Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 9:39 PM

Edmonton Is Making Its Alleyways a Great Place to Live

Edmonton Is Making Its Alleyways a Great Place to Live

February 1, 2021

By Cailynn Klingbeil

Read More: https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/edm...-place-to-live

Quote:

As part of a bold plan to build in rather than out, the city has been loosening regulations and streamlining permitting for garden suites. Its goal is to squeeze more living space into the urban landscape by slipping these apartments, also known as granny flats, laneway housing and accessory dwelling units into underutilized urban spaces. While these small-scale living spaces, often located in the backyard of a detached house, are difficult to build in many North American cities, Edmonton is clearing a path for them.

- “Edmonton is like the unassuming leader when it comes to garden suite bylaws and infill policy,” says Ashley Salvador, an urban planner and president of YEGarden Suites, an education and advocacy-based non-profit. Though the city is perhaps better known for its sprawling parking lots, Salvador says she’s seen a culture shift in Edmonton, which is developing a reputation as an unlikely pioneer of progressive urban concepts. “When we first started out [in 2017], no one knew what garden suites were,” she says. “We’d say the word and they’re like, ‘What do you mean? Is that like a shed or something? Are you gardening back there?’” — Now, though, the suites have become “pretty mainstream,” according to Salvador, with close to 400 across the city. Salvador has seen a recent uptick in interest due to the COVID-19 pandemic. “People are thinking about their families and loved ones and how to care for them into the future in a way that is resilient and can withstand these kinds of uncertain shocks,” Salvador says.

- This commitment to densification is all the more impressive when you consider that Edmonton does have room to continue sprawling outwards, says Sean Bohle, a senior planner for the city. But there are many good reasons for pulling more people into existing neighborhoods regardless. Bohle points to a 2011 report showing that Edmonton’s mature neighborhoods generally completed prior to 1970 consistently lost population in the preceding 40 years. That means fewer people utilizing the schools, roads, parks, playgrounds and other infrastructure in those communities. — “There’s definitely a fiscal responsibility element to pursuing infill development, but it isn’t purely a fiscal question,” says Bohle. “There’s environmental benefits from containing your urban growth and not expanding outwards, and there’s also a bit of an urban vitality element to it as well. The more people we have in existing areas, these people support local shops and businesses. They’re out in public, they’re in the parks, they’re using the facilities that have already been built.”

- Garden suites hold other advantages for homeowners, as well, giving them the opportunity to adapt their property for rental income, multi-generational living, or to downsize rather than move. Recognizing these benefits, Edmonton has been cutting the red tape that often constrains this type of construction. “In the past five years or so, Edmonton has made a tremendous number of changes to try to adjust our zones and our other rules… to make it work for the builders of these types of units,” Bohle says. Developers have taken note. “They’ve done a great job of easing the process,” says Daniel Engleman, co-founder of Honomobo, an Edmonton-based business that sells houses, including laneway models, made of shipping containers. — About 50 percent of Honomobo’s business is now in California, says Engleman, where accessory dwelling units have been made simpler to build across the state. But Engleman says that while it costs about $2,500 for a garden suite permit in Edmonton, fees in California add up to $30,000 to $40,000.

- Another major change saw garden suites move from a discretionary use to a permitted use, meaning if all rules of the zoning bylaw are met, a permit can’t be denied. Last summer, another barrier was removed when the city eliminated parking minimums, so garden suites no longer require a set number of parking stalls. — Perhaps the most whimsical change has been that, as more people move into alleyways, other residents are starting to see those spaces differently as places for more than just throwing their garbage and parking their cars. In recent years, businesses have started opening in at least one Edmonton back alley. A one-day pop-up art show and auction called the Secret Alley Gallery was held in 2016 in a narrow downtown laneway. And in 2019, a laneway block party was hosted in an alley with three garden suites, featuring food trucks, music, entertainment and garden suite tours. “It opened the door to people seeing [alleys] in a little bit of a different light,” says Salvador.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:21 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cleveland has a bit of these alley or garage houses on the backlots -- mostly i think scattered around midtown. my cousin and her spouse lived in one when they were first married. of course in the peaker eras there used to be a lot more of them there. its fine to encourage for growing and densifying cities -- they have a long proven history.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

chicago has some legacy alley houses (or "coach houses", as they are known in chicago parlance) sprinkled here and there in many of the older urban core neighborhoods of the city, but they were outlawed by the zoning code in the '50s, i guess as some sort of well-intentioned slum prevention idea, so we're only left with the old ones that were grandfathered in.

however, now that housing affordability is the big issue in cities everywhere, and ADUs are the hot buzz concept in planning circles, there is now a pilot program to once again allow for the construction of new alley-facing coach houses in 5 broad target areas of the city (along with also easing the rules on attic and basement apartments). this is all pretty brand new (like as of 2 months ago), so it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Quote:
City Council OKs easing ban on coach houses
In-law apartments and other accessory dwelling units, forbidden in Chicago since 1957, are now allowed in five broad areas under a pilot program proposed by Mayor Lori Lightfoot.

By Fran Spielman and David Roeder
Dec 15, 2020, 6:21pm CST
Chicago Sun-Times

Chicago’s 63-year-old ban on coach houses and basement or attic apartments was repealed in five broad areas of the city under a pilot program approved Wednesday by the City Council.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot had proposed the program, and it was endorsed Tuesday by two aldermanic committees.

Council approval was overwhelming, with only two “No” votes: Ald. Ray Lopez (15th) and Ald. Patrick Daley Thompson (11th).

It allows construction of accessory dwelling units — ADUs — within five zones, provided the additional space otherwise meets building and safety codes. Coach houses or carriage houses — single-family homes in the rear of a property — and so-called in-law apartments are among the homes that fall under the ADU umbrella.
source: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/12...c%20committees.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:54 PM

In Pittsburgh, alleys are named streets with the suffix "Way" added. In the older, 19th century portions of the city, they can be mostly lined with homes - since they were never constructed to be true alleys to begin with. In a few high-cost neighborhoods new-construction homes have begun to fill in the alleys, but up until last year they needed to have one off-street parking space, which necessitated front-facing garages for any home which only fronted on one right of way. This has now been altered, so hopefully we'll see better built form.

This is probably my favorite way in the city. It's right by a local art museum, and many of the alley houses were historically rented out to artists who decorated the front facades.

My neighborhood is more early 20th century, so the alley houses are more typically alley-like. I believe this is the only alley home - right next to a Rite Aid parking lot.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 4:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ chicago alleys are typically much more exclusively dedicated as service alleys (they are not named for starters), so i can't think of any alleys where you would see primarily coach houses (as opposed to garages) like those pittsburgh examples, but all the same, the areas where you do see coach houses in chicago tend to be of a more late-19th century vintage instead of early 20th.

my neighborhood was primarily built out 1900-1920, and while i haven't walked down every single alley in my immediate area, this is the only coach house that i've come across, and it certainly doesn't look like it's being used as a residence these days: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9652...7i16384!8i8192

here's an older 19th century chicago neighborhood alley with a few of old coach houses: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8947...7i16384!8i8192

and here's what the VAST majority of 20th century alleys in chicago look like, nothing but garages and parking pads: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9600...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ chicago alleys are typically much more exclusively dedicated as service alleys (they are not named for starters), so i can't think of any alleys where you would see primarily coach houses (as opposed to garages) like those pittsburgh examples, but all the same, the areas where you do see coach houses in chicago tend to be of a more late-19th century vintage instead of early 20th.

my neighborhood was primarily built out 1900-1920, and while i haven't walked down every single alley in my immediate area, this is the only coach house that i've come across, and it certainly doesn't look like it's being used as a residence these days: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9652...7i16384!8i8192

here's an older 19th century chicago neighborhood alley with a few of old coach houses: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8947...7i16384!8i8192

and here's what the VAST majority of 20th century alleys in chicago look like, nothing but garages and parking pads: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9600...7i16384!8i8192
Where alley homes exist, they basically came about through one of two manners.

First, there are really old streets, where the alleys were literally just narrow streets only ever meant to be traversed on foot. This row is a good example, as the homes are quite old (pre-1870) and were built out facing the smaller street (which has since been designated the alley) with backyards on the "main right of way."

Much more typical however was the initial plots in rowhouse neighborhoods extended from street to alley. A few decades later they subdivided and built in the backyard facing the alley. These were not (except in wealthy areas) typically former carriage houses. Instead they were just newer (few were built after 1910) rowhouses. On wide properties they could cram two homes in the rear where there was only a single home in the front.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 6:30 PM

cool plan, I hope it takes off. Some of my favorite places in Philly are some of the older blocks that have been broken up into sub-parcels, like this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9469...7i16384!8i8192

Sounds like Edmonton is trying to do something similar. It definitely makes for a nice pedestrian experience.

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Feb 8, 2021 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 8:26 PM

Yeah, I love those centuries-old Philly alleys. Some of the most charming streets in North America.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
cool plan, I hope it takes off. Some of my favorite places in Philly are some of the older blocks that have been broken up into sub-parcels, like this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9469...7i16384!8i8192

Sounds like Edmonton is trying to do something similar. It definitely makes for a nice pedestrian experience.
Just wow Philadelphia!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, I love those centuries-old Philly alleys. Some of the most charming streets in North America.
Yeah, I think they're the only real collection of pedestrian-only residential streets left in the country. There are plenty of alleys in other cities of course, but they are generally speaking wide enough for a car to travel down. I think this is true for all but the narrowest of alleys in the North End of Boston for example.

I do wonder why they even bother having curbs on those Philly streets though. Maybe it's just to stop people from trying to drive down and hitting the street trees/stoops? Seems to me treating the entire street surface as a "sidewalk" would be better though - maybe with some bollards blocking entrance for people with cars who are idiots.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, I think they're the only real collection of pedestrian-only residential streets left in the country. There are plenty of alleys in other cities of course, but they are generally speaking wide enough for a car to travel down. I think this is true for all but the narrowest of alleys in the North End of Boston for example.

I do wonder why they even bother having curbs on those Philly streets though. Maybe it's just to stop people from trying to drive down and hitting the street trees/stoops? Seems to me treating the entire street surface as a "sidewalk" would be better though - maybe with some bollards blocking entrance for people with cars who are idiots.
There's a surprising number of very narrow streets in old Western mining towns like Trail, BC and especially Bisbee, AZ, although they're technically speaking not pedestrian only (unless you count the public staircases that are the only way to access some of the homes in Bisbee).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:32 AM

Good idea. Sacramento has a network of alleys in the old central city, and with the recent citywide upzoning, I'm optimistic this will make more (legal) alley-fronting units feasible going forward.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:37 PM

What are the address naming conventions for some of these alley homes?..I know that the small town that I grew up in had a "B" attached to the alley home in the rear, and sometimes an "A" attached to the main address for the house facing the street. (eg.242A and 242B Main street), or just 242 and 242B

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
What are the address naming conventions for some of these alley homes?..I know that the small town that I grew up in had a "B" attached to the alley home in the rear, and sometimes an "A" attached to the main address for the house facing the street. (eg.242A and 242B Main street), or just 242 and 242B
In Pittsburgh the alley homes have normal addresses, because as I noted all alleys are named.

I actually lived on an alley when I first lived in Pittsburgh, here in Bloomfield.

Occasionally you do see units labeled "B," but this usually happens on streets or alleys where there are lots of rowhouses crammed very closely together. I have occasionally seen B used for buildings in accessory buildings on a primary parcel without access to an alley.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

In chicago, where alleys are unnamed, it seems that the city's preferred addressing style is the suffix "CH" for "coach house".

although i've also seen the suffix "R" for "rear" used.

anyway, here's a cool heat map i found of where chicago's grandfathered coach houses are primarily found today.

link: https://miro.medium.com/max/1350/1*Z..._PGGrtSFmw.png

source: https://blog.chicagocityscape.com/wh...o-2f8b00709759

i live in a decidedly non-coach house area, but that might slowly begin to change with the new ADU pilot program (though i imagine attic and basement apartments, as the lower hanging fruit, will be more common at first).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 10, 2021 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:13 PM

So Edmonton will be allowing laneway housing in all parts of the city or just the central core?

Because unlike most American cities, Edmonton (and other Canadian Prairie cities) continued building alleys in the majority of neighbourhoods post-WWII, up until maybe the 1980s when it was still building them in a significant minority of developments. And then in the last decade or so, they've once again become the norm. So this could potentially open very large swaths of the city to laneway housing infill.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
So Edmonton will be allowing laneway housing in all parts of the city or just the central core?

Because unlike most American cities, Edmonton (and other Canadian Prairie cities) continued building alleys in the majority of neighbourhoods post-WWII, up until maybe the 1980s when it was still building them in a significant minority of developments. And then in the last decade or so, they've once again become the norm. So this could potentially open very large swaths of the city to laneway housing infill.
Were postwar neighborhoods in Edmonton built out with alleys? In the U.S. this road typology ended when streetcar suburbs stopped being constructed.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Were postwar neighborhoods in Edmonton built out with alleys? In the U.S. this road typology ended when streetcar suburbs stopped being constructed.
chicago (both the city and some inner burbs) was still building-out bungalow-belt style neighborhoods with blocks bisected by alleys into the '50s, though the practice started falling out of fashion by the '60s (which was a shame).

1950s chicago bungalow-belt with alleys: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...!4d-87.7008049

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:38 PM

I really enjoy discovering these weird, unknown and unkempt paths in cities... I bike quite a bit and use them as funky shortcuts. A few of my favorite in Pittsburgh and Erie:

Pittsburgh:
Highland Park
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4731...7i16384!8i8192

Polish Hill
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4571...7i16384!8i8192

Sharpsburg
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4955...7i13312!8i6656

Erie:
Lower West Side
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1216...7i13312!8i6656

New Jerusalem
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1285...7i13312!8i6656

Lawrence Park
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1480...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I really enjoy discovering these weird, unknown and unkempt paths in cities... I bike quite a bit and use them as funky shortcuts.
yeah, when biking i frequently use chicago's ubiquitous alleys to short-cut my way around hairy intersections and/or annoying one-way streets.

there's like this whole other secondary service street grid laid out over and in between the regular street grid that can be used by cyclists to get around and through places.

the major caveat being that alleys in chicago don't get street-sweeped and are thus prone to collecting broken glass and other debris than can puncture bike tires.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions