HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 5:34 AM

Buckhead is getting dense! I just wish the Lenox MARTA station and Buckhead MARTA stations were in better locations. It would have been perfect if the Buckhead MARTA station was right underneath Buckhead square, bc then Buckhead square could literally be Atlanta's own version of Times' Square, which is what it is starting to look like with all the huge skyscrapers and advertisements being built around it. Perhaps if they built more apartments in and around Lenox Mall more people could utilize the Lenox station. IIRC there is a big apartment building being built on the back of the Lenox lot near the station ...

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 2:17 PM

Buckhead Village is definitely one of the few places in the city that would be better off with a subway station than with light rail. The issue would be, after Buckhead Village, is there an obvious direction the line could go? South along Peachtree, west towards Cobb, north along Roswell Rd?

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Buckhead Village is definitely one of the few places in the city that would be better off with a subway station than with light rail. The issue would be, after Buckhead Village, is there an obvious direction the line could go? South along Peachtree, west towards Cobb, north along Roswell Rd?
The reason there is not a subway there is bc you would have to cut and cover not only along Peachtree, but probably through some single-family home neighborhoods to reconnect to the Lenox Mall --> Oglethorpe -> Chamblee line and the Buckhead --> North Springs Line. I wonder if this could have been better than going through Lindbergh? They might have chosen Lindbergh bc they got to go through the Armour Yard and build that railyard off Piedmont for servicing their trains. It might have also been cheaper.

Here's is a drawing I did of what that might look like:

You would need to cut and cover through neighborhood & probably blast the bedrock along Peachtree Road. Would cost a ton of $$$, and piss of the neighbors. To be fair, that is exactly what they did when they built GA-400. They cut right through that neighborhood. Funny enough, the neighborhood supported this bc it would cut them off from Lenox Road, and cars used to cut through their neighborhood to get to Peachtree Rd and Piedmont.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 12:32 AM

Camden Buckhead

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 10, 2021 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 9:42 PM

The Camden project turned out really nice. I love the exterior materials used.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 6:33 PM

99 West Paces Ferry progress

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 4:08 PM

There was a study back in the late sixties that look at putting the MARTA line under Peachtree with a stop at Buckhead Village and then continuing to Lenox and up to Doraville (I think I remember seeing it in the Georgia Tech or GSU library). However, if I recall the conclusions correctly, it was rejected back then in favor of Lindbergh since Lindbergh alignment would be less expensive and less disruptive since it paralleled the railroad.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7348b View Post
There was a study back in the late sixties that look at putting the MARTA line under Peachtree with a stop at Buckhead Village and then continuing to Lenox and up to Doraville (I think I remember seeing it in the Georgia Tech or GSU library). However, if I recall the conclusions correctly, it was rejected back then in favor of Lindbergh since Lindbergh alignment would be less expensive and less disruptive since it paralleled the railroad.
If it got considered way back then, it seems like an obvious path towards future expansion. I like the illustration enthurzan did, with the gold line continuing across GA 400 and going south under Peachtree. Maybe from there it could rejoin the line at the stub just north of arts center.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:34 AM

Heartis Buckhead

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Not Buckhead Village.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
If it got considered way back then, it seems like an obvious path towards future expansion. I like the illustration enthurzan did, with the gold line continuing across GA 400 and going south under Peachtree. Maybe from there it could rejoin the line at the stub just north of arts center.
I was a young teenager when we voted on the MARTA tax. It was pretty clear that there was a consolidated effort to prevent the rail from running up peachtree from midtown into buckhead village. They weren't going to support the referendum if it did so. (edit- in retrospect, the route they chose was probably less expensive so they had a valid financial reason to oppose it).

Last edited by AtlHeel; Jun 27, 2021 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserbuckhead View Post
Not Buckhead Village.

Of course. But this has evolved into the general Buckhead thread and only a Moderator can change the title.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 12:57 AM

Developer plans 'absolutely iconic' Buckhead project

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...tree-road.html
Quote:
An Atlanta developer plans to build a 19-story office tower on one of the last pieces of prime Buckhead real estate — a property owned by a more than 60-year-old church.

Greenstone Properties is under contract to buy about 2 acres at the corner of Peachtree and Wieuca roads where it plans to build the more than 500,000-square-foot tower. The site is owned by Church at Wieuca, known for years as Wieuca Road Baptist Church. The new tower is being designed by architect Jon Pickard of global architecture firm Pickard Chilton.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 2:29 PM
i ain't no bubba

Given the parties involved, I'm looking forward to see the design. One of the last times we were promised an 'iconic design', we ended up with this:

Max Blau on Twitter

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
Given the parties involved, I'm looking forward to see the design. One of the last times we were promised an 'iconic design', we ended up with this:

Max Blau on Twitter
Lol my thoughts exactly. Corey chimney and NCR tower were both promised to be iconic. NCR looks great and got a lot closer, but I don’t get my hopes up anytime an Atlanta developer promises “iconic.”

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 3:48 PM

Hmmm,

"a 19-story office tower on one of the last pieces of prime Buckhead real estate" seems like a waste to me.

If this is one of the "Last pieces of prime Buckhead real estate" then I would be looking for the development of something on par with the Sovereign tower, which is truly an "Iconic" tower in almost every since of the word - in height & design.

I agree that recently we have heard the use of "iconic" design descriptions before and the end result was almost always mediocre design.

We have either been getting good designs that have been "botched" during the process (1105) or less than spectacular results from designs that looked good on paper, but turned out to be disappointing in actuality.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Hmmm,

"a 19-story office tower on one of the last pieces of prime Buckhead real estate" seems like a waste to me.

If this is one of the "Last pieces of prime Buckhead real estate" then I would be looking for the development of something on par with the Sovereign tower, which is truly an "Iconic" tower in almost every since of the word - in height & design.

I agree that recently we have heard the use of "iconic" design descriptions before and the end result was almost always mediocre design.

We have either been getting good designs that have been "botched" during the process (1105) or less than spectacular results from designs that looked good on paper, but turned out to be disappointing in actuality.
It is 19 stories above 7 parking levels.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 7:08 PM

Thanks - I do remember reading something about the added parking.

I know I sound like an entitled spoiled brat, given all that we have gained in the last 10 years, but dang, I just think Atlanta deserves a little something special and it would be nice to see something different going up in Buckhead.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 1:20 AM

The comment about this being the last prime development site in buckhead is a joke. What about the parking lots at Phipps, Lenox mall, along peach tree between the village and Piedmont, or all the various spots in between?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 9:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Thanks - I do remember reading something about the added parking.

I know I sound like an entitled spoiled brat, given all that we have gained in the last 10 years, but dang, I just think Atlanta deserves a little something special and it would be nice to see something different going up in Buckhead.
The Pinnacle building in Buckhead is very iconic. The same architect that designed the Pinnacle building is the architect for this development. Additionally, the Pinnacle building has 22 stories and this new development will be 26 stories.

The Pinnacle is a 22-story skyscraper in the Buckhead district of Atlanta. Built at the corner of Lenox and Peachtree Roads, construction was finished in 1998. Wikipedia
Height: 377′
Opened: 1998
Floors: 22
Architect: Jon Pickard

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta