmark of Chicago and this open space where once a hard, inaccessible concrete lot once lived is going to become the center of the sports world of Chicago. For that reason, i like the design and how they carved out public space capped off with a nice big video board.

No, it is not much to look at, but it's something to go to.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 2:15 AM

I realize it's just a place holder but due to the shitty suburban design I will forever refer to this as Brand Plaza

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 6:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
A lot of you are criticizing this as if it were the star attraction. This is Robin to the Batman of Wrigley Field itself. In that role, it's not that bad.

It gives fans a lot of vistas to look out on that famous marquee and it provides a nice blank canvas to show highlights of the Cubs games, concerts, and other events. I can see this triangle lot becoming a new gathering place during the summer, after games, in the playoffs, etc. Wrigleyville is the unofficial sports landmark of Chicago and this open space where once a hard, inaccessible concrete lot once lived is going to become the center of the sports world of Chicago. For that reason, i like the design and how they carved out public space capped off with a nice big video board.

Nobody is arguing the function of the building, or how it will bring people to this one time surface lot, but this structure is not some tool shed hidden out of site; it will be the second largest building in the neighborhood (behind only Wrigley) and sits prominently along clark, we should expect more of this building.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post

no, it is bad. really bad. this is clark street in the middle of a vibrant neighbohrood. this looks like it belongs in an office park somewhere. why are there like 6 different facades on this thing, none of which are interesting. if youre going to go modern, go modern. if youre going for a faux-historic look, at least go all the way and make the design use appropriate materials and have a unified look. this is the worst of both worlds. also, that astroturf plaza is going to be a desolate wasteland most of the year. what about this building says "inside these walls is one of the most revered and beloved brands in the history of professional sports"? absolutely nothing

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:21 PM

It's like architects have gotten so used to clunkily welding new glass/steel additions onto existing masonry buildings, that now they're even designing all new buildings that way.
If the masonry half was an actual historic warehouse from 1920 this would be acceptable.
As it is, it has less punch than the Cubs offense against the Mets.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
also, that astroturf plaza is going to be a desolate wasteland most of the year.
Past renders showed an ice skating rink during the winter. Is that still planned?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:24 PM

On a Wrigley Field side note, the Wrigley/Rickets episode of Undercover Boss was pretty good.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Past renders showed an ice skating rink during the winter. Is that still planned?
The article from DNAinfo states the club is still planning on hosting childrens movies, a farmers market, and an ice skating rink in the winter.

For those decrying the mix of materials, Wrigley has a similar mix of materials with the exception of all that glass. The modern-looking glass parts of the Triangle Lot building are really the only parts of the design that are not a part of Wrigley Field itself. Wrigley has a lot of exposed steel. In fact, the full plans include a similar 2-story steel design for an expanded Captain Morgan Club. I am not such a fan of that particular element of the redesign. I do wonder why the designers of the Triangle Lot seem to want to use black steel cladding when they could easily paint it green to mesh with the design of Wrigley. I hope they change their mind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development