HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Makid, Where would you anticipate the Elk's block on South Temple fitting into that schedule? That's quite a major project. I'm excited to follow the progress on that one.
The Elk's block is a different group within CCR. I think that is slated to start construction early 2022.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Any rumors for that corner lot in the rendering on the right side?
That was one of the first questions that I had. Whatever depth issue some might have will disappear with the addition of the future 20-plus floor tower to its right.

I don't have a problem with the depth of the tower. I like the design and am looking forward to seeing what tower design will sit to its right on that grassy plot. The frontage will be attractive and the depth orientation into the block makes total financial and aesthetic sense for that particular location. Of course, ideally, it would be 10 floors taller but I can live with it just fine. That design will make for a nice statement on the Southern portion of Main.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:00 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
This was originally proposed in 2008 and got serious momentum, however, when the economy collapsed and the US plunged into recession, it pretty much died and there's been no indication that the University is interested in reviving it.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:23 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Let’s call it the Shart.

The lines and look are pretty interesting but just too deep and long for me to really like. Maybe it will grow on me but I’m going to call it the Shart.
Cracking me up Dave. Where can I get a drink?

This building is too stubby.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Any guesses on the height of the Sundial Tower? I'm thinking 300-320 ft range, about the height of 222.

I'm just hoping they're condos at this point. A 260 ft condo tower like the Regent would be great.

Using the rendering, I took the height from the top of the Washington Federal Building (191 feet) and pulled it over the front of the Sundial. Based on this, the tower appears to be approximately 318 feet to the top of what appears to be the Sundial's crown. It could be a little more or less, but that gives us a relatively good idea of its height.

This puts it dead on with the height of 222 at 315 feet tall and currently the 12th tallest building in Salt Lake. Both towers are 22 floors tall and interestingly both are midblock buildings so 222 is a good comparison.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; May 19, 2021 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Woah. Where did you find that?

It's definitely different than anything in the city right now. A little bit... uh... girthier than I expected.
It looks very different than any other building I’ve seen in this city. Huge fan solely because of that!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Cracking me up Dave. Where can I get a drink?

This building is too stubby.
With the name sundial is was expecting something a little more literal I guess. Maybe I was a little harsh with the nickname Shart . I am a little concerned about how it will look from the south but it will make for interesting density. 370 west temple and this building will add height for sure to the south end of the skyline but it will be very thick... along with the Borg and the Grand America it will be pretty heavy visually. The glass color and trim color could make a big difference with its appeal so it will be interesting to see it move forward. We are definitely spoiled with an abundance of projects though! They just keep coming.

If the roof line angle is just right the silhouette of the building from the south viewing angle is more Mt Olympus then sundial.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:53 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
It looks very different than any other building I’ve seen in this city. Huge fan solely because of that!
Same. I can't understand the criticism of this and yet the support for most of the recent towers that have been built ... which lack the same level of street engagement and are painfully boring. More buildings like this, I say (which means it probably won't actually be built)!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:10 AM

Wall Lake City

Okay Comrade and allh, still like your apples?

We need to protest this. Seriously, this is awful. The city needs to crack down on their land use code to not allow this crap. I want to get a petition going to get the city to require the developer and architect to slim this south facade.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:57 AM

I was just a little disappointed looking at the initial renderings. Although I gotta say after seeing it from those angles I truly don't understand this one. The design has so much potential but it really is ridiculously wide. It's one of those situations where if they build it then whatever because it will still add something to the skyline. However, being about half as wide may save the southern view of the skyline for many years to come.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:29 AM

I see what you’re saying Orlando. The width of the building looking north does look a bit odd. If we could somehow make it slimmer while adding height it would definitely be more pleasing. But the street engagement is pretty good IMO

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:04 AM
One Thing At A Time

I dig the new rendering. I think we will always shout about more height but this would be huge as proposed. Nothing is that tall south of 400 south.

As far as the Priskos and Arrow Press I can say that they are my landlords for my commercial operation and I’m constantly encouraging them to build a statement tower on that lot. Pushing them to build a 500 foot tower. I’ll say at least the younger Priskos family members have high hopes and big plans for the future of SLC.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Okay Comrade and allh, still like your apples?

We need to protest this. Seriously, this is awful. The city needs to crack down on their land use code to not allow this crap. I want to get a petition going to get the city to require the developer and architect to slim this south facade.

Yeah I’d say I’m with you Orlando, always really a fan of anything over 150 feet, and especially in that part of the city, but this building’s north/south profile honestly makes it look like less than that. I do very much like the way it’d sort help to extend main street’s urban canyon all the way to 6th south though

But yeah it’s so stubby looking, almost like a a super abstract take on the grand america. Even just splitting it into two identical, American Towers style buildings could massively improve the profile imo

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:54 AM

https://www.abc4.com/sports/oakland-...tes-next-week/
Bad News for anyone hoping the Oakland A's would move to Utah.
Quote:
ABC4 affiliate KRON has confirmed with the Oakland A’s they will visit potential sites for a new stadium next week in the Las Vegas area.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Here's a nice view from the webcam this morning of the most underdeveloped part of downtown:

With the 400 S/West Temple site (hopefully) getting built into a nice tower, does anyone know if there are plans for those two big parking lots on both sides of West Temple south of 300 S?
I’m also hoping we get a tower or something nice on the former Zephyr Club site (the parking lot in the foreground).

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Same. I can't understand the criticism of this and yet the support for most of the recent towers that have been built ... which lack the same level of street engagement and are painfully boring. More buildings like this, I say (which means it probably won't actually be built)!
Because it's way too wide, and frankly, I just think it's ugly. I don't really like the design, the shape, or the massing. I think it's a huge miss in every way except maybe street-level engagement, and I hope it sees significant changes before approval. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

And I don't praise all of the projects. I think the design for Astra/Kensington is solid, but far from remarkable. 95 State is already making a great impression on the skyline - I like the curve of the glass and the massing is just about right. I do think it would benefit a lot from some sort of crown. 111 Main is plain, yes, but I think it will age well. Liberty Sky is also too wide - I would've rather traded that width for a few more floors of height. The design is solidly average. I think the CCH will end up looking very good. So it's about 50/50 for me on new skyscraper design.

I think the nicest high rise in the city is actually 222 Main. That would look fantastic with about double the height.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:41 PM
Space Magi

Thanks for the massings, Orlando, although after staring at the rendering I think your model of the Sundial isn't quite right (particularly in the second view). I do agree that it's a wall of a building but I think I'll hold any further judgement until I see more angles/elevations.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 2:25 PM

I love it!!! The Convention hotel is the monstrosity as one big wall. I like this Sundial structure a lot. I like that it’s not blue glass. I like that it reminds me of the Eagle Gate/world trade center Utah tower but of the 2020s. Build it!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 2:30 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Because it's way too wide, and frankly, I just think it's ugly. I don't really like the design, the shape, or the massing. I think it's a huge miss in every way except maybe street-level engagement, and I hope it sees significant changes before approval. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
I actually really like it. My immediate first impression was very positive.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:22 PM

Astra

There is a crew on site at Astra apparently working on the billboards this morning. Looks like they are taking them down.

Last edited by nushiof; May 19, 2021 at 3:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West