HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:47 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
That would be no good in Edmonton, you guys lived, what a quarter mile from the US border? Being 20 miles from the border I was only able to get WDAZ Channel 8 Devils Lake, Grand Forks and only for about an hour after the sun came up!

WDAZ had the best broadcasting power.

KX96 had 100 thousand watts of power though. Blasting from Foxwarren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVDK1HHRzhc

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:47 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Did you have one of these things? I did.

My grandparents had one of those in Windsor. I still remember the sound it made when you rotated the dial (I vaguely recall that on a good day they'd pick up a station in Toledo). They didn't even get cable until the 1990s, and only after we had it installed for them as a Christmas gift.

Anyone remember doing this?

Source

Or this: "OK Timmy... that's good, hold it juuuuust like that!"

Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jan 26, 2022 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:25 PM
Ham-burgher

Actually that kid holding the antenna was probably just like me, at the cottage east of Sault Ste. Marie... grandpa had brought up a small black and white TV and connected it to a car battery -- no hydro there -- and depending how the antenna was oriented we'd get a channel from Sudbury (which I think was relayed at Elliott Lake) and one from SSM if the conditions were right, but the clearest was an ABC affiliate in Traverse City that also broadcast from somewhere in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Learned a lot about the state's geography when the news weather forecast was on!

He had a loud generator to power some tools and an ancient vacuum grandma used, but I think recharging the battery for the TV was its most common purpose. I made many trips from the TV to the generator outside toting that thing. Good times.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:40 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I still remember the sound it made when you rotated the dial
wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah..

Thanks for bringing me back down memory lane.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Lol. The model they had made more of a "ta-ch ta-ch ta-ch ta-ch ta-ch" sound. I think it even had a little light showing you where the antenna was aimed as it rotated.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Heck, we only had one B&W tv for years, and when I was living in Edmonton (72-74), we only received 3 channels (CTV, CBC, Radio-Canada). Romper Room, Mr. Dressup, Friendly Giant, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Rocket Robin Hood, and the Flintstones. And Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner.

Is that the villain from Rocket Robin Hood? That dreadful animation is seared into my brain. Yeesh, that was a godawful show! On the other hand, I still have much affection for shows from my childhood like The Amazing Spiderman, The Mighty Hercules (Daedalus's head bobbing up and down as he slinks through the forest), Dr. Snuggles, Fables of the Green Forest, Mr. Dressup, and The Littlest Hobo. We unfortunately didn't get Mr. Rogers (PBS) when I was a child, or I would have loved him. I grew to love him later (who wouldn't?). Also, in Ontario, did it get any better than avuncular old Elwy Yost and his movie shows? Even at a very young age, I was bothered by the ungrammatical, "This film not to be copied", that opened every feature presentation.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:31 PM
Ham-burgher

My American cartoon memories include this (though I only saw the reruns in the 1970s)... made me want to visit Lompoc. Maybe I will one day.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:34 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Also, in Ontario, did it get any better than avuncular old Elwy Yost and his movie shows?
Magic Shadows!

PBS was great in that it showed Monty Python, uncut and unedited. Without that, my sense of humour would be vastly different today. (and clearly my parents were not paying attention to what I was watching, even before I hit 10 years old ... my first glimpse of real boobies was when a Buffalo TV station aired The Godfather at some point in the 1970s; mom and dad later found out when they were watching that film and told me to cover my eyes during the scene, and I said "I've already seen this!!")

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 10:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Is that the villain from Rocket Robin Hood? That dreadful animation is seared into my brain. Yeesh, that was a godawful show!
apparently he was an ally of Rocket Robin Hood. His name was Friar Tuck.

Here is a bio, in glorious high-quality animation:
Video Link
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 10:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The absolutely most high panic theme song beginning (0:05-0:08) is that of Spiderman, c. 1967
Video Link

Spiderman, Spiderman. Just came out of the garbage can.
Is he strong? No he's not. He's got radioactive snot.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 10:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Remember those godawful PBS pledge drives?
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 10:48 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Remember those godawful PBS pledge drives?
Video Link
Yes! The "best" ones were WNED from Buffalo with Goldie Gardner and her epicly nasal Western NY accent

My older brother "Mum, the blonde lady on TV says we MUST support them"

Oh the 1980s! That haircut
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 11:07 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Yes! The "best" ones were WNED from Buffalo with Goldie Gardner and her epicly nasal Western NY accent

My older brother "Mum, the blonde lady on TV says we MUST support them"
I hated how they made us wait until they had enough pledges to continue a show. I didn't understand the economics of public television.

I remember my dad watching the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan on PBS, which seemed really cool at points back then. I'll watch more when I have time, but at a glance the special effects have held up well for their age.

Video Link

And there was a show with this painter that used to do these nice landscapes with his "mighty brush"

Has the thread included this yet? Every time I come here, it's in my head. My apologies for Jean Stapleton's singing:

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 11:10 PM
Ham-burgher

While we're on the subject of PBS... a clip from another favourite show of my youth which also contributed heavily to my warped sense of humour. Here's their take on the public broadcaster personalities:

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
That’s funny that you only remember those shows as repeats, given your age. I was born in ‘65 and remember watching some of those shows when they were originally shown as well as in reruns. I do have pretty strong memories of my early childhood though, not everyone does, however. I remember watching Laugh-In in the late 60s, probably some of my earliest tv memories.

Being born in the first Gen X year, I feel almost as connected to the Boomers as I do Gen X, especially when I think back to my childhood. Do you feel any connection to the Boomers as well? I would think you might, considering you were born in ‘66.
No they were definitely re-runs, although I was alive (toddler) when they were still producing them. They were relevant re-runs though, Played after school, but not in the evening. I'm aware of both Laugh in and the Ed Sullivan show, and I almost remember Laugh In, but man it's waay back in the recesses, the same way that Under dog is..The Partridge Family definitely. There was one cartoon that I also barely remember..It was scary to us young uns and I sort of remember it being triangular stick figures centering around a witch. I remember the Vietnam War ending and it making major news, but not tuned into it while it was happening..I think it was on the news quite often though. My parents watched the news a lot..I had bigger fish to fry like making sure my brother didn't steal my big wheels!

The moon landing, I kind of sorta remember that..Just the excitement surrounding that event..As far as relating to the boomers..Yes definitely!.I was around them more .My baby sitters were boomers..My older sister, and older brother whom are a few years older then myself, technically fit into that age group. athough my brother once said he identified as an X'er (64)..The late Boomers were our baby sitters, younger hipper Aunts and Uncles but not teachers..I got my music influences from some of my younger boomer Aunts and Uncles actually. I would say I have slightly more in common with younger boomers then tail end X-ers listening to Nirvana.

Quote:
Heck, we only had one B&W tv for years, and when I was living in Edmonton (72-74), we only received 3 channels (CTV, CBC, Radio-Canada). Romper Room, Mr. Dressup, Friendly Giant, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Rocket Robin Hood, and the Flintstones.
Yes to all of that, and like the cliche, us kids were the remote!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:01 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I miss the days before smartphones.
Remember when we went to the toilet to actually.. poop?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Remember when we went to the toilet to actually.. poop?
Remember sneaking the Sears catalogue along when we weren't?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:24 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Remember sneaking the Sears catalogue along when we weren't?
Eaton's had the better models.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Did you have one of these things? I did.

Saturday morning, turn it to Minot, ND to pick up Bugs Bunny.

We had a rotator for our rooftop TV antenna in Charlottetown too. It was a pretty novel device on the island. Not too many people had them.

There was only one TV station on PEI when I was growing up - CFCY-TV in Charlottetown. It was a CBC affiliate, but had some independent programming. With the rotating antenna, it was possible to bring in signals from Moncton (CKCW-TV, then an independent and CBAF-TV, French CBC), and from Sydney NS (CJCB-TV, also then an independent).

CJCB was my favourite - it brought me the wonders of Batman (the Adam West one), and the original Star Trek.

Oh yes, and the sound the rotator made was a loud cha-chink, cha-chink, cha-chink while it rotated the antenna to it's new position.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:14 PM

I went through a rabbit ear phase in the early 2010s (after cutting cable). I think somewhat easier in the digital era though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada