HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 12:11 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

So if I'm reading that or interpreting the material, looks like this will be an addition. So no demo of that nice structure (meaning razing "the whole thing"), mostly just interior demo with an addition to the existing high rise.

Similar to 111 W 57th.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 12:14 AM

I'm pretty sure the Salisbury Hotel/Calvary Church is being demolished. The whole structure is being emptied.

I would have preferred a supertall residential, but oh well. Can't get supertalls on every Billionaire's Row site.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 12:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That is unfortunate. I would love to see an addition.

IDK, maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I would of thought it being emptied to double the floor height or interior modifications + addition. Ughghg unfortunate if the whole things is being demolished. Its kind of nice the existing structure.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:58 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Calvary Baptist Church will separately own its 180-foot-high base portion of the building, which will double its current space and include a new auditorium and facilities for community and educational use.
I think you guys are wrong. The last paragraph of the article clearly says the church will still own the 180 foot tall Calvary building. What are the odds the new building would have a "base" nearly exactly the height of Calvary? Emporis says 190' but thats likely to the top of those decorative finials. My guess is the Salisbury building will come down, and a glassy tower with entrance on that site will rise up and back and over the Calvary Church building. I'm betting the church building is getting a total gut and structural modifications including new load points down to the foundation for the new office building above.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Here's a little more info. I think it's gone...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:46 AM
Show me the blueprints

Well that is astonishingly shitty.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:41 AM
BANNED

I agree. I expected something way better than this from FXFowle. They're usually pretty good. This is lame per se.

I had hoped for a limestone tower with lots of setbacks. This presumably glass pos is lame.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Jun 21, 2021 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 1:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I agree. I expected something way better than this from FXFowle. They're usually pretty good. This is lame per se.

I had hoped for a limestone tower with lots of setbacks. This presumably glass pos is lame.
It’s an office tower. No reason to think it wouldn’t be glass.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It’s an office tower. No reason to think it wouldn’t be glass.
The new office building on Broadway near 30th Street isn’t glass. I had hoped that this wouldn’t be. This building is very lame considering the upscale location.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:19 PM

Yah that blows, especially considering what is coming down for it. If this were an empty lot or currently occupied by some ugly low-rise it would be much easier to stomach.

IMO the only worthy replacement for what is being torn down would have been a starchitect supertall.

How much do you want to bet this thing is set back from the streetwall too

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down

It doesn't necessarily take a visionary to imagine the potential of a preserved Calvary Church building facade, a complete structural gut inside and fitting out a modern historically complimentary office building above and aside. I cannot express how disappointing it is to find that their solution instead is to pulverize that beautiful building. Nauseating really.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:59 PM

They have the right to build what they want but it's still a POS, totally disheartening compared to what they could have done here. If they want to be a "meh" project, far too underwhelming and mediocre for the location, then they have succeeded wonderfully. No inspiration at all... was the church so hard up for funds they'd take ANYTHING?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:19 PM

A reminder of the importance of the landmarks law in a market like manhattan's- if it isn't landmarked you can assume one day it may be liquidated for development.

This building does give this block a lot of its weight, the character of it will really change one this one is gone.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:33 PM

agreed, a broody prewar with handsome turrets smack dab in the middle of the street. This will be missed.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:42 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think this is underwhelming. Just given the location. This is more suited (dimensions) for the West side.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
The new office building on Broadway near 30th Street isn’t glass. I had hoped that this wouldn’t be. This building is very lame considering the upscale location.
Sorry, but that would be naive thinking.

https://commercialobserver.com/2021/...t-57th-street/

Alchemy-ABR, Cain Land $250M in Debt on Billionaire’s Row Office Project
The loan is part of a $330 million capitalization that will see a new spec office property rise at 125 West 57th Street in Midtown Manhattan

BY MACK BURKE
JUNE 23, 2021

Quote:
If you need any sign that confidence in New York’s future is on the up, look no further than the $330 million capitalization of a planned spec office development at 125 West 57th Street in Midtown Manhattan that just recently closed.

A joint venture partnership between Alchemy-ABR Investment Partners and Cain International got $250 million in debt as part of a $330 million capitalization that will see the existing structure at 125 West 57th demolished and replaced with a 26-story, roughly 260,000-square-foot spec office tower, according to JLL, which arranged the debt. The senior mortgage closed on June 15.
Quote:
The joint venture development group had a senior construction lender lined up in late March 2020 and was ready to hit the ground running with the development before that lender abruptly pulled out due to COVID-19, according to recent commentary from Alchemy-ABR Managing Partner Brian Ray that was reported by the New York Post.

It was an affiliate of Cain International, Security Benefit Life Insurance Co., that came through at this stage to provide the senior construction debt to get the $350 million project underway. The broader deal included Alchemy-ABR and Cain purchasing all but the base of the building from Calvary Baptist Church for $120 million. The joint venture is now set to move forward with the development, which was designed by FXCollaborative and will include about 185,000 square feet of attractive office space.
Quote:
Life companies were attracted to the asset due the business plan and the how and where the office will be positioned once it’s completed.

“Once it’s built it’s going to be a core asset, and life companies like to be in A-plus, core assets,” he said.

Calvary Baptist Church had once wholly owned the building, as well as the neighboring Salisbury Hotel at 123 West 57th Street, and has occupied the property for its ministry since the late 1800s. Calvary will retain ownership of, and occupy, the current space at the base of the property, which is in line to be redesigned, expanded and modernized as part of the redevelopment.
Quote:
Alchemy-ABR and Cain had ironed out plans with the church for the building a few years ago, prior to the onset of the pandemic. Alchemy-ABR principal Ken Horn told the New York Post that they were able to quickly get on board with the development, due to their history working with other religious institutions. FXCollaborative had introduced the church to Alchemy-ABR a number of years ago, while Calvary was exploring ways in which to approach much-needed renovations to its facilities.

Above the church, Alchemy-ABR and Cain are planning to build out large floor plates, averaging 10,000 square feet, with ceilings heights that will reach 14 feet. One full floor will house amenities, including a lounge, meeting spaces, a board room and about 4,000 square feet of outdoor common area. Some floors will also sport private terraces and, given the location, more than 90 percent of the office space will provide for north-facing views of Central Park.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:51 PM

It’s really a massive shame that they aren’t planning on saving Atleast a portion of the originally building but I’ll wait to see actual renderings before making a judgement.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:53 PM

If this isn't as handsome as the new Trinity Court building or the new ABC headquarters i'll be severely disappointed.

baronsonphoto-20210404-005.jpg by Brian Aronson, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
It’s really a massive shame that they aren’t planning on saving Atleast a portion of the originally building but I’ll wait to see actual renderings before making a judgement.
Some of that may have to do with what the church wants.

Quote:
Alchemy-ABR principal Ken Horn told the New York Post that they were able to quickly get on board with the development, due to their history working with other religious institutions. FXCollaborative had introduced the church to Alchemy-ABR a number of years ago, while Calvary was exploring ways in which to approach much-needed renovations to its facilities.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 1:31 AM

This just sucks.

What an amazing piece of architecture and history we are losing.

New York loves its developers more than itself. And the developers treat New York like a two-bit hooker.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction