HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 6:58 PM
Community Guy

Hanger 11

Page 83 onwards

[URL unfurl="true"]https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=78290[/URL]

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 7:34 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 7:37 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:19 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:26 PM

I love that shot of the roundabout in the middle of Blatchford with the old control tower in the background. Looks very promising!

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:57 PM

That does look good......

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 8:16 PM

Does anyone know how residents pay their utility bills? For example, is it a flat fee into the district energy system or is there still a pay-per-use system and if so, what is the typical utility bill amount at Blatchford?

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Does anyone know how residents pay their utility bills? For example, is it a flat fee into the district energy system or is there still a pay-per-use system and if so, what is the typical utility bill amount at Blatchford?
it's a combination of both...

https://blatchfordutility.ca/account-billing/

you will pay a flat per day ($1.43) plus 2.48 cents per kwhour. you can compare that to the current regulated rates here:

https://ucahelps.alberta.ca/regulated-rates.aspx

fixed contract rates are available here:

https://ucahelps.alberta.ca/cost-com...turalGasUsage=

in all cases, all of the extra charges for delivery etc. will all still apply.

don't forget that the district energy will replace your gas bill only and you're still "on your own" for electricity (and won't have the opportunity to "bundle" those the way you can now).

hope that helps...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 2:40 PM

District energy has been a large topic of contention at Olympic Village in Vancouver. Overall costs for energy there are reportedly well in excess of market norms elsewhere in town.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 8:52 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:05 PM

^Linky no worky

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:13 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 1:43 PM

First families have landed in Edmonton's historic Blatchford development
‘It's peaceful. It's a little bit eerie at times, but that'll fill in fairly soon’

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...136345?cmp=rss

Quote:
It's been almost a decade since Edmonton's City Centre Airport closed down its runways, making way for the demolition of the downtown airstrip and its subsequent rebirth as a new, central community.

In the last few weeks, there's been a hum of activity with multiple families — the first residents of Blatchford community — simultaneously unpacking and moving into their new homes, all of them keen to meet their new neighbours.

"We had a dog's birthday party, we had a kid's birthday party and all of that within two weeks," said Alexia Wright, whose family has been settling into one of the first completed townhomes in the middle of the 536-acre neighbourhood.

The three-bedroom home, complete with a secondary suite, contains a sleek interior, with large windows looking out onto an active construction site and a shipping container for a garage.

City Centre Airport, located south of Yellowhead Trail bounded by Kingsway and Princess Elizabeth avenues, became Canada's first licensed airstrip in 1927 and operated until 2013.

When the neighbourhood is fully built, the city expects about 30,000 people — which is roughly the population of Leduc — will make it their home.

But for now, only 100 or so people are living in the 21 completed dwellings. There are 24 more under construction.

"Lots of people have been passing by as community tourists looking for signs of life," Scott Wright said. "There's a pedestrian walkway out front and the kids on our street have been getting to know each other.

"It's peaceful. It's a little bit eerie at times, but that'll fill in fairly soon."

The family bought into neighbourhood two years ago, not knowing quite what to expect.

While they admit the current area is not for everyone, they're enjoying watching the neighbourhood grow around them.

"Lots of exciting stuff is appearing out of nowhere," he said.

"I think as soon as you've got a few blocks filled in here, people will start to feel like it's a really fully active neighbourhood. And we're already getting that feel just on the street."

The city first started talking about developing the area in 2008 and city council passed the plan to redevelop in 2012.

It's been a long journey from then to now, according to the city's director of renewable energy systems Christian Felske who has been working on the project for about four-and-a-half years.

"Blatchford shall be a carbon-neutral development entirely powered by renewable energy," said Felske.

"So that's quite an ambitious vision for this land, but something which is really important given the times we're living in right now."

This week, the city announced construction is planned for 47 new units.

NAIT also purchased six per cent of the land to expand its campus.

Alexia Wright said the family never imagined living in a new home, because most are located toward the outskirts of the city.

"Because it's so removed, but yet not removed at all, you do feel like you're on holiday somewhere in an Airbnb," she said. "But you're in the middle of the city."

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 6:13 PM
Community Guy

GEC Architecture
3,757 followers
1w • 1 week ago

Follow
Ever wonder how urban living can address the challenges of sustainability, quality, affordability, and modern design all in a single development? Introducing Blatchford Malmö–a new, 25-unit residential community in Edmonton’s Blatchford district, the largest carbon-neutral community in Canada.

Blatchford Malmö’s stacked townhouse and loft units are highlighted throughout the building’s distinct Scandinavian-inspired design, featuring a minimalist expression rooted in simplicity and functionality. Each home is linked by a second-level courtyard, encouraging activity and social connection. Blatchford Malmö is also a model of sustainability, powered by Blatchford’s central geothermal system and featuring green initiatives such as EV chargers with each parking spot.

Developed by Common Ground Properties Ltd. and built by Rescom Inc., Blatchford Malmö is a ‘made in Edmonton’ solution. For more information, visit our blog: https://lnkd.in/gpihE_fa

https://www.linkedin.com/company/gec...uJmSRh6g%3D%3D

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 9:57 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 11:14 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 11:56 PM

I looked but cant find a clearer picture of Item 4 CITY CENTRE ARP that is coloured. Preferably so you can zoom in and see where the LRT is planned and get a birds eye view of the planning concept overall. Anyone?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 12:16 AM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I looked but cant find a clearer picture of Item 4 CITY CENTRE ARP that is coloured. Preferably so you can zoom in and see where the LRT is planned and get a birds eye view of the planning concept overall. Anyone?
Not sure either but it's not really the most up to date now. For example, there are going to be two LRT stations within Blatchford, whereas the ARP shows three.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Not sure either but it's not really the most up to date now. For example, there are going to be two LRT stations within Blatchford, whereas the ARP shows three.
I see 2 on the line.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:18 PM

There aren't enough eyeroll emojis to express how I feel about "agrihood". That's as, if not more, urbanist/planner-pretentious than Vancouver's failed "eco-density" BS.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton