HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Easy reference map to spot census tracts that I mention:
https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...C49035_001.pdf

Warning, probably boring post ahead....

To sum up, out of the 20 census tracts that lost population:

- 9 are on the west side (1147, 1003.07, 1003.08, 1005, 1026, 1027.01, 1027.02, 1028.01, 1028.02).
Anecdote alert: I live (for the rest of the month) on the 900 W block of Euclid (150 S) between 900 and 1000 W. I've only been here for 5 years and it seems like there has been a gradual decline, but that is changing rapidly. Three lots that were vacant during the census have been combined and 10 units are now under construction there and I know of 5 more lots on this block alone, including my own, which have been purchased by developers for town homes so there will be a population explosion on just this block. Also down the block and across 900 West, where 2 people were living when I moved in and no one during the census, a 200 some odd apartment building is about to go up. Plus all the apartments going in west of I-15 along North Temple. Fair Park seems on the brink as well as I'm moving into a townhouse development that consisted of trees during the census and will have 30-40 people next time around. Hoyt Place may actually get built in the next 10 years. And there are reports of townhouses north of Rancho Market where the drugstore used to be. So 10 years on will be a different story.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Easy reference map to spot census tracts that I mention:
https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...C49035_001.pdf

Warning, probably boring post ahead.

I actually had 2010 population information for census tracts readily available for a school project that I did, so it was pretty easy to put those in a spreadsheet, add the 2020 census figures, and see population changes...

The fact that more than 1/3 of our census tracts lost population shows perhaps why growth still isn't where it should be. There's just not enough housing being built in certain neighborhoods. Luckily, there has been enough housing construction elsewhere to offset those losses.
Thanks for sharing your work Bob rulz, you provided allot of helpful insight.

I wonder if the west side tracts lost population due to children growing up and moving out during the last decade.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:28 PM

Also, I found it interesting that Salt Lake County has a much higher population density than Clark County, NV or Maricopa County, AZ. Even with all the wilderness area in Salt Lake County.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:42 PM

Just found out Modal Living has pulled out of the Kozo apartments project, likely due to the heavy pushback from residents of the area. Anyone know what could be next for the development?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixg View Post
Just found out Modal Living has pulled out of the Kozo apartments project, likely due to the heavy pushback from residents of the area. Anyone know what could be next for the development?

I can't believe they are letting these NIMBY bullies get the best of them.

As for the project, they were filing demo permits again back at the end of June. I posted about it.

Here is the link to that post: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=10674

The post from June 28:

Quote:
Some demolition permits have again been filed, listed as "Pre-Demolition" (whatever that means), for the properties being replaced by the somewhat controversial Kozo House development.

625-627 W 200 N Pre-Demo

169 N 600 W

613 W 200 N Pre-Demo

157 N 600 W

633-635 W 200 N Pre-Demo
So it is possible the project has fallen apart in the 1.5 months since. Anyone else know anything???

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Aug 16, 2021 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 10:30 PM

New Planned Development - LaraDean Townhomes

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

355 West 800 North

A new townhouse project has been proposed. Apparently named after the property owners of the two single-family houses being replaced (Lara K. Jones & David Dean), LaraDean Townhomes will have have 14 townhouses that are four floors tall (3+ rooftop level).

The project will be directly to the west of CW Urban's The Mary townhouse project.

Project Summary (from developer):

The project will replace 2 single family residences with 14 single-family attached townhomes. The total site is 0.45 acres and will have a density of 31.1 units / acre.

The project consists of two separate wood frame buildings. The exterior materials are stucco. In total there are fourteen units consisting of 2 different types of units - Unit type A (12): 3 bedroom , 2.5 bath unit with 17,50 square feet of conditioned space. Unit type B(2): 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath units with 1,687 square feet of conditioned space.

The primary access to the units will be sidewalks along 800 N. The garages will be accessed via a drivelane in between the east and west buildings.

Project Rendering

Additional Renderings

Project Location

Site Plan

Elevations

Site Elevation

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 12:23 AM

The June - Updated Renderings

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

We got some updated renderings of 'The June' which filed for Design Review back in May.

The June is seeking an 85' roof height for the project.

Project Summary (from the developer):
Quote:
The June is a proposed apartment building to be located at 624, 636 S 300 W Salt Lake City UT. The existing neighborhood is a combination of vacant land, warehouses, and small light commercial buildings. Across the street north is the massive Post Development currently under construction. The June aims to be a modern and aesthetic boon to the neighborhood that will speak to the other new developments in the area.

The building itself aims to improve the existing site. Currently the proposed site encompasses a car wash, a dog wash and a lot of asphalt surface parking.

Pedestrian access to the buildings is along 300 west. Future residents have access to the building via several doors along 300 west. Storefront and glass will line the street including access to stairwells and elevator lobbies, a boutique lobby entrance and a leasing office.

The new project proposes the construction of a single residential tower on top of a parking structure. It will contain 102 units, including a mix of studio, 1 bed, 2 bed, and luxury penthouse apartments. The covered structural parking provides a near 1:1 parking ratio (102 covered stalls per 102 Units). Although the D-2 zone allows fewer parking stalls (.5:1 ), we desire as much off street parking as possible.

There are 5 levels of wood framed apartments, and 2 levels of concrete parking. 2 parking levels above grade. The exterior materials are masonry brick, metal siding, stucco, glass, architectural finish concrete and CMU.

Trash collection and a backup electric generator occur on the interior of the garage and are covered from street view.

Open deck courtyard amenities for the residents are designed to inhabit the top of the PT slab of the parking. For the residents a street accessible ground level leasing office will be provided as well as a club room and resident work in spaces (something akin to weWork) on the podium level.
ORIGINAL RENDERING

UPDATED RENDERINGS

Updated Project Rendering

Additional Updated Renderings:

Project Elevations

Project Location Map

Midblock Walkway Vicinity Map

Site Plan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 2:35 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Why can't we get the development in the background instead of the bland, boring stuff they're proposing?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:34 AM

It looks like the Granary on 9th Project located at the northwestern corner of 900 S and West Temple has been cancelled. The project was featured in a Building Salt Lake article a little over a year ago.

The 0.42 acre property has been put up for sale on Loopnet for $2.8 million: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/110-...y-UT/23774935/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:51 AM

Another project in the central ninth area with an uncertain future is The Sydney (906 S 200 W), whose property and plans have been listed for sale for several months now on Crexi for $4.77 million: https://www.crexi.com/properties/598...south-200-west

Urban Alfandre does still list it on their website, but I don't know if we should read too much into that. The Sydney was supposed to replace the burnt down dry cleaners and correspond with The Slate project (under construction) next door.

Hopefully the new owners will build the project, which was supposed to include groundfloor retail and 128 residential units.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 7:40 AM

I am also officially calling the 508 South Temple development described in this Building Salt Lake article as cancelled. It has been four years since it was approved by the commission, which indicates, to me at least, that it has either been cancelled or placed in some sort of indefinite hold. I'm sure most of you already had crossed this project off, but I held out a lot of hope that something would be built here.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 3:56 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Looks like they've got a concrete cutting crew on the Astra sight this morning.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 7:10 PM

4rth South and West Temple

Does anyone know why the empty lot on the northwest corner of 4th South and West Temple has still not started construction on the new tower?

When is construction supposed to start?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know why the empty lot on the northwest corner of 4th South and West Temple has still not started construction on the new tower?

When is construction supposed to start?
Well, I believe that project still has to go through planning.

It is also important to note that the cost of steel is currently sitting at record highs, having increased nearly 400% (from last year's lows) over the past year. This will likely delay some steel based projects in our market until costs start to fall again.

It is no coincidence that we saw lumber-based projects start back up once lumber fell over 50% from its highs.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Aug 19, 2021 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:52 PM

Thanks, Blah Amazing,for the update!!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:53 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Well, I believe that project still has to go through planning.

It is also important to note that the cost of steel is currently sitting at record highs, having increased nearly 400% over the past year. This will likely delay some steel based projects in our market until costs start to fall again.

It is no coincidence that we saw lumber-based projects start back up once lumber fell over 50% from its highs.
As a financial guy, I was very worried about this. The inflation is completely unecessary. Yet, that is what our current federal reserve and government want. (No need for political arguments.) They say that the inflation will be transitory. I am not so sure. Any ways Blah, has the Moda Lux become the Loada Putz? Seems like they are also a victim to poor budgeting and rising prices?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixg View Post

I think it's smart business to not go ahead with this project. With so much neighborhood push back, Jolley risked a slew of negative press surrounding Kozo. Better to rework the whole thing and/or abandon ship.

Lets hope something which is more amenable to the neighborhood comes out of this whole process.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
As a financial guy, I was very worried about this. The inflation is completely unecessary. Yet, that is what our current federal reserve and government want. (No need for political arguments.) They say that the inflation will be transitory. I am not so sure. Any ways Blah, has the Moda Lux become the Loada Putz? Seems like they are also a victim to poor budgeting and rising prices?
Well, this really isn’t because of inflation or the fed. The prices are up because of supply chain disruptions from COVID, Trump administration tariffs on steel from China and Canada, distribution disruptions, and greedy Steel Barrons who are purposely reducing supplies to keep prices high domestically.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 10:35 PM

Yeah, it's price inflation not monetary inflation. We're accounting for a 10% increase per month on anything steel.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 1:04 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy4thePeople View Post
Yeah, it's price inflation not monetary inflation. We're accounting for a 10% increase per month on anything steel.
It's all of the above including monetary inflation. We've been printing money faster than any time in history. Add in zero interest rates (ie the decoupling of risk from rates) and massive stimulus, and you have what we have now. Think steel is bad? Look at basic goods. Inflation is here and perhaps hyper-inflation. And it is basically a massive tax on the poor. This will not go away soon. Brace yourselves.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West