HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:40 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Love this one. Cute house - and damn, look at those bedroom views. Hamilton, ON:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...lton-inch-park
Nice home and views, and a pretty good price. I'd just be a little wary being on the edge of that cliff due to landslide risk.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:27 PM

From realtor.com:

Singer Taylor Dayne Is Selling Her Elegant Shelter Near L.A. for $2.5M

By Jennifer Kelly Geddes
Mar 14, 2024

Before Taylor Swift, there was Taylor Dayne.

Yup, Dayne was a pop icon with chart-topping hits and an unstoppable head of hair in the ’80s. Nowadays, she’s looking to sell her home in Valley Village, CA, a quiet and desirable suburb of Los Angeles.

Per reports, Dayne purchased this attractive property in 2013 for $1 million. She’s now seeking $2,495,000.

At more than 70 years old, this dwelling doesn’t show its age thanks to a recent renovation with a focus on contemporary California style. Gated and surrounded by fruit trees and hedges, the home is filled with natural light, sparkling glass, and creamy tones.

[...]

Link: https://www.realtor.com/news/celebri...lifornia-home/

This story STILL makes me laugh whenever I listen to it.
Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:01 PM

The largest house in Detroit still on the market, cuts asking price from $9 million to $7 million:

Quote:
Bishop Mansion, largest private residence in Detroit, sees $2 million price slash

Brendel Hightower
Detroit Free Press

The largest private residence in Detroit by square footage, at more than 33,000-square feet, has undergone a significant price reduction of $2 million recently.

Situated on a sprawling 2-acre parcel, the renowned Bishop Mansion in the historic Palmer Woods neighborhood features 12 bedrooms, 14 bathrooms and 10 fireplaces.

The stately three-story brick and limestone structure, at 19366 Lucerne, has been on the market for 318 days, initially listed at $9 million. The price has been slashed to $7 million.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...e/72957200007/

I think this house would make a perfect Wayne Manor whenever they do the next Batman movie.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The largest house in Detroit still on the market, cuts asking price from $9 million to $7 million:
How does price compare to the most upmarket suburbs of Detroit?

I checked on the map and it's right on the northern border to Ferndale. Ferndale is rich? I read once it was Detroit's gayhood. Weird as it looks very suburban, although less than this Palmer Woods neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:09 PM

Ferndale definitely isn't rich. Traditionally it was very working class, now it's trendy, but not rich. Kind of liberal/lefty inner-ring suburban town. Ferndale, while next to Palmer Woods, doesn't really have anything to do with Palmer Woods.

The next towns to the north, Pleasant Ridge and Huntington Woods, while not rich, are kind of culturally upper class. Establishment left-leaning types with many prominent local residents. Gay and Jewish friendly, lots of lawyers, academics, media types and people in the arts. Elements of Shaker Heights, Evanston and the like.

That Palmer Woods home won't get anything close to $7 million. That's a laughable sum. It's also pointless to compare to comparable suburban sales, since those won't be 100-year-old homes. I can't imagine the annual upkeep costs.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Ferndale definitely isn't rich. Traditionally it was very working class, now it's trendy, but not rich. Kind of liberal/lefty inner-ring suburban town. Ferndale, while next to Palmer Woods, doesn't really have anything to do with Palmer Woods.

The next towns to the north, Pleasant Ridge and Huntington Woods, while not rich, are kind of culturally upper class. Establishment left-leaning types with many prominent local residents. Gay and Jewish friendly, lots of lawyers, academics, media types and people in the arts. Elements of Shaker Heights, Evanston and the like.
I was checking those cities and they're still incredibly White. I thought they would have more minorities at this point. It's crazy the segregation levels in Detroit.

And yes, according to Wikipedia, they're indeed the centre of LGBT community in Detroit. I wonder if at some point the gayhood will go to Downtown/Midtown/New Center axis. It seems to be a much more interesting place than this suburban setting.

About Shaker Heights, I've never heard of it naturally, till that Reese Witherspoon series, Little Fires Everywhere. From the TV series, it didn't strike me as very wealthy though, but more a this kind of polite, semi-urban US upper middle-class.

Quote:
That Palmer Woods home won't get anything close to $7 million. That's a laughable sum. It's also pointless to compare to comparable suburban sales, since those won't be 100-year-old homes. I can't imagine the annual upkeep costs.
A house this size in this Huntington Woods place? How much would it cost?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I was checking those cities and they're still incredibly White. I thought they would have more minorities at this point. It's crazy the segregation levels in Detroit.
The residents are very white, but it's complicated. The schools are majority black, and the area is diverse in other respects. In short, younger, left-leaning UMC American white people like these kinds of towns, and Asians, immigrants, and other nonwhites head to sprawl. UMC sprawl towns like Novi now have 70% Asian public schools.
Quote:
And yes, according to Wikipedia, they're indeed the centre of LGBT community in Detroit. I wonder if at some point the gayhood will go to Downtown/Midtown/New Center axis. It seems to be a much more interesting place than this suburban setting.
That was historically the gayborhood. New Center was the gayborhood, then Palmer Park, then Ferndale. They moved to Ferndale in the 1980's bc Palmer Park was getting unsafe.
Quote:
About Shaker Heights, I've never heard of it naturally, till that Reese Witherspoon series, Little Fires Everywhere. From the TV series, it didn't strike me as very wealthy though, but more a this kind of polite, semi-urban US upper middle-class.
Yes, Shaker Heights is basically Huntington Woods. Lefty, UMC, establishment. There are some rich streets but it's mostly UMC. Shaker Heights is nationally well-known as a longtime establishment suburb.
Quote:
A house this size in this Huntington Woods place? How much would it cost?
If it existed, it might go for $4 million or something. But it doesn't exist. There are no homes of that size in Huntington Woods.

The real wealth is to the north in Birmingham-Bloomfield, and it might go for a few million more there, but hard to say bc the carrying costs on such an old house would have to be something crazy like 300k+ annually. You'd prolly spend a million bucks just replacing all the windows.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:13 PM

Quote:
That was historically the gayborhood. New Center was the gayborhood, then Palmer Park, then Ferndale. They moved to Ferndale in the 1980's bc Palmer Park was getting unsafe.
As Downtown-New Center is booming I imagine gay life returns there eventually.

Quote:
If it existed, it might go for $4 million or something. But it doesn't exist. There are no homes of that size in Huntington Woods.

The real wealth is to the north in Birmingham-Bloomfield, and it might go for a few million more there, but hard to say bc the carrying costs on such an old house would have to be something crazy like 300k+ annually. You'd prolly spend a million bucks just replacing all the windows.
I thought it would be much more expensive on suburbs. This house would definitely be more expensive in São Paulo, even though the city is bargain compared to the US/Western Europe. Brazilian Real is still very undervalued.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:17 PM

I wouldn't want that house for free, I don't think. At least not if I couldn't flip it, or move it somewhere where returns are greater.

You own it for 20 years, you probably put 2x the value of the home in upkeep. Those types of homes have enormous costs. A single vintage window replacement can be 50k. These old homes have stained glass windows, pewabic tile and the like. In the winter, I bet they spend 5k a month on heating. Insanity.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't want that house for free, I don't think. At least not if I couldn't flip it, or move it somewhere where returns are greater.

You own it for 20 years, you probably put 2x the value of the home in upkeep. Those types of homes have enormous costs. A single vintage window replacement can be 50k. These old homes have stained glass windows, pewabic tile and the like.
I don't even comment on this as I know I'm incredibly strong bias big houses. I live Downtown, on apartment and I really see no use in a those big houses, even if money was unlimited.

And it's not only due my big city living preference: there are very big apartments Downtown São Paulo from the good old days and they're very affordable as the region gentrification is still ongoing. Why would I leave my perfectly functional and comfortable 90m2 for a massive 300m2 one? Spending more with housekeeper and utilities?

Quote:
In the winter, I bet they spend 5k a month on heating. Insanity.
That's completely insane!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
How does price compare to the most upmarket suburbs of Detroit?

I checked on the map and it's right on the northern border to Ferndale. Ferndale is rich? I read once it was Detroit's gayhood. Weird as it looks very suburban, although less than this Palmer Woods neighbourhood.
Palmer Woods is more affluent than Ferndale, but Ferndale is mostly white while Palmer Woods is majority black. Ferndale is historically a working class suburb, but lately has become a magnet for gay millennials wanting to buy houses. I don't think there are many/any actual gay bars, and definitely no nightclubs, gay or otherwise, in Ferndale. Ferndale does have a nice walkable strip of restaurants and other businesses along 9 Mile Road, particularly west of Woodward Avenue.

The historical gayborhood of Detroit was centered about 2 miles south of Ferndale at 6 Mile Road to the west of Woodward Avenue. The area to the north of 6 Mile Road is Palmer Park (not to be confused with Palmer Woods, which is west of Woodward between 7 Mile Road and Evergreen Cemetery). But even that area was very toned down compared to the more famous gayborhoods in NYC, SF, and Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:23 PM

Right, Palmer Park and Palmer Woods, while adjacent, are very different.

Palmer Park is an art-deco era apartment district. Was the gayborhood from maybe 1970-1990. Was mostly white until then. Now partially abandoned, mostly poor and black. Palmer Woods is the richest neigborhood in Detroit proper. It's mostly mansions and probably about as black as the city overall (easily 80%+).

Madonna supposedly got her start dancing/singing in Palmer Park, while she was attending University of Michigan. The mutual affinity was supposedly forged in Palmer Park. I hear it was a pretty big scene for a while, at least. Lots of clubs before HIV.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
From realtor.com:

Singer Taylor Dayne Is Selling Her Elegant Shelter Near L.A. for $2.5M
$2.5 million for that place? I'm a little surprised the asking price is that low. It's 3800 square feet and fully renovated with high end finishes. Is this just a matter of price discounting for the Valley?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Palmer Woods is more affluent than Ferndale, but Ferndale is mostly white while Palmer Woods is majority black. Ferndale is historically a working class suburb, but lately has become a magnet for gay millennials wanting to buy houses. I don't think there are many/any actual gay bars, and definitely no nightclubs, gay or otherwise, in Ferndale. Ferndale does have a nice walkable strip of restaurants and other businesses along 9 Mile Road, particularly west of Woodward Avenue.

The historical gayborhood of Detroit was centered about 2 miles south of Ferndale at 6 Mile Road to the west of Woodward Avenue. The area to the north of 6 Mile Road is Palmer Park (not to be confused with Palmer Woods, which is west of Woodward between 7 Mile Road and Evergreen Cemetery). But even that area was very toned down compared to the more famous gayborhoods in NYC, SF, and Chicago.
And where do LGBT people hang out in Detroit? It's a 5 million metro so I imagine it should have a good number of venues.

I followed your coordinates and Palmer Park is in a very rough shape.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSD View Post
$2.5 million for that place? I'm a little surprised the asking price is that low. It's 3800 square feet and fully renovated with high end finishes. Is this just a matter of price discounting for the Valley?
Could be because it's in the flats of the Valley...

But look at the back yard; it's small and nothing special.

So I could see why the asking price is that low.

Yeah, it's only Taylor Dayne, but still, it's funny to think that someone like that would have a back yard that looks like that.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 8:58 PM
Great White Norf

Despite the size, $7M for a house in city of Detroit seems steep and you'd have to really love Detroit, that neighborhood and want a GIGANTIC house that like you said Crawford, costs a fortune to heat and upkeep.

Crawford, any idea what the highest sold price for a SFH is for city of Detroit?

I know in the city of Buffalo it's $3M for an almost 8,000 sq ft newer build SFH on Meadow Rd north of Delaware Park sold in 2023, a 3,600 sq ft waterfront condo sold for $1.68M in 2023, and a new 3,800 sq ft townhouse at Gates Circle sold for $1.43M sold in 2022.
These prices were unheard of 5 years ago.

Last edited by Wigs; Mar 15, 2024 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 11:32 PM

Quote:
And where do LGBT people hang out in Detroit? It's a 5 million metro so I imagine it should have a good number of venues.
I'm sure many hang out in Ferndale, and Palmer Park also still has a couple of venues. Outside of that I really don't know. There are probably venues scattered around the metro that cater to LGBT.

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty run down. The city of Detroit has put a lot of money into revitalizing the actual park, from where the neighborhood gets its name, so hopefully that transfers some vitality into the residential area. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it. That neighborhood is still very far from the gentrifying areas closer to downtown. There is no rail transit, nearby amenities, or anything of the such that would make it a logical place for people to seek out apartment living. Even though it's a pretty densely built residential area, residents are still forced to live a very car oriented lifestyle.

There are some very nice mansions in the area directly adjacent to the Palmer Park neighborhood though, lining the perimeter of the Detroit Golf Club:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/p9JAyFSPjvGHKyjL9

https://maps.app.goo.gl/iLpB2rAtGWo3u8gw5

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JyPP9k3mMcvBz5dA6

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:27 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:

Yuri, Shaker Heights has some century old mansions that are very large 10,000+ sqft/~930m2 homes, particularly on S Park Blvd.

I sorted by highest sold price . Yuri, check out the property taxes on these places. **I really don't know what's going on in Cleveland Metro but most areas have horrendous taxes**
(Cleveland forumers, please explain)

https://www.zillow.com/shaker-height...6m%22%7D%7D%7D

Some of the highest priced Cleveland Metro houses seem to be either lakefront, or in Hunting Valley, Chagrin Falls
https://www.zillow.com/homes/Hunting-Valley,-OH_rb/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:02 PM

Somehow no posts here yet on yesterday's court decision against realtors. It's comical that people think that realtors are somehow out to scam buyers/sellers with their high fees, and that those fees (which were seemingly never a point of conversation for 50+ years until the recent run-up in home prices) are responsible for high home prices.

Nobody was tacking 6% onto the top of any home listing to cover the fees. That's never how it worked. The 6% was taken from the seller, who hopefully sold the house for a gain. So I don't see how anyone ever reasoned that commissions were driving up prices or that we're going to see a reduction in listing prices if realtors go away.

I mean, we're living in a country where many home prices doubled and some quadrupled over the last ten years. 6% is far short of a doubling, and inconsequential in the event of a quadrupling.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:

The main regular gay bars are in Ferndale and Royal oak. The biggest after hours spot is on McNichols in Detroit, in Palmer Park. So it's still pretty gay. The oldest spots are still in the city and gays from all over have no issues going there regularly. But they're in kinda random locations in the neighborhoods.

There's not many super gay spots downtown. Not the typical place gays go. I don't see this changing anytime soon. It's been like this forever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions