HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: Where should Atlanta's GRAMMY Museum be built?
North Fulton - near entertainment venues 1 1.61%
South Fulton - near GA Intl Convention Center 0 0%
Buckhead - near History Museum 0 0%
Midtown - near the High Museum 14 22.58%
Downtown - near Centennial Park 46 74.19%
Other 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 3:47 AM

Atlanta's GRAMMY Museum

Where should Atlanta's GRAMMY Museum be built?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 12:10 PM

Definitely DT around all the other attractions at Centennial Park...No brainer..

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 1:57 PM

The Gulch

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 2:40 PM

Downtown near CP.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 4:20 PM

Article from 2019 about Grammy Museum

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...outputType=amp

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:22 AM

Ya'll might think I'm crazy but this site on the Westside would be awesome.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Ya'll might think I'm crazy but this site on the Westside would be awesome.
I actually prefer to keep the Westside Cultural Arts Center where it is. It's a good venue.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 7:27 PM

It looks like there is still some open space on the North East corner of the attractions block north of Centennial Park - is that area available for future development such as this, or is the intent to leave it clear to preserve the viability of the other museums?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiffTheFox View Post
It looks like there is still some open space on the North East corner of the attractions block north of Centennial Park - is that area available for future development such as this, or is the intent to leave it clear to preserve the viability of the other museums?
I saw a rendering years ago that might have been either an early design for the NCCHR or perhaps a conceptual rendering of an expanded museum. Either way it had another wing that extended east into that open space you're talking about. Who knows if that will ever happen, though.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:30 AM

duplicate

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:31 AM

That rendering was for their longterm vision. It was designed by Philip Freelon's co. who designed the Nat Museum of African Amer History in DC. I love the original plan.
I like the idea of the Grammy there; I think it would take outstanding architecture to work well.

https://saportareport.com/center-for...-on-the-march/ (the rendering is towards the end of this article).

Last edited by AtlHeel; Sep 3, 2020 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlHeel View Post
That rendering was for their longterm vision. It was designed by Philip Freelon's co. who designed the Nat Museum of African Amer History in DC. I love the original plan.
I like the idea of the Grammy there; I think it would take outstanding architecture to work well.

https://saportareport.com/center-for...-on-the-march/ (the rendering is towards the end of this article).
Including the image for the lazy

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 6:46 PM

Even with the expansion of the NCCHR there is still room for another building if it were more elongated and right up against centennial olympic park drive

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 9:36 AM

I would like to see it built across from COP on the surface parking lot between Harris and Andrew Young Intl.
It could be built facing COP drive, while the back half of the block could be used for a mixed use building on top of a parking deck, which would elevate the (commercial, residential uses above the Portman super blocks that surround the block}.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
I would like to see it built across from COP on the surface parking lot between Harris and Andrew Young Intl.
It could be built facing COP drive, while the back half of the block could be used for a mixed use building on top of a parking deck, which would elevate the (commercial, residential uses above the Portman super blocks that surround the block}.
That would be very nice. I think that was the site for the potential new public library, before they decided to renovate the Breuer building.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 12:03 AM

I lived by Centennial Park for 15 years and pray it DOESN'T go there. The last thing Downtown needs is another tourist destination. The only way I could support this is if it was on the ground floor of a residential tower. Single-use districts are ALWAYS bad ideas.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 10:48 AM

How about the Westside, close to where Northside crosses Marietta Street? But in general I don't support the idea of a clone museum, another wannabe tourist trap in Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
I lived by Centennial Park for 15 years and pray it DOESN'T go there. The last thing Downtown needs is another tourist destination. The only way I could support this is if it was on the ground floor of a residential tower. Single-use districts are ALWAYS bad ideas.
How is downtown a single-use district? It's the opposite - office, residential, hotels, museums, sports, conference center, entertainment, University, retail, government/municipal, etc all within blocks of Centennial park. Downtown is the most mixed-use neighborhood in the state of Georgia, and I don't see how putting in another museum would be an issue.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
The Gulch
100% agree. Would be a great addition to Centennial Yards.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
How is downtown a single-use district? It's the opposite - office, residential, hotels, museums, sports, conference center, entertainment, University, retail, government/municipal, etc all within blocks of Centennial park. Downtown is the most mixed-use neighborhood in the state of Georgia, and I don't see how putting in another museum would be an issue.
The COP area is heavily weighted towards local, regional, and area tourism. If you can't see that, I don't believe we see cities the same way. I lived next to the park 15 years and have seen powers-that-be move away from the vision of Downtown being a true mixed-use urban neighborhood to Downtown being just a series of attractions/destinations. If you go there now that everything is closed or in very limited capacity, it's a ghost town, much worse than I've seen in since the early 90s. The few thousand residents living there are feeling it.

Bottom line, housing and quality of life for locals is the key first and foremost. This said, I'd be cool with putting it in the Gulch - that's going to be a true urban district, but we really need 24/7 365 active uses around Centennial Park.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta