HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
These homes look cool but they have such terrible acoustics. All the hard edges and surfaces.

No way would I live in a MCM home with kids or if I hosted parties.
Depends on how they're designed. Furniture, rugs, and even ceiling design can help with acoustics. The living room above has a good ceiling for acoustics, I think.

Some people install cork ceilings. Here's one design:

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
From dwell:

In Pasadena, a Moody Buff & Hensman Midcentury Hits the Market for $3M

Price: $2,995,000

Architect: Buff & Hensman

Renovation Designer: Stephani Gan

Year Built: 1959

Footprint: 2,304 square feet (three bedrooms, three baths)

Lot Size: 0.19 acres

From the Agent:

"New to the market is a midcentury home situated in the heart of Pasadena’s San Rafael Hills. Beautifully designed and meticulously renovated, this iconic residence has original influence from the celebrated duo of Buff & Hensman. Situated on a spacious lot and elevated above the street, this home offers a seamless blend of indoor/outdoor living with sophisticated design that honors the original aesthetics of the home without sacrificing modern comforts. This three-bedroom, three-bathroom home showcases floor-to-ceiling windows that offer an abundance of natural light and incredible views of the San Gabriel Mountains; warm, wood-paneled ceilings and beams; a stone fireplace; and elegant bathrooms. A spacious second downstairs living room flows seamlessly to the pristine, landscaped yard with many native plants. The home’s midcentury roots endure, but have been updated for contemporary living."

Link: In Pasadena, a Moody Buff & Hensman Midcentury Hits the Market for $3M
Pretty sure i saw this house a few years back before the remodel. Id buy it if i had 3 million lol. I love the San Rafael Hills area and love MCM's

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 2:58 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
oof, they kinda ruined the proportions of that one. have been seeing more and more of these kinds of renos that would look better if they just built from scratch...

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7363...8192?entry=ttu
Just an update on this one...since early Jan: $1.295M to $1.220M to $1.150M to $1.095M to, this morning, off market.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 9:26 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Investors are gobbling up homes in one of California's last 'affordable' regions
Residents are fleeing the coast, but can they escape rising housing costs?
By Ariana Bindman
March 4, 2024

California’s Inland Empire is the type of place that most people drive through and quickly forget about.

Flanked by fading strip malls and Amazon warehouses, the arid region, which includes San Bernardino and Riverside counties, is an often overlooked part of Southern California that supposedly provides one of the last vestiges of affordable housing in the state. Recent data, however, suggests this may no longer be true.

Homebuyers needed to make at least $151,000 per year — or about $73 an hour — to afford the $555,000 median-priced home in the Riverside metro in August 2023, Redfin data shows. That income requirement has risen 18% year over year, and doesn’t show any signs of slowing.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-18696495.php

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 8:38 PM

New 10,500 square foot penthouse at the Shore Club in South Beach under contract for a cool $120 million.
https://therealdeal.com/miami/2024/0...for-over-120m/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 6:19 PM

I own a college rental and am on a Facebook group that matches tenants and landlords...it's a good way to keep up on the evolution of college apartment decorating trends. When I was a kid and in college, everything was old hand-me-down furniture and random found decorations. Men, of course, had a ton of sports decorations, beer signs, and maybe a Jim Morrison or Bob Marley poster. A somewhat dated although probably monstrous stereo system was the centerpiece of the whole house. It wasn't uncommon to have multiple loud stereos going in the same house at the same time.

But today I was completely thrown-off by whatever this flag is:

I looked it up and apparently it's some sort of podcast for women with celebrity news. And this thing has...a flag? Do they take selfies in front of this thing?

Meanwhile, I sense that far fewer college students have loud stereo systems. I have noticed that the fraternities own expensive powered DJ speakers now, but the average college house is not capable of blasting music until 5am anymore.

Elsewhere on this same listing, we see over 50 bottles of liquor. What were they listening to while drinking these things? Music or this podcast?

I read this book back in 2002 and still own the thing. It's an incredible cultural document as it asserts what I just described above - that music and stereo systems used to be the central thing in college living arrangements in part because TVs were somewhat rare and nobody paid for cable. https://www.amazon.com/College-Art-P.../dp/0595120768

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 6:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

collegetown real estate is definitely its own niche.

i wonder what kind of mold is in those places from all those hormonal greasy and stinky college kids over the decades? thats the real source of disease, not chinese pharma labs.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 12:19 AM

FLW Anyone?

Probably one of the best looking Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the Parkwyn Village neighborhood in Kalamazoo:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...m=srp-map-list

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 12:32 AM
Great White Norf

Neat to look at but wouldn't want to live in this house...or Kalamazoo, MI

Apparently others don't stay long either
And those property taxes. Ooftah

jkazoo, is that an entire street of FLW homes?

Last edited by Wigs; Mar 10, 2024 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkazoo View Post
Probably one of the best looking Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the Parkwyn Village neighborhood in Kalamazoo:

It looks like it doesn't have gutters.

There's no question that gutters and gutter pipes are often meant to be ignored - like power lines - but they do influence our perception of a building and a place.

This historic-looking (but built in the 1990s) courthouse did a pretty good job with the gutters and pipes:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9620...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
G1:

São Paulo is set for a record in 2024: 150,000 new apartments

150,000 in one year!!! That's a massive, massive number. São Paulo is regarded as expensive, but it could be much worse.

To put things on perspective, São Paulo's population grew only by 200k between 2010 and 2022 census.
As I had the same discussion in another forum, I was curious to find numbers for other cities and how they're doing on this regard.

London delivered 38,000 new units in 2022. A very low number specially as London as much higher prices than São Paulo and its population grows much faster. It went 8.2 million in 2011 to 8.8 million in 2021. A 600k increase as opposed to the 200k of São Paulo (11.25 million to 11.45 million).

New York is even more disappointing with only 26,000 in 2022. Another city growing much faster than São Paulo, from 8.17 million (2010) to 8.8 million, a 630k increase.

San Francisco: 2,647 units in 2022. From 805k inh. (2010) to 874k (2020). Same story: ultra-high prices, fast growing population and a ridiculous low number of new houses built.

Los Angeles seems a bit better, with 16,700 in 2022. Population from 3.79 million (2010) to 3.9 million (2020). More units and a more moderate population growth.

Seattle with 6,227 new units, doing much better than the similar sized San Francisco. Population, however, growing very fast: 609k (2010) to 737k (2020).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 9:51 PM
Never Dell

That number for Seattle was only apartments, it was a mid-year projection, and it's two years old.

Actual housing production within city limits (completions minus demolitions) was 10,558 in 2022 and 12,845 in 2023. https://seattlecitygis.maps.arcgis.c...f719da4b26fe9f

PS, this thread has a terrible title. The entire board is 80% real estate. They seem to have meant residential real estate.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 2:40 PM

Love this one. Cute house - and damn, look at those bedroom views. Hamilton, ON:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...lton-inch-park

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Mar 13, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:39 PM

My brain is so warped by the GTA that my first thought was "$1,250,000? what a steal!"

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 6:15 PM

Parkwyn Village in Kalamazoo was commissioned from FLW by a group of Kalamazoo residents in the 20th century:

More history here: https://www.parkwynvillage.com/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 8:26 PM

This is regarding commercial real estate.

From CoStar:

Real Estate Investors Favor Los Angeles, Dallas, New York and London

Gateway Cities Attract Commercial Property Buyers From Across Globe, New JLL Study Says

By Tony Wilbert and Nicole Shih
CoStar News
March 12, 2024 | 10:47 AM

Gateway cities in the United States and Europe are attracting direct investment in real estate even as that spending drops globally, according to brokerage JLL.

Los Angeles, Dallas, New York, London and Atlanta, in that order, ranked as the top five cities for global investment in commercial properties for the three years through year-end 2023, JLL said in its new Global Real Estate Perspective. Paris ranked sixth and Phoenix seventh, the report found. JLL plans to discuss cross-border investment during a panel in France this week at Mipim, the world's biggest annual real estate gathering.

More than $96 billion of commercial property transactions valued at $5 million or more, not including land and entity-level deals, took place in Los Angeles, according to JLL. Commercial property deals totaled nearly $91.2 billion in Dallas, $80.7 billion in New York and $77.9 billion in London in that time, according to JLL.

"The cities have emerged as top global markets for direct investments due to factors such as thriving industries, strategic locations, favorable business environments, and economic growth, attracting significant investments," JLL said in an email to CoStar News. Overall commercial property deals last year totaled $594 billion, a 44% drop from 2022, in what JLL called the lowest direct investment, including cross-border transactions, in more than 10 years.

[...]

Click the link to see the animated graph! https://www.costar.com/article/42580...ork-and-london

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 8:29 PM

From Mansion Global:

Rihanna Puts Los Angeles Penthouse on the Market for Nearly $25 Million

The home in Century City formerly belonged to the late “Friends” start Matthew Perry

BY LIZ LUCKING
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON MARCH 12, 2024

Rihanna is planning a high-value adjustment to her real estate portfolio, having put her Los Angeles penthouse, which was once owned by the late actor Matthew Perry, on the market for $24.95 million.

The pop star, businesswoman and billionaire has owned the full-floor penthouse on the 40th floor of the 42-story Century building in Century City for a little less than a year. She purchased the property through a trust at the end of March 2023 for $21 million, records with PropertyShark show.

The 9,290-square-foot residence is the “pinnacle of luxury living,” according to the listing with James Harris and David Parnes of Carolwood Estates, which brought the home to the market on Monday. The firm declined to comment on the listing.

The big-ticket home, which has walls of windows taking in the city skyline and Pacific Ocean, is fitted with features, including a great room with towering ceilings, a library with a fireplace, a lavish screening room, a chef’s kitchen and a family room.

There’s also four bedrooms, including a primary suite with a seating area, fireplace and marble bathroom, an office and four expansive terraces totaling 1,900 square feet of outdoor space, according to the listing.

[...]

Link: https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...ts_los_angeles

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Depends on how they're designed. Furniture, rugs, and even ceiling design can help with acoustics. The living room above has a good ceiling for acoustics, I think.

Some people install cork ceilings. Here's one design:
Yeah MCM doesn't have to be cold and clinical. It can also be very warm and inviting. I mean it's also associated with 60s and 70s plush leather, shag carpeting and the like. If it's out of style now just give it a few years.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Love this one. Cute house - and damn, look at those bedroom views. Hamilton, ON:

https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...Listings=false
Wow...beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:15 PM

It is until you realize it's $950k USD for an 80-year old, ~1,100sf house in a secondary market

For the location, the premium for that view is likely around $150k USD over without it for a similar house right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions