HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 1:31 AM
heavy user of walkability

right on schedule, block 6W looks like it has gotten underway

the Weill Neurosciences building is making its presence felt and (yay) blocking the ugly parking garage from the Fourth St view side

looking south along Fourth

and north

looking south into Dogpatch. UCSF housing prominent. Dogpatch quickly becoming a neighborhood of 4-8-story buildings

close-up of UCSF housing

UCSF Psychiatry Center in Dogpatch

looking north from 20th and Third St into Mission Bay

from 19th and Third

the T-Third Muni loop on Illinois

something going on on the east side of Illinois that might be related to Crane Cove Park work. this is adjacent to the Ramp

standing on what will be the sidewalk on the north side of 16th, looking east toward Terry Francois and the Bay

work on the new center boarding platform in front of the arena has made good progress and Muni trains were running through the area again yesterday. looking north from 16th St

and looking south from the same spot

other street-level angles

Three Corners

other from-above angles

the ramp where in about 6 months hordes of people will be transiting during events

Last edited by timbad; Apr 8, 2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added block 6W image

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:54 AM

socketsite with a general status update

Quote:
... Of the 22 acres of additional open space that has yet to be completed, six acres will be added to Mission Creek Park over the next couple of years on blocks P2, P8 and P3; the nearly 2-acre Mariposa Bayfront Park (P23/P24) is expected to be completed by the end of this year; and the 5.4-acre Bayfront Park should be ready for play on P22 by the middle of next year (not including its future restaurant and restrooms). ...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 9:17 AM

on new ferry service, via SF Curbed. apparently interim service starting this fall until the permanent service starts in 2021

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 6:35 AM

looking at the north end of the new T-Third Muni platform

and from higher-up

Uber

helloooooo Mission & S Van Ness, as seen through the Weill Neurosciences building construction

the Weill building on left in relation to Third St work

Third St looking north

north from Third and Mariposa

the north end of Illinois. the trees on the west side have indeed been removed

work progress seems glacial around parcels P23 and P24

future Crane Cove Park

UCSF's Psychiatry center in Dogpatch

UCSF housing

the Exchange

Fourth St looking north from near 16th...

from Nelson Rising Wy...

and in the residential part

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:18 AM

The sad, tragic life of a San Francisco street tree.

This one seems barely hanging on. Euthanasia might be in order.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The sad, tragic life of a San Francisco street tree.

This one seems barely hanging on. Euthanasia might be in order.
I think that one was a victim of the block 5 fire but not enough of a victim to be replaced.

Last edited by timbad; May 2, 2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added link

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:47 PM

I have been following this thread for awhile and this entire project is just mind blowing to me. They have practically built an entire new city. I love how the streets cut through and it isn't some dead end isolated burbs in the city layout.

Questions - are there numerous developers involved? Was it a big piece of property chopped up and sold separately? Who is overseeing this generally?

Finally, it would be awesome if you awesome photographers who have been taking awesome photos would go back to your no doubt awesome archives and create side by side before and after sets! I know, I am being greedy.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
I have been following this thread for awhile and this entire project is just mind blowing to me. They have practically built an entire new city. I love how the streets cut through and it isn't some dead end isolated burbs in the city layout.

Questions - are there numerous developers involved? Was it a big piece of property chopped up and sold separately? Who is overseeing this generally?

Finally, it would be awesome if you awesome photographers who have been taking awesome photos would go back to your no doubt awesome archives and create side by side before and after sets! I know, I am being greedy.
The property was formerly an industrial district "home to shipyards, canneries, a sugar refinery and various warehouses", including a large Southern Pacific railyard, according to Wikipedia although the site was cleared decades ago. The city basically planned the entire area and then turned the land over to Catellus Development Corporation as a Redevelopment Project (under California's old Redevelopment Agency law, now dead) which sought sub-developers for individual parcels (including both for-profit and non-profit/below market developers for housing sites). The initial plan called for lots of housing (around 6000 units as I recall) and much of the rest of the space was supposed to be for biomedical uses mostly--they were seeking to promote some of the biomedical outfits concentrated in South San Francisco and Emeryville to move north and west respectively.

But before the biomedical uses could really become established except for a couple of parcels bought and built out by Alexandria REIT which builds/owns/leases biomedical research facilities, some regular tech companies including Salesforce began seeking to buy parcels (Salesforce ultimately sold what they had planned for their headquarters and moved downtown, leasing the Salesforce Tower and buying other nearby properties but the likes of Uber are still in Mission Bay).

And the big enchillada was the University of CA at San Francisco which was seeking to expand dramatically from its campus on Parnassus Heights and ultimately sought to put the expansion in Mission Bay which they have done. That fit well with the biomedical theme, of course. They have ultimately built out research facilities as well as a new hospital, student housing and a student center.

The last piece of the puzzle was the Golden State Warriors which were not originally envisioned as part of the mix. When the city succeeded in luring them from their aging Oakland facilities, they first looked at Pier 32 closer to downtown but the cost of rehabbing an aging pier and political opposition to putting a non-water-oriented use on the pier blocked them so they looked for another site and found it in the Salesforce Mission Bay property, which that company no longer wanted to use and was looking to sell. The Warriors faced a lot of opposition at this site too, mainly from people claiming an interest in minimizing traffic around UC's new hospital (though that motive was suspect IMHO). But they overcame it after a court fight.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:

Finally, it would be awesome if you ... would go back to your no doubt awesome archives and create side by side before and after sets! I know, I am being greedy.
I did this a while back, check post 2102 and particularly 2118... though things have changed significantly even since then!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I think that one was a victim of the block 5 fire but not enough of a victim to be replaced.
Not sure that's true. It was pretty damn hot. Tangentially, here are pictures from my apartment right across the street at the time.

2014-03-12 19.53.10 by Joshua Goldstein, on Flickr

2014-03-12 19.52.33 by Joshua Goldstein, on Flickr

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:00 AM

my recollection is that I was surprised that not all the trees were gone - my memory at least still sees damaged trees in front of the ruins

edit: ah, here we go. so far this is the clearest pic I can find that does show green foliage on the right side of the street in front of the charred remains of block 5

Last edited by timbad; May 3, 2019 at 5:21 AM. Reason: added pic

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:45 AM

Quote:
I did this a while back, check post 2102 and particularly 2118... though things have changed significantly even since then!
... and post 2121

these are around pages 106 and 107 in this thread, if that helps

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
my recollection is that I was surprised that not all the trees were gone - my memory at least still sees damaged trees in front of the ruins
Fair enough. They are there. As you can imagine, the street trees weren't my biggest concern at the time.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 3:25 PM

Thanks Guys! Again, really amazing. The before and after pics are mind blowing. Seems like Mission Bay benefited from having an overall master plan but different players.

What is the reaction to all of this by average folk; not developers or activists, just people? Is it filling in with residents, restaurants, etc? Is it seen as a boon to the city? Again, not from a stakeholder's perspective.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 5:58 AM

Quote:

What is the reaction to all of this by average folk; not developers or activists, just people? Is it filling in with residents, restaurants, etc? Is it seen as a boon to the city? Again, not from a stakeholder's perspective.
I am a resident - not sure if you consider that category a stakeholder! I'll give a short response: as far as I can tell, all the completed developments are basically full, and there is a healthy amount of foot traffic through the neighborhood. it has steadily increased over the years. retail locations have been slow in opening, and there are still empty ones, but the open ones seem well-patronized.

to me, one tangential benefit MB has had has been the stimulus to surrounding neighborhoods, particularly Dogpatch, that formerly felt more disconnected from the downtown area by the void that MB was.

average folk probably have a number of opinions, but one common one seems to be that the overall effect, at least of the architecture, is blocky and sort of sterile.

I find it a pleasant place to live myself, and have a sense that we are still in a settling-in period. when all the cranes come down will be a good time to ask these questions again.

Last edited by timbad; May 4, 2019 at 6:09 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 10:11 AM

two street sections connected to the roundabout finally opened this weekend: Channel, and Mission Bay Blvd.

Channel, leading away from roundabout

looking back toward the roundabout

two lanes in each direction seemed excessive for now

at the east end of the formerly closed section. the traffic lights haven't been turned on yet. the dog park on the right is also to - finally - open later this month, I read.

looking back the other way. the parking lot on the right remains closed. it's baffling to me why it takes years after construction ends for these things to be approved for opening

Mission Bay Blvd, leading away from the roundabout:

where the little neck of MB Blvd meets the western end of the Commons

looking head-on at the intersection where Long Bridge St curves in to MB Blvd

the western end of the Commons ends in a little semi-circular plot, inside which is this irregular-shaped structure whose purpose or reason for being that way, is a mystery to me, except that the slant on one side seems to be to help the sidewalk line up with the one across the street here

looking back toward the roundabout

Last edited by timbad; May 5, 2019 at 10:24 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
I am a resident - not sure if you consider that category a stakeholder! I'll give a short response: as far as I can tell, all the completed developments are basically full, and there is a healthy amount of foot traffic through the neighborhood. it has steadily increased over the years. retail locations have been slow in opening, and there are still empty ones, but the open ones seem well-patronized.

to me, one tangential benefit MB has had has been the stimulus to surrounding neighborhoods, particularly Dogpatch, that formerly felt more disconnected from the downtown area by the void that MB was.

average folk probably have a number of opinions, but one common one seems to be that the overall effect, at least of the architecture, is blocky and sort of sterile.

I find it a pleasant place to live myself, and have a sense that we are still in a settling-in period. when all the cranes come down will be a good time to ask these questions again.
Yeah, I agree with most of this, having lived here for almost eight years. It's not a bad place to live, but shops have been slow to open. The architecture is quite noticeable because, unlike other parts of the city, everything was built pretty much at once. This gives it a sameness not really seen in much of the rest of the city.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:30 AM

welcome news about the creekfront park

Quote:
... with bids to complete the effective extension of Mission Creek Park from 4th to 3rd Street on parcel P3 now due next week, ... is expected to soon break ground and be construction complete around March of next year

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:38 AM

and news about parcels 9 and 9a over on the east side

Quote:
with the ground for the 141-unit development to rise on Block 9 slated to be broken next year, San Francisco’s Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure (OCII) has just issued the formal Request for Proposals to develop and sell affordable condos on 9A

this leaves just 4E and 12W left to be developed in the residential section of MB

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 6:09 PM

the dog park adjacent to Channel is finally open after appearing complete, but fenced off, for what seemed like two years

Fourth St and the Weill Neurosciences building

a peek at the arena past the Weill construction

looking back north down Fourth. the project to redo the underground infrastructure is done, and seems they aren't going to replace the trees they took out for it

there's an arena back there

UCSF housing in Dogpatch

the T-Third Loop never-ending project, coming up on two years for something that was supposed to take 4 months

another slow one, Crane Cove Park. I was reading in the Potrero View (article I can't find online) that the tops of the cranes may never be put back. one apparently is in really bad shape, and the cost to rehabilitate even the one is probably more than the community can come up with. if I remember right, the contract to create this phase of the Park was originally to have included the crane tops, but was altered not to (due to cost).

the utility poles along Terry Francois (TF) have finally come down, and looks like we'll have the new roadway pretty soon. way too wide for current traffic but I imagine the arena will make use of its full capacity

another angle of TF

SE corner of the arena site, at 16th and TF

and, now the fancy steps and ramps of the Fibrogen building complex on Illinois will finally come into their intended function, linking them with the sidewalk and surrounding greenspaces. (and hopefully they'll fill the planters)

Third St

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development