HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/exp...VgTo0sIzO3FmGU

Boutique hotel with some retail/bars opening Labor Day weekend at 4th Ave and Camelback. It’s neighbors with the Newton (Changing Hands, etc). Despite the lack of tourism at this time, I imagine they might throw some local deals around, looks pretty nifty.
"Uptown's only boutique hotel"? Do they... not know about The Clarendon?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I was thinking the same thing but shhh...no one can know about my “secret“ rooftop hangout spot.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 2:35 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Clarendon is midtown. Midtown hasn't been uptown for a while. I think they settled that when they opened the light rail.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 2:44 AM
self-important urbanista

I usually think of the Grand Canal as the boundary between Midtown and Uptown. The Clarendon Hotel is south of the canal, and this new hotel is north of it.

In other news, it's a sad state of affairs when a new hotel has to tout itself as "social-distancing-friendly." Not that I blame them, but what an awful thing to be proud of.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:56 AM

Quote:
https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/exp...VgTo0sIzO3FmGU

Boutique hotel with some retail/bars opening Labor Day weekend at 4th Ave and Camelback. It’s neighbors with the Newton (Changing Hands, etc). Despite the lack of tourism at this time, I imagine they might throw some local deals around, looks pretty nifty.
Nice! this was supposed to open in the spring, glad to see it will open soon.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I usually think of the Grand Canal as the boundary between Midtown and Uptown. The Clarendon Hotel is south of the canal, and this new hotel is north of it.

In other news, it's a sad state of affairs when a new hotel has to tout itself as "social-distancing-friendly." Not that I blame them, but what an awful thing to be proud of.
Uptown begins at Camelback

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:08 AM

I guess I'm out of touch. I appreciate the corrections.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:47 AM

This entire page is a lesson on how to be pedantic.

Going back a bit someone mentioned they stayed at that hotel in the 70s and it jogged my memory a bit. I was still a peanut but I think I remember before it was offices now that you mention it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 6:27 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

Going back a bit someone mentioned they stayed at that hotel in the 70s and it jogged my memory a bit. I was still a peanut but I think I remember before it was offices now that you mention it.
I don't believe this is a lesson in pedantry, I think this is how neighborhoods evolve and mature and gain notoriety while shedding obsoleteness. I mapped Midtown and Uptown as-is in 2006 accordant with exit2lef's observations.

I will never forget the time in 2004 or so when I reconnected a lost ipod to a North Scottsdale friend who thought his Arcadia friend was "downtown."

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:

I disagreek just look at how "arcadia" has changed it used to be Camelback, 24th street 68th street and the Canal, Now it stretches almost to Thomas.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:07 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I disagreek just look at how "arcadia" has changed it used to be Camelback, 24th street 68th street and the Canal, Now it stretches almost to Thomas.
Yea and it's pretty lame to consider adjacent areas part of Arcadia, especially down to Thomas. It's partly because of people that live in those neighborhoods are trying to make themselves part of something they are not in an attempt to raise their home values. I lived in the Thomas are for a few years and I would never have considered it as part of Arcadia.

To me, Arcadia means the expensive area of homes adjacent to Camelback Mountain down to about Indian School. I cut it off from there as houses can get pretty mundane and there are even somewhat crummy apartments from that point South.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:18 PM

I live in "Arcadia Light", as we call it,near 46th St and Thomas.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Yea and it's pretty lame to consider adjacent areas part of Arcadia, especially down to Thomas. It's partly because of people that live in those neighborhoods are trying to make themselves part of something they are not in an attempt to raise their home values. I lived in the Thomas are for a few years and I would never have considered it as part of Arcadia.
You're generally right about 'arcadia light'. There are a few pretty nice pockets south of the canal, though.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:50 PM

Thats my point its not stagnant, 10 years ago mostly everything south of Indian school was crack-town, now that border has been pushed with gentrification down close to Thomas.

People used Arcadia light, but now people refer to the entire area north of Osborn more or less as "Arcadia"

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:58 PM

Depending on which real estate brokerage you talk to you might find the boundaries of Arcadia (as well as the realtor coined "arcadia lite") drastically different. Biltmore too.

I'm waiting for the birth of BiltCadia Uptown Mid-lite, personally.

This whole thing is marketing. They can call whatever neighborhood whatever boundary they like and I don't understand why I or anyone else should care. What's interesting is if you go to google maps and click on any text with a neighborhood name - "ARCADIA" - it will draw a line around what it thinks is the boundary. Maybe if everyone can agree that their arbitrary boundary map is the most reliable we won't have to bicker about what's what.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why I or anyone else should care.
It's just so someone can say they 'live in arcadia'. lol!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Not sure how a three story building with a rooftop bar is a "tower". I stayed in the hotel in the mid 70s a couple of times while in town on business. Looks like it will be a bit more upscale than it was.

Quote:

pbenjamin must be remembering the now closed hotel immediately to the west of the new Arrive Hotel. It was a Days Inn for many years before changing hands and names a few times, lastly known as Hotel 502. It is due to begin demolition this month, to make way for a massive apartment complex.

The two buildings that compose Arrive Hotel were both office 'towers' at 444 and 400 W Camelback, built in the late 50's I believe. As part of the conversion into a hotel, both buildings were placed on the Phoenix historic property register, and a lot of work went into restoring original features of the buildings, while making careful modern additions on the back sides. What was once the parking lot of building 400 is now a resort pool with a bar and restaurant, along with a Cartel coffee shop at the corner of the property, right at the sidewalk on Camelback. Building 444 houses a rooftop bar with impressive views of north Phoenix and the mountain preserves. I was able to tour the property mid-construction just as the new structures were first going up and the buildings had been stripped down for restoration. They've spared no expense on this place, it's really great to see it all come together. Definitely a big win for Uptown Phoenix and the light rail line.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robot View Post
pbenjamin must be remembering the now closed hotel immediately to the west of the new Arrive Hotel. It was a Days Inn for many years before changing hands and names a few times, lastly known as Hotel 502. It is due to begin demolition this month, to make way for a massive apartment complex.

The two buildings that compose Arrive Hotel were both office 'towers' at 444 and 400 W Camelback, built in the late 50's I believe. As part of the conversion into a hotel, both buildings were placed on the Phoenix historic property register, and a lot of work went into restoring original features of the buildings, while making careful modern additions on the back sides. What was once the parking lot of building 400 is now a resort pool with a bar and restaurant, along with a Cartel coffee shop at the corner of the property, right at the sidewalk on Camelback. Building 444 houses a rooftop bar with impressive views of north Phoenix and the mountain preserves. I was able to tour the property mid-construction just as the new structures were first going up and the buildings had been stripped down for restoration. They've spared no expense on this place, it's really great to see it all come together. Definitely a big win for Uptown Phoenix and the light rail line.
Correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8v8wUYJvFY

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robot View Post

That sounds fantastic Red Robot! Question, looking at the renderings, is the Cartel coffee inward facing or will there be entrances/windows on Camelback?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
That sounds fantastic Red Robot! Question, looking at the renderings, is the Cartel coffee inward facing or will there be entrances/windows on Camelback?
A little bit of both. Ultimately the coffee shop entrance faces inward, but there are floor to ceiling windows facing the sidewalk on Camelback with decorative screening, and there was mention, at least previously, of there being a public pathway to the coffee shop from the sidewalk. Some renderings show a door facing Camelback with a cafe table on the patio, but I haven't seen that door in the final build. The Newton building (formerly Beefeaters) with Changing Hands Bookstore, First Draft Book Bar, and Southern Rail is immediately adjacent to the east, reaching to the corner of 3rd Ave & Camelback. As far as I can tell, this new coffee shop is meant to serve both the hotel and the neighborhood, but the hotel seems to be the primary focus. It's going to be operated independently by Cartel.

Last edited by Red Robot; Aug 7, 2020 at 12:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest