HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: Which project stands head and shoulders above the others?
Norfolk Southern Headquarters block 9 26.47%
12th & Midtown's 1105 W. Peachtree 14 41.18%
Midtown Union's 17th Street block 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:23 AM

The Midtown Trio

Which of the 3 mega projects under construction in Midtown has your vote for making the biggest splash on the Midtown skyline (from the air and at street level).

Midtown currently has 3 developments underway - each on a single block - that consists of 3 different types of development, ranging from office buildings, hotels, student housing, apartments and condos.

The Norfolk Southern project on the southern edge of the district; the 1105 12th and Midtown project in the middle; and the Midtown Union project on the northern edge.

This one has me stumped.

Last edited by ATLMidcity; Sep 29, 2020 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:38 AM

I think all 3 will collectively make equal, but different impacts. I'm leaning towards Midtown Union, but we'll just have to see. Phase 2 on the other side of Spring will solidify northern Midtown. The Portman project around Patterson-Spring Hill will have to join the conversation as well shortly.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:46 PM

Loving the slow creep of Midtown to the South. I really think NS will be a catalyst for development in SONO and the immediately surrounding area. The North Ave MARTA proposal from Portman, the consolidation of Emory lots, the inevitable redevelopment of The Varsity all bode well for that area whether or not a cap or stitch ever comes to fruition.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:48 PM

Even though it is my least favorite aesthetically, I think Midtown Union is going to have the greatest impact on the Skyline simply due to its location. It’s going to be very visible from the southbound connector and a lot of the classic southward skyline vantage points – at least for the near term. I love the 1105 office building design, but it’s only going to stand out from a few select angles. That said, the whole 1105 development really emphasizes the already considerable “mass” in that area.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:35 AM

I chose Midtown Union because the Arts Center MARTA station needs some love, and this project has the potential to jump start the two high rise residential towers proposed - one at Peachtree & 17th, and the other at W. Peachtree and 15th.

Also, the second phase of Midtown Union will probably be a more unique design and create a visual (and physical) bridge to Atlantic Station.

Now if Dewberry would just demo one building anywhere in Midtown and not stall out like a hurricane over the Gulf, I'd celebrate.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta