HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:22 PM

Would be nice if the 740 West Peachtree project takes out the massive bare concrete parking garage, which is quite possibly the ugliest building in all of midtown. Almost anything would be a huge improvement for the area

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:23 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
336 unit apartments @ 377 centennial Olympic drive looking to break ground October/November

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...-project-76592
That has to be the ugliest proposal I have ever seen...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:24 PM

Amli Arts Center is getting a coat of white paint. I was worried they were going to leave it bare concrete, but it looks nice.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
That has to be the ugliest proposal I have ever seen...
I like it, at least it has a splash of varying color and material palette.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
~18 stories in O4W will be interesting to follow community reaction. We definitely need more density in general for the area. This would be new ground for the community with high rises anywhere other than adjacent PCM.
To me, a standalone tower there would be odd, but I can see it working as part of an AMLI at Cityplace-sized complex when the Georgia Power site is redeveloped. Ralph McGill is nowhere near as busy as Ponce or North, and many of the nearby apartment complexes (particuarly Block Lofts) are pretty insular, so a lone tower would seem a bit stranded. The site is at a low point along Ralph McGill, though, so it would be relatively unobtrusive.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
To me, a standalone tower there would be odd, but I can see it working as part of an AMLI at Cityplace-sized complex when the Georgia Power site is redeveloped. Ralph McGill is nowhere near as busy as Ponce or North, and many of the nearby apartment complexes (particuarly Block Lofts) are pretty insular, so a lone tower would seem a bit stranded. The site is at a low point along Ralph McGill, though, so it would be relatively unobtrusive.
I don't think it is that strange. Have you been to Houston? There are random skyscrapers next door to SFH and mansions in some cases.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
You have a source or is this just a gut feeling? While I think Angier Springs to Telephone Lofts is a prime location for development, they're building out more in the warehouse right now for a brewpub. I could see the USPS parcel or entire surface area being developed before the actual warehouse is redeveloped.

That said, I want to see that entire area, the O4W Georgia Power parcel, Virginia Highland Georgia Power parcel, Midtown Place, and Midtown Promenade strip malls redeveloped. As much development as there's been along the EST, the true urban experience seems to be developing in other neighborhoods of Atlanta and a lot of the EST of disjointed pockets of urbanism. Virginia Highland particularly is about to be left behind, only benefiting from adjacent neighborhood developments due to its proximity along the EST and next to Piedmont Park.
It's just something I think would do wonders for that area.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:43 PM

GA Power O4W Parcel

Any news or rumors on this parcel? Anyone know when we can expect to hear some news on this?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:59 PM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 6:52 PM

Wow quite a lot of news to digest today!
Exciting times

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
There goes my Poor Calvin's parking lol

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitmeo View Post
Wow quite a lot of news to digest today!
Exciting times
The past two days have been a development VOMIT for Atlanta. I have never seen a development pipeline like this in my 12 years living in Atlanta!!!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
I don't think it is that strange. Have you been to Houston? There are random skyscrapers next door to SFH and mansions in some cases.
I don't think Houston is exactly a model to be followed...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
I don't think Houston is exactly a model to be followed...
Amen! Atlanta has a good chance at being a model urban city for the southeast. Houston... while it has a decent sized grid... I just cannot stand the urban fabric and zoning. Fun area, good people, but mani do not enjoy the city, nor the traffic.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Focusing just on Midtown - Not Atlantic Station. To my knowledge there is not an apparel store, sporting goods, shoe, home goods, furniture, plant/nursery, consumer electronics.....etc. Not to mention entertainment things like a movie theater, bowling alley or a Dave & Buster type place.

To say Midtown's retail is "diverse" and "healthy" is frankly delusional. Sorry RocketSurgeon, not trying to be an @$$hole because I usually agree with you on most topics.
Atlantic Station has most of those things and is too close to be labeled a separate market. Midtown may be a long way from having the population density to support multiple locations of those things--and zoning may never even allow it to get there for some of them--but if you're starting with "basically Manhattan" then there's a hell of a lot of healthy ground to cross before you get anywhere near "lacking the capacity to support retail."

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Any news or rumors on this parcel? Anyone know when we can expect to hear some news on this?
I know nothing regarding timing, nor who all submitted proposals, but I do know the site generated significant interest. And in regards to previous comments about the nearby Ralph McGill tower, the GA power site will very likely be developed with a few similarly scaled buildings (I actually got to see one of the proposals), so it wouldn't really end up being THAT out of place.

I'm really excited to watch this area continue to transform.. it has so much potential to become an incredibly vibrant place and a fantastic precedent for future redevelopment sites North along the trail including Midtown Place, Midtown Promenade, Amsterdam Walk, Ansley Mall... There's so much potential!!!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I actually agree with you 100%. Revamping the area would be on another level if this could be redeveloped and some kind of way connected to the beltline...this would be a huge game changer. I might be wrong but I believe the back of Two Urban Licks where it meets the Beltline is very close to there.
If they do that I hope they bring back the original proposal to continue 8th street through Midtown Promenade and on over to Ponce. I know a handful of of residents fought that tooth and nail before, but that extra connectivbtywould be great. Plus that HD/Whole Foods site has amazing belt line connectivity, hopefully it take full advantage of that.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:16 PM

All things considered, Virginia to freedom parkway along the beltline has plenty of room for ~15+ more mixed use developments if current uses are redeveloped. That would even allow to daylighting Clear Creek currently under midtown promenade and midtown place.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
I know nothing regarding timing, nor who all submitted proposals, but I do know the site generated significant interest. And in regards to previous comments about the nearby Ralph McGill tower, the GA power site will very likely be developed with a few similarly scaled buildings (I actually got to see one of the proposals), so it wouldn't really end up being THAT out of place.

I'm really excited to watch this area continue to transform.. it has so much potential to become an incredibly vibrant place and a fantastic precedent for future redevelopment sites North along the trail including Midtown Place, Midtown Promenade, Amsterdam Walk, Ansley Mall... There's so much potential!!!
So what you're saying is that the whole area around PCM could turn into a dense midrise/highrise district in the next 5-10 years? Wow. I thought about it and other than the single family homes on Ralph McGill, there aren't really any single family homes in the area where highrises would block the views...just a lot of apartments and renters don't really have sway on neighborbood zoning like home owners do so maybe there's decent chance highrises could get zoned for the area. Exciting stuff.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Focusing just on Midtown - Not Atlantic Station. To my knowledge there is not an apparel store, sporting goods, shoe, home goods, furniture, plant/nursery, consumer electronics.....etc. Not to mention entertainment things like a movie theater, bowling alley or a Dave & Buster type place.

To say Midtown's retail is "diverse" and "healthy" is frankly delusional. Sorry RocketSurgeon, not trying to be an @$$hole because I usually agree with you on most topics.
If you're standing on 7th and Peachtree like mentioned you can also hit, Big Peach Running (Sports), Ligne Roset (Furniture), Eco Denizen (Homegoods), Blick (Art Supply), Experimac (Computer repair/supply), half dozen nail/hair places, nearly every major bank, a UPS all within a few blocks. That doesn't even include the half mile to Tech or the Piedmont Park where you get more crap along the way. Midtown has a heck of a lot. Do we have Walmart, no, but if you're in any residential building in Midtown and see package delivery 4 times a day you'd know buying behavior has changed and most rely on delivery nowadays.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations