HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:35 PM

Angry Rickettsville

........Wrigleyville is going completely corporate, it's really "rickettsville" now.

All of the "honkeytonk" charm of the neighborhood is being stripped away.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:41 PM

we know

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:47 PM

the old neighborhood had honkytonk charm?

it's been a white bread post grad big ten dumping ground for decades now

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk113 View Post
........Wrigleyville is going completely corporate, it's really "rickettsville" now.

All of the "honkeytonk" charm of the neighborhood is being stripped away.
What a stupid post, why bump a thread for this non sense?

Honkeytonk charm?! What are you talking about?

The 3 big developments (love them or hate them) have replaced surface parking lots and drive thru's...take off those rose colored glasses. The neighborhood is infinitely better than it was with a drive through McDonalds with a massive parking lot and other underutilized lots.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
the old neighborhood had honkytonk charm?

it's been a white bread post grad big ten dumping ground for decades now
.........true, but it didn't necessarily LOOK that way. Now it looks like a "white bread post grad big ten dumping ground"

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
What a stupid post, why bump a thread for this non sense?

Honkeytonk charm?! What are you talking about?

The 3 big developments (love them or hate them) have replaced surface parking lots and drive thru's...take off those rose colored glasses. The neighborhood is infinitely better than it was with a drive through McDonalds with a massive parking lot and other underutilized lots.
...yes, it's getting to look just like Times Square with all of its' charm. I do agree though, losing the parkings lots didn't hurt.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ so you miss the suburban mcdonald's complete with a drive-thru, the shitty little suburban taco bell complete with a drive-thru, the ugly 7-11 with a parking lot, etc?

you can love or hate the aesthetics of the new developments, but the vast majority of what they have replaced was compete suburban garbage - fast food drive-thu's and surface parking lots galore.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ so you miss the suburban mcdonald's complete with a drive-thru, the shitty little suburban taco bell complete with a drive-thru, the ugly 7-11 with a parking lot, etc?

you can love or hate the aesthetics of the new developments, but the vast majority of what they have replaced was compete suburban garbage - fast food drive-thu's and surface parking lots galore.
...I can live without those specific items....but Rickettsville goes way beyond that......Addison St has been completely transformed ("Rickettized"), the Wrigley rooftops (what's left of them) have lost a lot of their charm, the field itself is gaudy billboards, club boxes, everything has become "cleanup, sanitary, and suburbanized"......just like Times Square

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk113 View Post
...I can live without those specific items....but Rickettsville goes way beyond that......Addison St has been completely transformed ("Rickettized"), the Wrigley rooftops (what's left of them) have lost a lot of their charm, the field itself is gaudy billboards, club boxes, everything has become "cleanup, sanitary, and suburbanized"......just like Times Square
well, i'll always take urban development over suburban garbage like drive-thru fast food restaurants and surface parking lots.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:32 PM

---so I had a long response that was boring me as I was editing, so dumping that and going with this ---

What the Ricketts are doing is really nice, generally. Is it a little too corporate, maybe, too sanitized, possibly. What is fantastic though, is how their park improvements and development projects have filled in a hole, and now East Lakeview and Boystown are more connected with the Southport Corridor.

There was always an edge town quality in the immediate vicinity of the park; no "there" there. That's gone. Wrigleyville is actually becoming a neighborhood, not just a name.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:34 PM

go to Nisei Lounge.. there are still spots

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
---so I had a long response that was boring me as I was editing, so dumping that and going with this ---

What the Ricketts are doing is really nice, generally. Is it a little too corporate, maybe, too sanitized, possibly. What is fantastic though, is how their park improvements and development projects have filled in a hole, and now East Lakeview and Boystown are more connected with the Southport Corridor.

There was always an edge town quality in the immediate vicinity of the park; no "there" there. That's gone. Wrigleyville is actually becoming a neighborhood, not just a name.
This. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ so you miss... the shitty little suburban taco bell complete with a drive-thru
When I found out that what they have in store for this site is a climbing gym I almost tossed my lunch

I'd take the Taco Bell back

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
When I found out that what they have in store for this site is a climbing gym I almost tossed my lunch

I'd take the Taco Bell back
Do you live in the neighborhood?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
Do you live in the neighborhood?
Not now. But I have spent A LOT of time there. I worked in the area for a few years and lived close enough. I also spent a lot of weekends in my youth the 80s seeing shows at the Cubby Bear and staying up late at the Smart Bar.

I lived for a while in SF on Divisadero Street. People always trashed the Popeye's Chicken there but now its the last affordable place for many workers in the area to grab a quick bite. Call me quirky but I like that kind of urban grit. Not pretty but...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:09 AM

Nostalgia is the fuel of NIMBYism and by no stretch of the imagination to be related to preservation

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Nostalgia is the fuel of NIMBYism and by no stretch of the imagination to be related to preservation
Right. I get it. But a climbing gym?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:19 AM

Who cares if they build a climbing gym? Like I don't give a shit...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:52 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Right. I get it. But a climbing gym?
At least it's not some fucking stupid-ass suburban style taco hell shit-box with a goddamn drive-thru sitting in a mother fucking parking lot in the middle of an urban neighborhood.

I'm a form guy. I don't care what they put in the new building as long as it isn't a stupid car-oriented suburban style development inappropriately shoe-horned into what should otherwise be a proper urban environment.

I won't personally ever use the climbing gym, but from an urban form perspective, the replacement building is ~8 billion times better. And form is ultimately what matters because uses come and go all the time.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 22, 2018 at 2:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 1:59 PM

My annoyance at the aesthetics of big development on the south side of Addison aside I think the built environment around the park is dramatically improved. Better restaurants, a hotel, and more commercial uses that could enliven the area year round are welcome additions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development