HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I missed this detail--Century City Center will, if built, basically sit on top of the Century City subway station currently under construction, according to Urbanize LA. That is quite a perk, and really helps the proposal's appealing location, location, location.
You know LA has turned the tide when a CAA agent takes the subway. I hope to see it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 7:34 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
You know LA has turned the tide when a CAA agent takes the subway. I hope to see it.
Any development company worth their weight knows that a brand new Class A office tower on top of a subway stop on the Westside is gold! The agents may not take public transit, but the staffers and many visitors will. Century City already has 50,000 office workers, and the subway extension will make it even more appealing as a business district as new office towers come online going forward.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Looking at the rendering, I count 37 stories up to the last setback. So the offset roof element at the top would be in addition to the 37 stories. Assuming 13' per floor plate and 30' of roof element, we're looking at 511 feet for this one. Likely to be a little bit higher as the ground floor will be more than 13' and there appear to be 2 floors with higher heights about 1/3 and 2/3 up. So we're likely looking at something in the 525-535' height range. Not bad!!!
563' total with its top floor at 491'. That would make it the tallest non-twin tower in Century City, just beating out the AIG building.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 6:12 PM
Ascension

Looking at the site on Google Maps, there is more than enough room to add a residential component. There is nothing residential in the middle of Century City. The allure of living on top of a subway station in the middle of Century City is absolutely there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Looking at the site on Google Maps, there is more than enough room to add a residential component. There is nothing residential in the middle of Century City. The allure of living on top of a subway station in the middle of Century City is absolutely there.
The twin towers just built behind the hotel are residential...basically across the street from this development site. But you guys are kidding yourselves if you think the residents of these new luxury towers are going to be taking the subway. People paying millions to live in a vertical gated community on the Westside aren't going to be transit riders. For that matter, I doubt many of the office workers in CC will be, either. However, at least with those buildings, there are lots of support staff-- retail workers, security, custodial, and more junior employees that will benefit from the purple line stop. I just don't see many agents and lawyers (biggest clusters represented in CC) giving up their cars and easy, in-building parking spots to take the metro. Especially given where most of those people live.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 9:47 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
The twin towers just built behind the hotel are residential...basically across the street from this development site. But you guys are kidding yourselves if you think the residents of these new luxury towers are going to be taking the subway. People paying millions to live in a vertical gated community on the Westside aren't going to be transit riders. For that matter, I doubt many of the office workers in CC will be, either. However, at least with those buildings, there are lots of support staff-- retail workers, security, custodial, and more junior employees that will benefit from the purple line stop. I just don't see many agents and lawyers (biggest clusters represented in CC) giving up their cars and easy, in-building parking spots to take the metro. Especially given where most of those people live.
OK. But what if I'm not a lawyer but want to live in Century City and have jobs near or on Wilshire Blvd?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:09 PM
Paramoderator

Most people chose mass transit if got them to where they needed to go faster than driving. If an agent at CAA had a meeting downtown, or Hollywood, depending on the time of day, taking the subway would easily be the more expedient choice. So why wouldn't they ride it?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:49 PM
them bones

I'd be willing to bet that for every $200k+ professional in Century City, there are 3-5X that in Century City workers making less than $30/hr who would be more than willing to ride the subway if they can get anywhere near their house. Unfortunately I'd bet most of them live in the Valley, which is why the 405 line is so badly needed.

Quote:
For that matter, I doubt many of the office workers in CC will be, either.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:45 PM
Ascension

Quote:
However, at least with those buildings, there are lots of support staff-- retail workers, security, custodial, and more junior employees that will benefit from the purple line stop. I just don't see many agents and lawyers (biggest clusters represented in CC) giving up their cars and easy, in-building parking spots to take the metro. Especially given where most of those people live.
Lol this comment tho.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Most people chose mass transit if got them to where they needed to go faster than driving. If an agent at CAA had a meeting downtown, or Hollywood, depending on the time of day, taking the subway would easily be the more expedient choice. So why wouldn't they ride it?
I' m all for public transit, especially light and heavy rail transit. I advocated for the subway back in the 1980s and 1990s at public meetings. I love the trains. But I think a lot of people are reluctant to ride it not only because of covid, but because all of the sometimes violent crazy people who also ride it. Something has to be done to solve this problem. More security, more treatment and if necessary, commitment of violent people with mental illness, more shelter beds, whatever. Just a few days ago near Union Station, a crazy homeless man punched a nurse waiting for a bus in the head, and she fell on the concrete and fractured her skull, dying a day or two later in the hospital she worked at. Other people waiting for trains have been pushed onto the tracks by crazy people, and some have died. More commonly crazy or crIminal people on trains or in stations bother and threaten riders, or make demands for money. It happens all the time. It has happened to me. Ridership falls as a result.

Are the "Guardian Angels" still around? Some called them vigilantes, but all I saw were people helping others and reporting criminal activity to police. There were white, black, Latino and Asian "angels". They kept things safer as long as the transit police and security are so scarce. Maybe more of these voluntary patrols are needed on the trains, stations and buses, sanctioned by the police as voluntary patrols. Also, more cameras on all the trains and train stations, with people in transit headquarters watching 24/7 and notifying the transit police of problems and illegal activity so they can intervene. Every train station should have several transit police, and there should be some on trains that have problems. This will deter criminal actuvity.

Now, back to cinstruction activity.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 23, 2022 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 3:25 AM

^Very true. There is a giant issue with violence, crime and drug use on the LA Subway, mainly revolving homeless people. Incredible, on most LA threads you have a few forumers who will adamantly deny its an issue at all. That’s exactly why this issue continues to escalate- denial of reality.

That’s why I think most people who can afford it will not risk public transport in LA, unless some real changes in security and law enforcement are made. Otherwise, very few will willingly put themselves at hightened risk.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 7:57 AM

By the way... I was talking with a real estate developer and they told me about a "secret gentlemen's agreement" between Beverly Hills, LA, and Metro that may or may not be true... It is that in order for Beverly Hills to give the go ahead to allow the subway to go through their city, Los Angeles would have to commit to cleaning up downtown and MacArthur Park. As many of us know, the original subway was supposed to go down Wilshire but was blocked in part because it was the 1990's and the political climate allowed Beverly Hills to block the plan. Metro then used the money to build the red line to hollywood and a Wilshire stub to western. If any of you have noticed, MacArthur Park was closed earlier this month for "renovations" and has been fenced in, much like Echo Park. With the fencing, LA would be able to kick out people every night and prevent camping. Without the fence, people could camp overnight and then have squatters rights or some "interesting" law/ordinance we've concocted. I also heard that allegedly, the MacArthur Park area is now the most expensive land per square foot in all of LA and a developer owns a grand historic property adjacent to the park with plans for a major high end hotel.... I dont want to name names, but I was shocked at what hotel brand was mentioned

Could we be witnessing a massive upgrade beginning with the park closure??? Not sure but we will see with time if all of the riffraff gets cleaned up prior to the opening of the subway extension

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 22, 2022 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
The new rendering I was referring to:

Note the refined lobby area, the simplified cladding, and the future Metro station.
This is a great looking office building! Is construction going to start soon? What is the est. completion date? Thanks

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 4:55 PM
Ascension

^ If you go back one page, you'll see that the estimated completion date is 2026.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
In a theoretical world, I'd agree. In the real world, not unless things change dramatically for the better and I don't see any signs that there is political motivation to make that happen. The opposite really.

I'm a train/subway nerd so I still take it, but no longer daily. And I definitely no longer recommend that others take it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 9:10 PM

^ that really bothers me because the clogged streets & fwys of LA don't cut it....yet I read that more & more ppl, instead of using transit, now drive their own cars...or depend on uber.

I see a hint of that when I try to find parking in low income areas around dtla....you would not believe how many cars are parked bumper to bumper there....finding an open space is a big adventure....& headache. Things like buying a car, gas & insurance, etc, also cost money. But even ppl on fixed incomes are getting around that. That must be a big reason that usage of certainly buses has gone way down in LA....certain transit lines too.

Now ppl with higher incomes are less likely to use transit for the reason you list....& they were already that way even before covid hit & crime stated rising. I think the red line extending further west on wilshire will be increasingly a popular way to travel west to east in LA. but a lot of ppl don't work or live around that subway corridor.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 9:13 PM
DENNAB

If that and Beverly Hilton get built in the near future CC will look amazing

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 11:29 PM
Paramoderator

I can't believe I keep having to say this, but please refrain from personal attacks.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 12:15 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post

Are the "Guardian Angels" still around?
Still around? The founder and CEO just ran to be mayor of NYC.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Still around? The founder and CEO just ran to be mayor of NYC.
I would never have voted for him but Curtis Silwa and his 84 cats seemed like a decent person.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations