HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on that project Blah-Amazing. Very excited how many projects are coming up on North Temple. There are several things I like about this project. One, that the narrow end of the building is placed at the main thoroughfare view. Also, like you pointed out, that glass box at the top corner makes for a much more attractive and interesting aesthetic. I'm also a big proponent of the many projects that are utilizing public art on their facades in the Salt Lake City area. Great that it's filling in a very underdeveloped lot, to say the least, especially considering it's No. Temple and the light-rail line just minutes to the airport.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 3:34 PM

City creek center office lobbies

Has anyone been to City Creek lately? It looks like all of the office lobbies are being remodeled.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:55 PM

The development at the southwest corner of 400 South and 900 East, where Office Max (or is it Depot) is located is having a virtual open house and will go before the planning commission in the coming months. Here is a link to the open house.

https://www.slc.gov/planning/2020/09...-multi-family/

Other than maybe the soon to be finished apartment in front of the Public Safety Building, I think this is one better designs I have seen along 4th south with some good retail pace along the first floor to make it a bit more engaging for pedestrians.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheum View Post
Has anyone been to City Creek lately? It looks like all of the office lobbies are being remodeled.
If this means the building at SW corner of South Temple and State where World Trade Center and Merrill Lynch are located there has been work there for months. The ground floor spots which had been art galleries had closed before the pandemic.

I walked though the open air parts of City Creek Center again last week. Amazingly few stores have closed. There are even places which have opened since March.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
The development at the southwest corner of 400 South and 900 East, where Office Max (or is it Depot) is located is having a virtual open house and will go before the planning commission in the coming months. Here is a link to the open house.

https://www.slc.gov/planning/2020/09...-multi-family/

Other than maybe the soon to be finished apartment in front of the Public Safety Building, I think this is one better designs I have seen along 4th south with some good retail pace along the first floor to make it a bit more engaging for pedestrians.
I love this development! Solid street engagement and materials.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:55 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Agree, The new top makes a lot more sense. I like how they've opened it up for panoramic views from the center vs. having a wall with no views. I wonder what type of social gathering room will be established behind those top deck windows? Perhaps a club of some sort?
From what I'm told, this top level is supposed to be amenity space for the residents of the building. I don't think Kensington has any plans to make it available to the public or for commercial use.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:02 PM
Space Magi

Yeah that's what it seems like from the Kensington info we have.

There was a discussion on Reddit a few days ago about how there are no rooftop/highrise restaurants or bars with views of the Wasatch in downtown, which seems like a huge missed opportunity. That was one reason I was hyped for the original Regent St. Hotel proposal. Hopefully the new proposal, when it comes, will have something similar. The recent renderings of the Utah Theater Tower also had a restaurant/deck space on the 21st-ish floor facing east, so that might be something to look forward to as well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Yeah that's what it seems like from the Kensington info we have.

There was a discussion on Reddit a few days ago about how there are no rooftop/highrise restaurants or bars with views of the Wasatch in downtown, which seems like a huge missed opportunity. That was one reason I was hyped for the original Regent St. Hotel proposal. Hopefully the new proposal, when it comes, will have something similar. The recent renderings of the Utah Theater Tower also had a restaurant/deck space on the 21st-ish floor facing east, so that might be something to look forward to as well.
Actually, there was a high end restaurant on the top floor of the white highrise on 136 E South Temple. I forget the name. I went there for high school prom. Also, there is the Roof and the Garden restaurants at the Joseph F. Smith Bldg. The Garden restaurant was pretty cool when the roof skylights opened up during the summer time. That was one of my go to date spots.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:43 PM
Space Magi

Does the restaurant on the top floor of 136 E South Temple still exist? I never knew about that. Also, the Garden and Roof look nice but they seem to have west-facing views of the Temple and 99 West, not of the Wasatch range. Also, they don't do alcohol haha

The only restaurants in SLC proper that I can think of that feature sweeping views of the mountains and valley are both up at the U: Crimson View (top floor of Union building) and The Point (Huntsman Cancer Institute). Any others?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Actually, there was a high end restaurant on the top floor of the white highrise on 136 E South Temple. I forget the name. I went there for high school prom. Also, there is the Roof and the Garden restaurants at the Joseph F. Smith Bldg. The Garden restaurant was pretty cool when the roof skylights opened up during the summer time. That was one of my go to date spots.
Wasn't it called Nino's? I think it was Italian.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Wasn't it called Nino's? I think it was Italian.
That's it. Nino's. I thought it was a seafood restaurant, but it might have been Italian. That was eons ago for me.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:39 PM

I've been coming into my office more and more lately and from my office window i can see 7 tower cranes. 95 State, Liberty Sky, Temple Square, CCH x2, and West Quarter x2.

Walking around outside are all kinds of loud banging construction noises. Pretty awesome times for SLC. Can't wait for the pandemic to end and see downtown come roaring back.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
Not sure if you knew this, but there used to be a restaurant called Ninos at the top of one of the towers on South Temple.
Nino's Restaurant, 136 E. South Temple, University Club Building, 24th Floor.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ESTAURANT.html
I linked this old comment from 2017 because of the 1990 article. I can't seem find any images from that restaurant though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 12:15 PM

It's been quite a while since photo updates on many of the projects like Olive, Hardison, Paperbox, old Capitol Motel, Post District etc... If it's convenient in your travels today don't forget to snap some pics for us. It's hugely appreciated.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:19 PM

Nino's Restaurant and Club

Yeah I remember Nino's. It was a club, of course, with a bar and had reciprocal memberships with other clubs around town. I attended a show there featuring a modern touring band of Count Basie's. Quite a sophisticated experience., listening to big band with cocktails overlooking the east valley 24 floors up.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:42 PM
Space Magi

The next planning commission meeting will discuss proposed changes to the West Quarter development. Most of it seems to be related to the appearance of the hotel portion of the project. Details and renderings (more in the document linked above):

Quote:
The West Quarter project challenges the typical 10‐acre Salt Lake City block by proposing a development centered around a new through mid‐block street, resting on a below grade parking garage. The midblock
street will break down the large block scale and provide a pedestrian connection between the Downtown on 200 South and Gateway District on 300 West. The mid‐block street will be lined with retail on both sides creating an active urban environment that is focused more on pedestrian activity
while reducing vehicular traffic.

Due to the large size of our city blocks, the existing grade of our streets and sidewalks changes deceivingly across the block frontage as well as from one block to another. The existing grade along 300 West block changes by approximately 10’‐0”, approximately half of which takes place across the project frontage. Similarly, the grade continues to change along 200 South block frontage and 200 West creating three different elevations that the mid‐street and the service alley will connect and reconcile. From that perspective the project needed to prioritize the grade elevations and their transition to maximize accessibility and street activation without making modifications to the existing streets.

300 West is a State road operated by the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) and is subject to UDOT regulations. The existing street elevation along 300 West (between the new mid‐block street and entrance to the hotel port cochere) varies between 4272.96 at the south end and 4276.30 at the north end. The hotel ground level elevation has been set at 4278 to maximize accessibility and engagement with the new mid‐block street. The grade changes and complex relationship between the existing and new mid‐block street required the design of the 300 West frontage to be reevaluated subsequently to the Planning Commission approval.
And it turns out SLC will have at least one rooftoop dining and drinking experience soon! I still hope to see something higher and closer to Main Street eventually. This one seems to have a mostly northwestern-facing orientation too, so the views of downtown and the Wasatch won't be dominant.

Quote:
The current design maintains a rooftop bar along 300 West that will contribute to street and skyline activation in accordance with the city design standards and approved design. The refined building massing creates a distinct rooftop element articulated with recessed glazing, expressed columns and a continuous architectural roofline. The roofline terminates at the northwest corner of the building with a long and dramatic cantilever that, along with the glass volume below, announces the entrance to the
development. The distinct roofline will be illuminated with continuous, linear fixtures to maintain its presence and distinct expression on the night skyline while the wood clad soffit will diffuse the lighting
and create a floating effect.

In addition to the rooftop bar, that will activate the northwest corner and create a strong connection with the Vivint Smart Home Arena, the current design will provide street and skyline activation at the opposite southeast corner of the hotel. An outdoor pool deck, with views of the downtown skyline and mountains, will create additional active uses along the future extension of the mid‐block street. In addition to enhancing and connecting the second project phase, the pool deck will be visible and create a strong connection with 200 South.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 4:32 PM

Construction fencing is going up around Carl's this morning.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Construction fencing is going up around Carl's this morning.
Great! So exciting to hopefully see this tower come to fruition.

I walked by the Sugar Alley site this morning and still no sign of movement there.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 6:24 PM

Wow! I retract my comment on the Sugar Alley development, just ran by on my lunch break and I can confirm a tractor active and working on the site.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 7:55 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The next planning commission meeting will discuss proposed changes to the West Quarter development. Most of it seems to be related to the appearance of the hotel portion of the project. Details and renderings (more in the document linked above):

And it turns out SLC will have at least one rooftoop dining and drinking experience soon! I still hope to see something higher and closer to Main Street eventually. This one seems to have a mostly northwestern-facing orientation too, so the views of downtown and the Wasatch won't be dominant.

Hey look an actually cool POOL at a SLC Hotel. About damned time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West