HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 5:52 AM

You have some excellent ideas!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 4:52 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Not too sure if I'm crazy about a weir (and as I think the article mentions it's been proposed in the past) but I am happy that there are people thinking about the river valley 20, 30, 40 years hence. The valley IS easily the most impressive and unique aspect about Edmonton and we should be cherishing it and planning for it's long-term use as much as possible.

For years I talk about it swung too wildly between intensive development (infilling the 'dale communities) and pure park preservation but I think we're starting to find the right balance of nature and human activity. We do however need to make the valley much more accessible to the non-mobile (children, the elderly, the handicapped) than it is now... With the exception of the Shaw Centre and a bit of round-about pathways much of it feels off limits to these groups. Now I'm not suggesting we install escalators every block but we do need to be aware that travel to the area is currently difficult for a larger swath of the population that could, nay should be enjoying it!

That and I think we need to develop a river taxi/gondola network to bring people from the different parks to downtown and vice versa. And more cultural/climatized venues ala the Hawrelak Ampitheatre... Just think if there were a half dozen concert/theatre venues scattered across the valley from Tewilligar to Rundle that could attract 500-1000 people nightly and were available by water taxi... That would be a total game-changer...
I agree we want to be careful in developing the river valley - it is a natural beauty. However we do need some responsible commercial development at key points. Walking and biking the trails is one way to enjoy the valley. So is sitting on a patio with a glass of wine and a great meal after some shopping.... And with the many kilometres of valley I think we could spare one or two for some sensitive urban fun?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 4:59 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyteknight View Post
I've been working on a reimagining of Rossdale power plant as a part of my thesis studies and thought I'd share a sampling of it here.

The thesis is titled "Generating and Oasis: Architecture of Climatic Engagement for a Northern City" and involves recommissioning the plant as a geothermal generation facility for West Rossdale, utilizing its residual and ambient heat for public, communal warming (highlighted by a series of thermal baths in and adjacent to the plant), and finally, integrating into the proposal the city's much talked about urban gondola project. The proposal is meant to stimulate a discussion about how our city deals with the winter season and how this iconic structure might be transformed to facilitate a shift in our climatic identity.

In short, it is a proposition that quite literally opens up Rossdale to the city as a 'destination of warmth': one whose warm waters and interventions of climatic comfort will bring Edmontonians to the very edge of winter. Here, unlike the internalized architecture that has become the norm in this city, the line between inside and outside is blurred.

Strategic cuts and extractions are made in the building's brick surfaces and inserted into their voids a wood-surfaced path, inspired by the stairs and boardwalks found throughout the valley, brings the city in.

The extraction of a piece of the Boiler Hall's west facade calls out saying "welcome to the new Rossale" and in its track, bathers are brought back out into urbanity:

The northward extraction of one of the switchouse's facades creates a gateway for gondola and pedestrain arrival:

The removal of the southeast corner of the turbine hall plays with the idea of climatic threshold and extends patio culture well into the fringe seasons:

Cutting through the historic volumes, 'the path' puts Rossdale on exhibit and acts as a platform for community programming.

The water of the baths bring the public into contact with the found subterranean terrain and allow the structure to be seen from never before experienced perspectives. Its warm waters bring people out and into the wintery landscape and keep them there.

The smokestack towers take the idea of extraction and fragment to the city scale. By taking a few of the plant's smokestacks and distributing them throughout the valley repurposed as warming retreats. By offering visually related moments of comfort through nodes like this, the valley becomes an activated realm across all four seasons.

The thesis is meant to be a catalyst for a developing infrastructure of climatic engagement in the city: one that inspires other interventions of warming that tap into unutilized thermal resources to activate once desolate streets. Possibilities I have offered include solar-tube clad gondola cars, snow-accepting building skins, LRT-grate heated bus stops, awnings that take advantage of waste heat from bakery ovens, or even simply canopies of light that stimulate associations of warmth and comfort above key pedestrian routes.

The Gondola:

LRT-heated bus stops:

Sensory Urban Installations:

This is truly amazing work... We'll done.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 6:20 PM

Your hired

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 9:18 PM

Submit this to Make Something Edmonton, or do a PechaKucha presentation.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 9:26 PM
ARTchitecture

Unbelievable work! Your professor better give you a perfect grade!!!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:20 AM
Community Guy

Nicely done dude! Fantastic ideas.

Drop by next time

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:34 PM
DRINK

whoa. I like.

Doesn't the Rossdale canal plan interrupt this?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:16 PM
Community Guy

Thankfully no canal

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:02 PM

Just saw a CTV Edmonton promo for tonight's newscast on Rossdale Plant design ideas by a local architect, and they look like whyteknight's.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:54 AM

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:50 AM

Awesome! Well done Whyteknight!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 9:38 AM

Well done. I love your passion fir Edmonton - you have a bright future here in our City.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:24 PM
Community Guy

Indeed... drop by one of these days dude

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:58 PM

Very cool news story on u and your skill.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:02 AM

Go with the flow: Many Edmontonians want more amenities to lure people to North Saskatchewan River

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...159/story.html

Quote:
EDMONTON - Louise McKinney Park was busy Monday with joggers, walkers and cyclists enjoying the sunshine, but the only living things on the nearby North Saskatchewan River were birds.

Now the city is creating guidelines for docks, boat launches, trails and other facilities to help encourage more people to use Edmonton’s greatest natural asset.

“If we’re going to develop amenities, maybe it would be good to put in washrooms or a picnic site,” says Marilyn Hussey, project manager for the river access strategy.

“We want to get an idea of how many of those kinds of facilities people would use or want.”

So far, there have been approximately 600 responses to an online questionnaire asking for opinions on the 10-year strategy, which closes May 31.

Last edited by Hallsy's Toupee; May 20, 2014 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:19 AM
Community Guy

Well duh

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:26 AM

^ Be a good boy and fill out this survey if you haven't already done so, please:
https://survey.vovici.com/se.ashx?s=78AA005C78773068

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:13 PM
Community Guy

Have already done so.

I just wish people already used what we have better, more often and were aware of things in place. Many people seem to not know about the dock at LMP or the multiple boat launches.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:45 PM
HVAC guru

boat launch at Goldbar is very well used.

Access to the river though is tough.. not many great spots to actually get to the water. When we take the dogs for a swim we usually go under the Capilano Bridge.. great access spot on the north side of the river. It's not the nicest place to hang out though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton