HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:25 AM
Community Guy

Marmot was amazing the other day and had a lot of beginners kicking around... seems to mirror the trend of outdoor sports here in Edmonton and beyond.

I really hope that we see more Edmontonians embracing winter in all its glory and get up to Jasper et al. more often.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:19 PM

^I miss that view!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:29 PM
Derp

Same!
Haven't been up to Marmot for 10+ years, may be time to make the trip again. That view brings back good memories

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:12 PM
A Better Place

Apparently Marmot's parking lot was completely full a few times this winter for the first time ever. Now, if only there was a way to travel most of the way without requiring your own vehicle (increased VIA frequency, hint!).

Does the ski bus still run btw?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:39 PM
Community Guy

No ski bus from town right now, hence the packed lot...

I have taken VIA up there both with the old 'SnowTrain' and the Canadian and it is well worth the effort if you can swing the timing.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:31 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 8:19 PM
Community Guy

Nice to see people enjoying the ice.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:48 PM

While cycling the valley this weekend, we discussed winter cities. The thought occurred to us that with most people staying home this year that they are discovering how great this city is in the winter. I was shocked by how full all the parks were this weekend. Our group cycled on the Whitemud from the river to 23ave. then over to Terwilliger. The number of people walking or riding on the creek was quite remarkable. (Whitemud and Black Mud are no ride zones in the summer but cyclists use the creek itself in the winter, I've been using it since the late 80s).

Up in St Albert on Sunday on the Sturgeon river. again huge numbers of people enjoying the sun and it didn't get above -16. Sturgeon County along with StanSki made use of the wet lands to lay more tracks.

Lois Hole Park Parking lot was full.

And if you have not been, do get down to Whitemud and hike up the creek. Start at Snow valley and head to 23 ave. Its hard to believe this is in the heart of 1.2 million people.
[IMG]2021-02-01_09-58-06 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-02-01_09-58-48 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-02-01_09-59-07 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-02-01_09-59-20 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-02-01_09-59-37 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-02-01_10-00-14 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-02-01_10-00-50 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Airboy; Feb 1, 2021 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 5:28 PM
Community Guy

Yesterday at Victoria Park

10am - 5 cars for xski
11am - 30 cars

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 3:54 PM
Community Guy

Who has been to our newest tube park?

https://www.edmontonskiclub.com/tubing

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:21 PM
Community Guy

Polar Patio Club at the Cask tonight!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:07 PM
Community Guy

City opening outdoor rinks for the season
December 3, 2021

Winter skating season has arrived.

The City of Edmonton opened outdoor rinks in Victoria Park and The Meadows Community Recreation Centre with more to open in the coming weeks so friends and families can spend time together outdoors this winter.

With rinks now open for the season, we remind everyone that some public health measures will be in place when you visit.

The Government of Alberta’s public health measures will be in place inside pavilions and washrooms. Their capacities are limited to 30 per cent of fire code. Masking and two metres physical distancing will be required at all times while inside these buildings.

Outdoor skate change areas will be available again this year. Visitors to outdoor skating surfaces are asked to come ready to skate, leave personal belongings at home and bring a mask to wear indoors.

While there are no capacity restrictions on ice surfaces, the provincial public health measures still require everyone to maintain two-metre physical distancing.

The following rinks are scheduled to open in the coming weeks depending on weather conditions:

Victoria Park Skating oval: Open
Victoria Park Iceway: Opens Saturday, December 4
The rink near Shelter 2 in William Hawrelak Park: Opens Saturday, December 4
Outdoor skating area at The Meadows Community Recreation Centre: Open
Jackie Parker Park rink: Monday, December 20
Castle Downs Park rink: Monday, December 20
Rundle Park outdoor rinks/Iceway: Mid-December
City Hall Plaza skating rink: Mid-December
William Hawrelak Park lake: Late December to early January

Please note, these are tentative opening dates. More information on when outdoor rinks and skating surfaces will reopen is available at edmonton.ca. You can also sign up to receive notifications as rinks open for the winter. More information on COVID-19 public health measures is available at edmonton.ca/COVID19.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/skating
edmonton.ca/COVID19

Media contact:
Christopher Webster
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-868-0103

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:38 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 4:43 PM
Community Guy

Celebrate our winter city with Winterscapes!
January 10, 2022

The City of Edmonton’s Winterscapes photo contest is back to recognize Edmontonians who beautify their neighbourhoods and build community spirit. Even while covered in snow, a yard or an outdoor space can be a wonderful canvas to create beautiful scenes to add colour and joy to your area and for your neighbours to safely enjoy.

A winterscape can include snow, ice, lights, ornaments and winter-themed scenery and can be built in a front yard or in a public space. Participate by nominating an outdoor space that brings you joy, including your own, at edmonton.ca/winterscapes in one of three categories: Winter Art, Winter Garden or Winter Play.

Nominations are accepted until February 28. All submitted photos will be posted on the City of Edmonton’s Facebook page for public voting. Weekly prizes will be awarded to the top three yards in each category, and a special award will be given to the Winterscapes judging panel’s favourite front yard.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/winterscapes

Media contact:
Sonja Martens
Marketing Coordinator
Communications and Engagement

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:56 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 3:48 PM
Change is good

This thread seems to focus on just celebrating Winter.

How about some real initiatives which make this city more easy to deal with in the winter.

Our road clearing strategy is clearly failing again, the windrows are causing nightmares for sidewalks and anyone with mobilty issues are stuck inside there homes. The windrows are either on the sidewalk or melt and pool on the sidewalks blocking drains.

This city used to build neighbourhoods with the sidewalks 2-4 feet back from the curb of the road. These make much better places to pile the snow.

The reality of this city being car first is never more obvious than in winter, as it seems acceptable to cover sidewalks with windrows forcing people to walk to on the road

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post

This city used to build neighbourhoods with the sidewalks 2-4 feet back from the curb of the road. These make much better places to pile the snow.

The reality of this city being car first is never more obvious than in winter, as it seems acceptable to cover sidewalks with windrows forcing people to walk to on the road
while i agree with the overall sentiment, i disagree with this recommendation. setting the sidewalks back worked when storm drainage was piped from your eaves to the sewer. current design standards see that water flow on the surface to the street. those snow piles between the sidewalk and the street then collect that water and allow it to freeze deep enough and smooth enough to meet skating rink standards. the only solution regardless of where the sidewalk is is to remove the windrows, otherwise you’re just moving the same problem from one place to another.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 5:31 PM
Change is good

^ if that's the case, a local place to haul and store the snow

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 2:51 PM
Community Guy

Government of Canada funds new net-zero River Valley Outdoor Activity Centre in Edmonton

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Infrastructure Canada
Aug 02, 2022, 14:05 ET
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

EDMONTON, AB, Aug. 2, 2022 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Tourism and Associate Minister of Finance and Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre, on behalf of the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities, announced over $6.6 million in federal funding for the River Valley Outdoor Activity Centre.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 7:23 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Government of Canada funds new net-zero River Valley Outdoor Activity Centre in Edmonton

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Infrastructure Canada
Aug 02, 2022, 14:05 ET
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

EDMONTON, AB, Aug. 2, 2022 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Tourism and Associate Minister of Finance and Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre, on behalf of the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities, announced over $6.6 million in federal funding for the River Valley Outdoor Activity Centre.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...eid=b81cde227f
Great to see! We need more of these developments in the river valley - it should not be sacrosanct to any and all forms of buildings, especially when they are intended to support activities in the river valley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton