HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Honestly the only thing that really bothers me about this project is the use of limestone colored metal panels over precast concrete. The original plans had concrete but it was switched in the CDR submission. As rents keep rising hopefully we’ll get better quality buildings but in my opinion this is still better than 1213 Walnut.
I'm just hoping the brick isn't precast.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I'm just hoping the brick isn't precast.
There is exactly 0% chance that brick isn't precast. lol.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 12:31 PM

^ Precast in this case being shorthand for precast "brick" panels rather a hand-laid facade of individual bricks.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 1:14 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
There is exactly 0% chance that brick isn't precast. lol.
I don't know about that. The materials key in the CDR presentation said Norman Brick Dark Gray and Norman Brick Glazed Black. Didn't specify faux brick panels. Norman is a particular size of brick — 3-5/8 x 2-1/4 x 11-5/8 inches.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 3:10 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Norman brick can be incorporated into pre-cast panels that are assembled offsite vs. laid onsite. That being said, pre-cast brick panels, if done right, can look quite nice. The key is in the gaps between the panels. If those are kept tight, pre-cast can look just as good as laid-in-place. Most of the new buildings at USC in LA are pre-cast brick panels, and they end up looking fantastic, even next to the older buildings that were laid-in-place. All comes down to the fabricator they select and how tight those panels are. I'm holding out hope!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:12 PM

Getting Spicy on Walnut: Wendy’s Making Room for Nearly 200 Apartments

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...200-apartments

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:21 PM

I want this to turn out well, but metal panels and JKRP together is a red flag to me, not gonna lie. Concrete panels would have been nice to see.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I want this to turn out well, but metal panels and JKRP together is a red flag to me, not gonna lie. Concrete panels would have been nice to see.
What’s weird is that the original packet listed concrete panels. After the redesign those were swapped with limestone colored metal panels. Time will tell I guess. Rents in the city are getting to the point where using shit materials can’t be justified on cost alone. It seems like it’s greed and developers being too shortsighted.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:09 AM

Any idea how they’ll set up the crane for this one with the Jefferson Hospital helipad literally across the (narrow) street? Seems potentially dangerous.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
[...] pre-cast brick panels, if done right, can look quite nice. The key is in the gaps between the panels. If those are kept tight, pre-cast can look just as good as laid-in-place. Most of the new buildings at USC in LA are pre-cast brick panels, and they end up looking fantastic, even next to the older buildings that were laid-in-place.
If this is true I've never seen it. Any local examples?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 12:49 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Museum of the American Revolution had precast brick walls. Looks pretty good and had to tell it was precast.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Alexander used this technique.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:05 PM

Panels jump out when I look at both of those buildings. I accept that this is something that bothers me a lot more than most people.

I doubt we'll ever see real (referring to size/application, not material) brick above the base of a tower, but the panels on the first few floors is always going to look like a developer cheaped out.

That said, the best examples of precast brick I've seen is when the gaps are thoughtfully incorporated into the design, and at the very least, centered between windows (though I can't think of an example at the moment).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Norman brick can be incorporated into pre-cast panels that are assembled offsite vs. laid onsite. That being said, pre-cast brick panels, if done right, can look quite nice. The key is in the gaps between the panels. If those are kept tight, pre-cast can look just as good as laid-in-place. Most of the new buildings at USC in LA are pre-cast brick panels, and they end up looking fantastic, even next to the older buildings that were laid-in-place. All comes down to the fabricator they select and how tight those panels are. I'm holding out hope!
If all we are talking about is the first three floors, then I hope its traditional laid in place, one at a time brick. Not that I expect that to happen, because the whole system of bidding and logistics doesn't think that way, but for 3 floors the old fashion method might actually be a less costly approach.

As long as design isn't a consideration when renting an apartment, then developers will continue to use cheap crap. But when someone takes a chance and designs and builds a higher class apartment building and it's successful, then we'll continue to see more of the same.
But from what reports seem to be saying, there hasn't been any high-rise projects built in the last 10 years or so that hasn't been rented up in a reasonable time frame. So if you were a developer, would you willingly spend an extra 15% hoping it would pay off, or just stick with the same old, same old method of making bank?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:00 PM

Quote:
10 Rittenhouse is another example and in that case, a less well executed one IMO.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:23 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Yes, was going to use 10 Rittenhouse as a local example, but to my earlier point, 10 Rittenhouse suffers a bit from wider seams between the pre-cast panels. The panels themselves look just fine - it's the detailing between them that gives it away. Still, once you back a way a bit the building looks just fine.

But agreed that the ideal scenario would be laid-in-place brick for those first few levels, as the cost to do so wouldn't be so astronomical.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:07 PM

218 arch is pre-cast and it looks like ass.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
218 arch is pre-cast and it looks like ass.
I wouldn't say the whole building looks like ass, but those vertical lines totally do.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:52 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Ten Rittenhouse is one that comes to mind.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 6:25 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals