HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
very nice thread. while the modernization is great to see, the unsustainable growth around there makes one sad.
Do not confuse Phoenix with So Cal, We have much more sustainable and healthy water procurement than many western cities and most of the development has been on former water hogging crops like Cotton, Citrus and Lettuce our water usage has remained stable as the population quadrupled

somewhat counterintuitively Phoenix exists as its the place where all the water collects on its way out to the Gulf of California/Sea of Cortez

The whole Metro used to be this, urban development uses much less water.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
very nice thread. while the modernization is great to see, the unsustainable growth around there makes one sad.
what are you, Nostradamus? how is Phoenix any less sustainable than New York or Paris? an aqueduct from Great Lakes to West Coast automatically adds ~200 years to Phoenix in terms of sustainability. don't mix current social politics with facts.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:59 PM
Skyriser

Incredible photo thread, it's making me feel very nostalgic. I never lived in nor really cared for Tempe but it's definitely showing its strong points these days.

Downtown is definitely no longer the Valley's office destination, it's lost Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase to points east. But it's exploded in living and entertainment options and has a small but growing startup scene to make up for it. The skyline doubling in bulk despite the significant outward drag on office in about the last five years or so demonstrates this.

It's probably best you didn't make it to the streetscape of Midtown which actually has seen some changes. They eviscerated the midcentury appeal of Park Central Mall in its remodel but there's a bunch of midrise development that's gone up nearby. Not a lot to write home about except Creighton going up in Park Central's parking lot, the second medical school in Central Phoenix.

Downtown Mesa is actually semi-decent now, probably gaining the most overall since there was so little there to begin with.

The old Good Samaritan hospital building you fondly recall will be torn down soon.

Finally, for having watched Phoenix grow for the last 20 years I'd say the appeal of outward sprawl is dying off. It's hit its limit for outward growth in three directions, physical or otherwise, and while there's certainly an appeal for new suburban development it's pretty much within the existing footprint. There's always going to be homebuilder fantasies for projects in the far West Valley as land speculation and wild-eyed projects are nothing new for that part of town. More of the same would-be Sun Valley Parkway crap, just a different day.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:44 AM

Nice pictures! I have not been in Phoenix for several years now, but will be there in October! I haven't really spent much time in Tempe, but I want to see more of it some time.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 1:10 AM
E pluribus unum

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 2:23 AM

Concur on ASU

[QUOTE=Obadno;9688588]U of A is NOT a better school that is simply Baja Arizona propaganda They've been trying to live off of that reputation for 30 years when ASU was a big party School and UofA wasnt but they are pretty on par now.

And when Crow gets through furthering the nexus between the Mayo Clinic and ASU as in a joint Med School (hopefully with an ASU/Mayo joint degree) we can stop hearing about UofA having the Medical School blah, blah, blah, etc and it will be a total game, set, match, for ASU.

There is a reason why these chip manufacturer's, (with high paying jobs), are setting up shop in the Phoenix area and that has to do with Crow's efforts in research and co-opting with the real business world. He is the most dynamic, think outside the box, College President, in the United States.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:31 PM

These photos are world class! Awesome work! Thank you! I love the valley

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 2:25 AM

thought I was professional when it comes to U.S. urbans but it seems you guys more pro... what Valley? you talking about it all the time

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
thought I was professional when it comes to U.S. urbans but it seems you guys more pro... what Valley? you talking about it all the time
Phoenix has always been called the valley of the sun because it's always sunny but mainly because its at the bottom of the mogollon rim which separates the higher elevation in northern Arizona and southern Arizona. Southern AZ is generally in a lower elevation from northern AZ with small exceptions like Mount Lemmon in Tucson. So the valley of the sun is a sprawled out metropolis (Phoenix) which has been gaining in density and urban-ness.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 7:37 PM
E pluribus unum

In a lot of ways, at least topographically, it is a valley. Way before the current sprawl, the original townsite was bound by the Phoenix Mountain Preserve to the northeast and South Mountain to the, well, south. Nowadays the metro area is more constrained by the Estrellas, the Mogollon Rim and the McDowells to the east/northeast and the Colorado Plateau to the north (Anthem/New River/Black Canyon City).

And even that is probably incorrect. My geography sucks.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:44 PM
them bones

Thanks for all the comments guys. Phoenix is a very special place to me. I spent 15 years of my life there, including the beginnings of my career. I won't ever live there again, but I am happy to see how portions of the city are really growing up.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos