HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Interesting stuff from the developer:

Can Mike Reschke save the Loop?
Hope for a downtown real estate revival rests on the veteran developer's shoulders.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...n-chicago-loop
Can you please stop posting articles that folks cannot access.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp View Post
Work harder and make more money idk

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. As Northwestern physician I kinda thought I was already doing well. I guess not.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Or, and here's an idea, don't.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thereal...naissance/amp/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Most live in Indiana. I mean there's nothing better else to do out there in that wasteland so I get it.
I’m not going to pin this on just Indiana, but these people think living an hour from Chicago and watching the local news is enough for them to be experts online about the city. It’s obnoxious nonsense much of the time.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 3:23 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp View Post
Why are we unable to access the article?

Or do you mean that you're just too cheap to pay for journalism?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Why are we unable to access the article?

Or do you mean that you're just too cheap to pay for journalism?
No. He means we, yes we, are unable to access the article.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
No. He means we, yes we, are unable to access the article.
I appreciate the links even if they are not accessible to all for free. It's not some sort of powerplay to flex your crains subscription lol. It's probably the most relevant publication to this website forum.

Turns out this is actually a mid 2000s website forum and NOT a federally protected space where everything must be 100% accessible to all.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 1:43 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
we, yes we, are unable to access the article.
Please explain in what way we're "unable to access the article." What error message do you get?

Or do you mean it in the same sense that we're also "unable to access" the Sunday brunch buffet at the Peninsula Hotel?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:12 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...hompson-center

Ok, it's official, Google is buying the Thompson Center. Reschke is still going to handle the renovations.

Big news, potentially exciting.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:12 PM

Bringing Google to Chicago's Thompson Center

Quote:
In 2000, Google’s Chicago office consisted of two people in River North. Now, that presence has grown to more than 1,800 employees in Fulton Market. And today, we’re announcing we intend to buy the iconic James R. Thompson Center building in Chicago’s Loop upon future renovation, which deepens our commitment to Google’s long-term presence in the city. The cost of the existing unrenovated building is $105 million.

This will support engineering work in Chicago and helps advance the growth of Google’s partners and customers across the Midwest and nationally. It also helps us meet the future needs of our flexible hybrid workforce. By establishing a presence in Chicago’s central business district, we will be getting in on the ground floor of a broader revitalization of the Loop.

The Thompson Center will provide employees with unparalleled public transit access as the only building in the city where six L train lines converge, easily connecting Chicago’s South, West and North sides. Once renovated to a Class A environmentally friendly office building, we anticipate occupying the Thompson Center starting in 2026.
https://blog.google/inside-google/co...ompson-center/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy34 View Post
bringing google to chicago's thompson center

Wow. I guess this whole situation turned out better than expected...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

"And I, for one, welcome our new Google overlords."

But kidding aside, great news for the building, and the Loop in general.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:46 PM
1st Ward

I dig it. This is a big sign of confidence in the Loop in an era of ghost town CBDs. Hopefully a sign of more investment to come!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:47 PM

Salesforce tower on Wolf Point and now Google in the Loop. Wow things change fast!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:54 PM

great news on google.

but what happened to the other guy who was going to buy and renovate? did he just get booted?

also google is saying it cost them $100 million but I though the other guy was going to pay like $250 million? maybe that higher number included the renovation?

edit: crains is saying that guy (whatever his name is) is still going to renovate the building for google so I guess he is still involved

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:54 PM
TL;DR

I'm happy the Thompson Center will be saved, but it's intended as a piece of public architecture, not the local palace of our corporate-tech overlords. I liked the original Reschke plan because the state would move back into the building at the end, but the public spaces could be renovated more creatively.

Now Google is taking the city's grandest interior rotunda, our local PoMo outpost of the Illinois State House, and the state is moving to a buttoned-up corporate tower on LaSalle St where bureaucrats get to hide themselves away anonymously. It's the cheapening of our public space, just like the Old Post Office getting substituted with a lowrise shitbox in the 90s and eventually becoming the local palace of Uber. Or the beautiful concourse of Union Station getting torn down for an ugly office tower and turning the station into a cramped rabbit warren. We get the urbanism we deserve, I guess - it's just sad.

(fwiw, the Harris Bank complex on LaSalle is a great piece of modernism, it's just not public-spirited the way JRTC is)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Bringing Google to Chicago's Thompson Center

Really happy to see this. As others have noted, it sends a strong signal that, despite certain media outlets, downtown Chicago is not crumbling, but is on track to thrive in a post pandemic world.

The building really does seem like it's perfect for Google. Happy to see them invest into it. I wonder if this will have impact to the blocks immediately around it in terms of street level retail/restaurants, etc.

Best outcome for the building IMO.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm happy the Thompson Center will be saved, but it's intended as a piece of public architecture, not the local palace of our corporate-tech overlords. I liked the original Reschke plan because the state would move back into the building at the end, but the public spaces could be renovated more creatively.

Now Google is taking the city's grandest interior rotunda, our local PoMo outpost of the Illinois State House, and the state is moving to a buttoned-up corporate tower on LaSalle St where bureaucrats get to hide themselves away. We get the urbanism we deserve, I guess.

(fwiw, the Harris Bank complex on LaSalle is a great piece of modernism, it's just not public-spirited the way JRTC is)
While I understand this concern, one has to wonder if a public remodel option was even feasible here? It would require funding from the city, and they are already heavily distracted by other major projects.

Is it possible Google maintains a small public area for folks to enjoy? One can hope.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:58 PM
1st Ward

Anyone know if Google will be consolidating all their offices at the Thompson Center, or if they plan on keeping their Fulton Market campus? Considering their exponential growth in the city, I think they might need to retain both for the number of workers they currently have and plan on growing to.

Quote:
As part of the deal, the state will receive $30 million in cash and will get 115 S. LaSalle St. That will be renovated, and state employees will then work from there.
Source: https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/07...ompson-center/

This is an interesting tidbit. How did 115 S LaSalle get involved in this deal? Was this property owned by Google or Reschke? I assume the state will assume ownership of this building and not lease their offices in there. Either way, consolidating offices all in one location would be a good thing for the state, both from a financial as well as operations perspective.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development