HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 11:52 AM
TL;DR

Some awesomeness from Amtrak's FY2010 budget....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrak FY2010 Budget
Grand Crossing Route - CREATE ($1.5M): Project will complete the Environmental Impact Study (EIS) and preliminary design work. This project establishes a new and faster route for Amtrak’s existing Chicago-Carbondale-New Orleans train service and, in addition, would permit growth of such services in the future as contemplated under the Midwest Regional Rail Initiative. With the consummation of the CN acquisition of the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway, and Amtrak will be the sole user of the St. Charles Air Line route into and out of Chicago. This right-of-way real estate is desired by the City of Chicago for non-railroad uses. It is therefore imperative that this project be progressed through the next phase.
This money was set aside months before the Englewood Flyover was awarded its grant, so it seems they're really moving fast on this. Somebody in City Hall really wants the SCAL vacated... and RTA is currently conducting a "South Lakefront Transit Study".

And, in equally awesome news:
Quote:
Chicago Union Station improvements ($13.0M)
Project will relocate CUS Metropolitan Lounge to head house; renovate the coach boarding lounge, convert lounge G to public restrooms; install 72 sets of head house entry doors; install induction lighting; restoration of head house facade; install a new HVAC for the great hall and the 2nd and 3rd floors of the station, replace 12 escalators; replace tactile edging along the platforms; renovate pedway; install head house sprinkler system; replace both exterior and interior windows throughout the 2nd of 8th floors throughout the head house, and modernize elevators (4 passenger, 2 freight). Environmental remediation work, which will include lead based paint and asbestos removal on upper floors.
and
Quote:
Chicago Parking Garage Elevator Replacement $0.5M
This is a continuing project and involves the construction necessary to replace two aging elevators (1970's model) that are used by Amtrak's parking customers and connect the parking garage to the pedestrian walkway into Chicago Union Station. The elevators experience frequent breakdowns due to high utilization levels and because of their age the elevator's replacement parts have become more difficult to locate and procure.
Looks like Union Station is about to get quite a bit nicer. Moving the Metropolitan Lounge will open up space in the concourse and add additional restrooms, and the headhouse will have its doors and windows replaced and finally be air-conditioned.

Still no mention of removing the arcade, though... ( I love that even in one of Chicago's most awe-inspiring civic spaces, you can walk around a corner and wind up in the back of Beggar's Pizza, circa 1980...)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
One more reason to not turn the SCAL into a playground for a few bike fanatics just yet... even moreso than Bloomingdale, one can imagine a wide variety of usefulness as an actual transportation corridor.
Why in the world would you want true HSR to come within a cat's whisker of McCormick Place and have unimpeded access to the Hub station of the MWHSR system and then be able to travel directly to the 2nd busiest airport in the nation?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Why in the world would you want true HSR to come within a cat's whisker of McCormick Place and have unimpeded access to the Hub station of the MWHSR system and then be able to travel directly to the 2nd busiest airport in the nation?
Far better if everyone can bicycle between them. Imagine, people from all over the Midwest arrive for their convention in Chicago via rail, then hop the folding bicycle they brought with over the SCAL to McCormick Place.

Sigh.

Good news on the Union Station improvements... nothing earth-shattering, but anything to make the concourse feel less like a cramped labyrinth is great progress. Turning Grand Crossing into Grand Junction will make rail the no-brainer default for travel between Chicago and Champaign or Carbondale. It's already a decent and quick service, but wastes around 20 minutes with the circuitous trip onto the SCAL and then backing into Union. Of course, one wonders if for the same money one could improve signalling and add trackwork to take out the reverse maneuver under the current routing, but the fix is in on the SCAL.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 9:12 PM
TL;DR

^^ In short, no... the yards south of Union Station are too hemmed in. You'd need a new flyover to negotiate a grade change of ~15 feet between the SCAL and the yard below, on a tight curve, descending into a yard with no available space. Alternatively, you could replace the SCAL bridge with one at a lower level, but it would need to be operable, it would have to open frequently due to its low elevation, and you can't tear the old one down b/c of Landmark designation.

On the other hand, the flyover at Grand Crossing already exists... or, at least, the bridge and underpass do. The tracks were ripped out long ago, but there's an existing flyover bridge allowing trains from the SCAL to cross from the east to the west side of the Metra Electric and then dip under the NS Chicago Line, while curving to the west, then rising up to NS level gradually. All you have to do is rehabilitate the existing bridge/underpass, lay tracks, and install signals. The trains won't be barreling through here, and there will be a few tight turns in the track, but it will still save quite a bit of time. (Also, the MWRRI trains will all eventually be double-ended, negating the need for turnaround procedures and saving even more time.)

I'm not sure whether the Grand Crossing project will include a new line for passenger rail all the way to Englewood, or whether they'll just switch onto the NS and leave the new tracks for a future project.

One last thing... I believe the SCAL through the South Loop is crumbling. Taking trains off of it will allow it to be fully rehabbed or rebuilt to modern standards, while taking out the weird curves on the current alignment that are responsible for much of the noise. The grade could also be raised to improve clearances at the underpasses (although the Green Line running above limits the amount of grade change).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 1:21 AM

This may have been posted already, but I'm too lazy to look through the other 12 pages of this thread. So forgive me if it has been.

Quote:
Major Study Advocates 220 Mph Operation on Chicago-St. Louis Run
by Yonah Freemark -June 30th, 2009

Midwest High Speed Rail Association envisions a less than two-hour express trip between the cities.

Today, the Midwest High Speed Rail Association released a major report studying 220 mph train service between Chicago and St. Louis. Though the project has yet to be endorsed by any government officials, the Association’s study will stimulate further discussion about the level of investment necessary for the link between the two cities. More importantly, the study’s conclusions indicate that Illinois’ existing plans for 110 mph, four-hour service between the metro regions are out of date and under-scaled to meet travel needs in the Midwest.

The study, completed by consultant Tran Systems, was commissioned by the Association to determine costs and other elements of a potential very-fast service across the state of Illinois. The main challenge of the report was to compare the existing Amtrak corridor, which runs almost directly from Chicago to St. Louis, via Springfield, with another corridor, partially unused, which runs via Champaign and Decatur before continuing on. The latter route was found to be acceptable for a 220 mph operating speed, largely because it is quite straight throughout. The Amtrak route is constrained by numerous curves which would slow down trains considerably.

Excitingly, the study argues that trains could run express between the major cities, with stops in Champaign and Springfield, in 1h52; with more stops in Kankakee, Decatur, and Metro East, trains could complete the journey in 2h04. The study advocates hourly trips. These journey times compare favorably with operations on the very similar Paris-Lyon TGV corridor in France. According to the report, the line could be rebuilt with electric catenary for $11.5 billion in 2012 dollars, an estimate that does not include rolling stock or maintenance facilities. The study argues that the state could prevent a sudden loss of treasury by building the line in seven phases.

The short report is worth a glance-through; though it isn’t particularly detailed, it is the first step towards transforming ideas for this Illinois route from mediocrity to world-class status.

More:
http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-st-louis-run/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 1:39 AM

Found this too.

Chicago
Expansion: West Loop Transportation Center

http://www.downtownairport.com/step05.htm

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 3:05 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

West Loop's absolutely necessary for the whole Chicago Hub network to work. (Not just the point-to-point parts, but the run-through parts as well.)

And she's a looker, too, isn't she?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 3:33 AM
TL;DR

If we can actually build something, I will be amazed. If it looks that good, I will literally eat my hat.

I don't even know if it's structurally possible in that form, with the track/platforms cantilevered from the outside walls and then open shafts in the center for escalators/elevators. I guess they did something similar in SF for the Market Street Tunnel, but I can't find any drawings of that anywhere.

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 23, 2010 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
If we can actually build something, I will be amazed. If it looks that good, I will literally eat my hat.

I don't even know if it's structurally possible in that form, with the track/platforms cantilevered from the outside walls and then open shafts in the center for escalators/elevators. I guess they did something similar in SF for the Market Street Tunnel, but I can't find any drawings of that anywhere.
Only the pedestrian level and bus lanes appear to be fully cantilevered (with the subway partially cantilevered), should be doable.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 6:57 PM
Urbane observer

^And I find it hard to believe it would meet fire code to have those open escalator runs. I thought that was one of the painful lessons from Block 37.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 7:26 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^And I find it hard to believe it would meet fire code to have those open escalator runs. I thought that was one of the painful lessons from Block 37.
What's wrong with open escalator runs?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 12:43 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
What's wrong with open escalator runs?
I guess they might collapse in case of fire?

Department stores and malls have had them for years, and I'm pretty sure they're still allowed in department stores, since the new Dillard's at Atlantic Station has them. Of course, Chicago probably has different regulations than Atlanta, and there aren't heavy trains and buses (read: fire hazards on wheels) rolling through most department stores.

It might be more efficient to move the busway to the surface on a pedestrianized mall with shelters or a vaulted roof, and then stack one direction of the CTA over the other to narrow the width required. The vertical circulation could then be built under vacant lots or plazas along Clinton instead of being squeezed under the street. Barcelona's new subway line does this efficiently. Most importantly, this allows for even wider light wells that might actually succeed at bringing light to the HSR level. They would be on the side instead of in the center.

Clinton isn't as built up as it seems, and the entrances could be planned jointly to occupy the ground floors of small new buildings. At Union Station, you could put an escalator/elevator core in the parking lot south of Union Station, or the parking lot south of the CB&Q Building. There's a small building at 113 S. Clinton that could be torn down for an entrance. At Ogilvie, you could use ABN AMRO's plaza. At Clinton, there's a parking lot on the SW corner.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 1:07 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
It might be more efficient to move the busway to the surface on a pedestrianized mall with shelters or a vaulted roof, and then stack one direction of the CTA over the other to narrow the width required. The vertical circulation could then be built under vacant lots or plazas along Clinton instead of being squeezed under the street. Barcelona's new subway line does this efficiently. Most importantly, this allows for even wider light wells that might actually succeed at bringing light to the HSR level. They would be on the side instead of in the center.

Clinton isn't as built up as it seems, and the entrances could be planned jointly to occupy the ground floors of small new buildings. At Union Station, you could put an escalator/elevator core in the parking lot south of Union Station, or the parking lot south of the CB&Q Building. There's a small building at 113 S. Clinton that could be torn down for an entrance. At Ogilvie, you could use ABN AMRO's plaza. At Clinton, there's a parking lot on the SW corner.
I like everything you've said here. Couldn't agree more. Do you think if forumers actually presented these ideas to the CTA, RTA or whatever city body that they would actually be acknowledged and appreciated, or is it inevitable that salaried 'experts' will deliver a less desirable plan then what we novice forumers are capable of envisioning?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 1:38 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

If there's more space available, making the HSR tracks at the bottom four-track would be a good idea as well. At two tracks, it won't take too long for the through line to become absurdly congested--even though a good many of those services are supposed to terminate at Union Station.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:05 AM
TL;DR

^^ The WLTC is a City project, so you'd have to bring it up with CDOT. The renderings are fairly conceptual anyway (if you couldn't tell) so I don't think there's much point unless the city actually decides to move forward with this thing. I just like being creative. Maybe I'll crank out a section or something.

^ I believe the eventual plan is to send trains from St. Louis, Detroit, and Cleveland on to O'Hare after Union Station, along an unspecified alignment. Somewhere between the two stations would be a large specialized yard for HSR. I'm not sure where you'd get the real estate for more than 2 tracks, anyway, without digging deeper... and how would you connect the two levels? This isn't New York, where you can bore all sorts of crazy flying junctions out of the rock. It's not impossible, but it's best if you can avoid it. Caissons go 125 feet down to bedrock, and there are a good number of skyscrapers with such foundations in the area. Maybe you could bore 2 more tracks under Canal?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
This may have been posted already, but I'm too lazy to look through the other 12 pages of this thread. So forgive me if it has been.
Western route is definitely best for that corridor IMO, since it is shorter and more direct. The eastern route could have potential for a separate corridor (ultimately ending up in Memphis).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Western route is definitely best for that corridor IMO, since it is shorter and more direct. The eastern route could have potential for a separate corridor (ultimately ending up in Memphis).
The reason the eastern corridor is preferred for true HSR (220mph) is because the CN/IC row from Chicago due south to Kankakee is FAR less congested with freight and is already a 4 track wide row in Chicago. The estimate for grade separations and ROW acquisitions and remediation through the current row towards Joliet has been ruled out as infeasible and impossible to accomplish due to space restrictions.

The CN/IC route is relatively unfettered and WIDE. Its a no brain-er and achieves the ultimate goal of City to City speed. The fact that it picks up the states largest university in Champaign and the forgotten city of Decatur (home of ADM) is considered a minor bonus.

If you notice that the southern route through St. Louis' Illinois suburbs also varies from the current routing. The same thing occurs in Granite City where the row is too congested and meanders through freight yards. The new ROW will be brand new construction that will traverse near SIU-Edwardsville just north of downtown Edwardsville.

The main thing is that 220mph service requires COMPLETE grade separation form freight and roads and that is impossible to achieve in the current Amtrak alignment in the CHI-StL corridor.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
The fact that it picks up the states largest university in Champaign and the forgotten city of Decatur (home of ADM) is considered a minor bonus.
I'm not sure I'd call C-U a minor bonus. I've got friends in C-U and at UofI and there is a ton a CU - Chicago traffic—either on Amtrak, Megabus, other bus lines(Swallow, Peoria Charter, Greyhound, Trailways) as well as many many auto trips, many of which would likely prefer riding a train that travels 3.5 times as fast as they can drive.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 8:43 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm not sure I'd call C-U a minor bonus. I've got friends in C-U and at UofI and there is a ton a CU - Chicago traffic—either on Amtrak, Megabus, other bus lines(Swallow, Peoria Charter, Greyhound, Trailways) as well as many many auto trips, many of which would likely prefer riding a train that travels 3.5 times as fast as they can drive.
Indeed. 18000 undergrads at IL State, 31000 at UIUC. Which one should HSR go to?

It could also shave 1.5 hours off of the Saluki and City of New Orleans, if they switched to HSR-compatible equipment.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 6:53 PM

dp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation