HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 1:57 PM

Edmonton Roads

A thread to discuss news and developments that pertain to the roads of Edmonton.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 6:58 PM
BANNED

potholes!!!!! sand!!! BAD DRIVERS!!!!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:14 PM
Change is good

^ don't forget snow removal! or the lack there of it!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:11 AM

"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:24 AM
So very tired...

^ That's cool. Most dramatic was the snow melting...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:08 PM

if you look closely, look at the south-east ramp
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:41 PM

BROWN asphalt?

I really want to know. How the heck do you do that, Edmonton?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 5:56 PM
So very tired...

^ Not sure what you're looking at, but I think it may be just dirt. The approaches and bridge decks are not paved yet...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 1:35 AM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 1:41 AM
Urbis Maximus

Thanks Jasper. Yes, the ramps were not paved in the previous vid.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 2:26 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
pretty coo

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 3:12 PM
Derp

From Coolnet:
PRE-QUALIFICATION - PRIME CONTRACTOR - WHITEMUD DRIVE & 17 STREET INTERCHANGE
Hooray! It only took, what, 15 years to get around to?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 2:15 PM
BANNED

Gateway Drive

Further to my thoughts from the CP yards thread, I wanted to flush out my ideas for Gateway Drive a bit more.

Short term, ideally within the next 5 years, grade separate 34 av from gateway and Calgary trail. Providing free flow access up to the inner ring road is an excellent first step.

As this interchange would have to be modified when free flow gateway extends north of whitemud, it could be built similar to the 37 st / glenmore interchange in calgary.

For those not familiar, this was recently done as an interim solution while the final routing of SW stoney is decided. As such it was built for 15 - 20 year lifespan. Roughly the time frame of the CP yards being vacated...

And for those frightened by the 23 av fiasco, this should be fairly cheap, 20 mil or less. Some info on the Calgary interchange:

http://www.calgaryinfrastructure.ca/...s_231-003.html

http://www.schulich.ucalgary.ca/Civi...ation_CSCE.pdf

As for the long term, my idea involves acquiring the properties between gateway and the CP tracks, from 34 av to 63 av, using this area to expand the rail ROW, and build a 6 lane free flow road, with interchanges at 34 av, whitemud, 51 av and 63 av.

On the CP yard lands, from 68 av north, build a cut and cover tunnel for 6 lane gateway, as well as dual line HRT.

HRT tunnel would continue to high level bridge, while gateway would exit into the river valley, across a twinned walterdale bridge into rossdale.

Allow for on/off ramps to the tunnel at 82 av, as well as a potential underground HRT station, and redevelop the rail lands as mid density residential.

Length of all tunnel required is less than 2.5 km, and could be paid for in part by a per use toll.

Calgary trail would be converted to two way traffic to provide local access, and additional HRT stops could be added to develop TODs on the gateway corridor.

Once north of the river, some changes to existing roads will be required to accommodate the change to two way traffic, something to plan for before redevelopment in rossdale proceeds further.

Along with changes in rossdale, realign and rename 98 av with river valley road. This would be a 4 lane road with lane control from groat road to greztky drive. Not a freeway, more along the lines of memorial drive between crowchild and center st in calgary.

Separately, 97 st from yellowhead to AHD could be renamed Gateway Drive North, and upgraded to free flow. This is the only real option for creating a free flow road between all three ring roads on the north side.

Between yellowhead and river valley road, I think the existing distributed road grid works quite well with several main paths. (97 st, 101 st, 109 st)

Quick pic of gateway south:

And the map on google:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...e01b44b0749355

I realize this is a fairly huge undertaking, and as far as road projects are concerned, I think this corridor should fall behind yellowhead and gretzky for improvements.

However, I do think that Edmonton deserves to have one free flow road into the city center. It may take 20 years or more to get there, but having a solid plan in place now will help manage expectations, and steer infill development in the right direction.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:35 PM

^ I like...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 5:48 AM

City of Edmonton hopes federal funds will fast track Yellowhead Trail project
Quote:
The City of Edmonton is hoping a federal funding program will be the answer to tackling the Yellowhead Trail’s transition into a freeway.

A report set to go before the City’s Executive Committee next week indicates up to one-third of the costs could be covered by the Building Canada Fund. The suggestion was also proposed to the Transportation Committee last September.

According to Ward 1 councillor Andrew Knack, it is simply a matter of directing administration to move forward and develop the application.

“I think it is only a matter of when, not if, we do this project and how we do it the best way possible,” he told CTV News.

“Without this funding you wouldn’t see this being done nearly as soon. You would probably see a couple of key intersections focused on instead of the entire Yellowhead, and that is the big difference. We have that opportunity to go and do the entire Yellowhead.”

The entire project has been estimated to cost $687 million.

Knack said the rest of the funding could come from the province and also from the region.

“Having a free flowing Yellowhead is good for the entire Edmonton region so this would be an example of a project that I think we would like to see all of the Edmonton region get on board with.”

Knack also said tackling the entire roadway would mean minimal disruptions for traffic. “You are going to tender out to companies who will do the entire project versus one intersection at a time.

“There is also concern for doing it one intersection at a time that you are going to just create delay after delay after delay for construction because it is not going to be continuous.”

The report will be presented to the committee on Tuesday.
With files from Nicole Weisberg, Julia Parrish
Read more: http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/city-of-e...#ixzz3QYzrbxas

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 5:54 PM
Acey

New overhead signs are up on SB QE2 for the extremely expensive (but much needed going forward) 41 Ave SW interchange. Girders for all three bridges are now in place - Blackmud Creek, main spans over QE2, and then a short span over the train tracks.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycles View Post
potholes!!!!! sand!!! BAD DRIVERS!!!!
I've been away from Edmonton for a few years, but when I went there, I started to pray to all saints!!! And I am not a religious. What has happened to Edmonton? all the bad drivers that are around have changed the city into a free for all, nobody respect any body they cut you off and if you honk the horn, the idiot driver look at you as if you are the guilty one. I am staying away from Edmonton as much as I can. it is not safe for a driver/ bicycle rider/ pedestrian.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey wolf View Post
I've been away from Edmonton for a few years, but when I went there, I started to pray to all saints!!! And I am not a religious. What has happened to Edmonton? all the bad drivers that are around have changed the city into a free for all, nobody respect any body they cut you off and if you honk the horn, the idiot driver look at you as if you are the guilty one. I am staying away from Edmonton as much as I can. it is not safe for a driver/ bicycle rider/ pedestrian.
There is an influx of people who have stayed away for a while and then came back and brought the bad driving habits they picked up elsewhere with them. Also people moving here and ditto...the same bad driving habits. What is a poor Edmonton guy to do but weep about it.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 1:48 AM
Hamletropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
There is an influx of people who have stayed away for a while and then came back and brought the bad driving habits they picked up elsewhere with them. Also people moving here and ditto...the same bad driving habits. What is a poor Edmonton guy to do but weep about it.
I thought drivers in Edmonton were decent.... Did ^^ that guy just drive the west Edmonton mall parking lot?

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 3:45 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey wolf View Post
If you just came to this site to bitch and complain about Edmonton without offering anything constructive, you might find yourself more at home at Connect2Edmonton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton