HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 11:54 PM
Redi-Floors, Inc.

Atlantic Station Thread II

Since the first thread is well over 2000 posts, I thought I'd start a new one.

Link to Original Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=51668

Quick Recap of Pending Developments:

Retail

Target/Starbucks
LA Fitness
Wolf Camera
Nani Salon & Spa
[New Spot in Twelve] (?)
Aveda Lifestyle Center

Restaurants

Geisha House
Ten Pin Alley
Au Bon Pain
Claddaugh Irish Pub (?)

Residences

ATL Lofts (Final Phases)
Metro
Element
Beazer Townhomes (Phase II)
The Atlantic

Let me know if I've forgotten anything. Also, if anyone has a review of Cirque Du Soleil, please let me know!

Last edited by Sedaded; Dec 16, 2006 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 2:07 AM
Dutton Brown Design

Cirque Picture

Here's a picture from near my apt. Can see 201 is nearly topped out as well.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 2:13 AM
Dutton Brown Design

201 17th Picture

Couple of quick shots. Sorry about the blur. Can really start to see how 17th is forming a northern wall for 17th street corridor. Reflective glass on the building is nice too.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 5:10 PM

Great pics GThomas and great work Sedaded. I think Claddaugh Irish Pub has pulled out unfortunately. AS really needs a "local" pub/bar/grille.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 3:48 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Exclamation Tasti-D-Lite Closed?

During my lunch break on Saturday (I work at Dillard's), I noticed that everything inside the place was stripped off and removed.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 5:02 AM
Redi-Floors, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
During my lunch break on Saturday (I work at Dillard's), I noticed that everything inside the place was stripped off and removed.
The one inside Spire has closed as well. Perhaps the FDA finally got wise to their game......

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
Why does gdot always put up these wire hanging street lights?

I understand using them in low density suburban areas to save money, but cant we spend a few thousand more to put arms up on any new projects that involve the states most premier streets?

Hell, Mississippi, the poorest state in NA, north of Mexico, even has almost all steel arms and not these cheap looking things.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:18 AM

can you imagine if ALL the wires in Atlanta were sunken? telephone wires, power lines....its too good to imagine.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
Why does gdot always put up these wire hanging street lights?

I understand using them in low density suburban areas to save money, but cant we spend a few thousand more to put arms up on any new projects that involve the states most premier streets?

Hell, Mississippi, the poorest state in NA, north of Mexico, even has almost all steel arms and not these cheap looking things.
Because the people of this state don't see the value in investing in the public realm.

Long-term, I think that 17th Street will get them. For now, we should be thankful for all the concessions that GDOT did make. Otherwise, it was going to be another Satellite Boulevard.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 2:31 PM
(Oo=vw=oO) .:R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedaded View Post
The one inside Spire has closed as well. Perhaps the FDA finally got wise to their game......
Some further observations of the Tasti-D-Lite place...

It's closing is also probably due to the fact that every time I went my order was never rung up on the register and my total was always an even $2 or $5.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspunk View Post
Some further observations of the Tasti-D-Lite place...

It's closing is also probably due to the fact that every time I went my order was never rung up on the register and my total was always an even $2 or $5.
If they were even open. The one is AS could never be relied upon. Their machines were always broken, and they would sometimes be closed at times I would consider peak in the summer. Very poorly run franchise here in Atlanta. Too bad, I liked their ice cream.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 4:32 PM

[QUOTE=Terminus;2519391]Because the people of this state don't see the value in investing in the public realm.
QUOTE]

This still baffles me. Why is it we make such huge strides in certain areas, but then will undo all of our progress by taking the cheap way out.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 4:52 PM

ATLmangum: The answer is simple: GDOT.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
A cliche answer, but trite and simplistic. GDOT has an enormous responsibility which encompasses the entire state. While we are focused on metropolitan Atlanta, GDOT has to focus on highways and bridges throughout the largest state east of the Mississippi River -- no small responsibility.

If you look objectively at what GDOT has accomplished, you have to give them high marks in most areas. Georgia has one of the best highway systems in the eastern United States, hands down. Its roadways and bridges are well-built, maintained, and marked for all-weather travel. Road and bridge infrastructures supporting the ports of Savannah and Brunswick are a major key to the rapid growth of those valuable gateways. And like them or not, Atlanta's freeways have been constantly expanded with minimal interruption to traffic -- and that's quite a feat by itself. And have we already forgotten the 5th Street Bridge?

OK, so we don't like some of GDOT's work inside Atlanta, and it makes some here feel superior to imagine that they know everything and GDOT knows nothing. I would argue that it is a matter of focus, and that as Atlanta continues to increase as a percentage of the state's population, we will see more focus on major projects here -- besides the huge freeway interchange improvements that we already take for granted. The ho-hum 17th Street Bridge was followed by the dazzling 5th Street project, so I think Atlantans have good reason to be encouraged about future improvements.

It might be important to remember that the "G" in GDOT stands for "Georgia" -- not just Atlanta. GDOT is greatly underappreciated here.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 5:56 PM

Claddagh Pub

Someone mentioned Claddagh above, I e-mailed them two months ago to see if they still planned on opening - they responded that they were indeed still planning to open - however they were well behind schedule and only reviewing submitted bids for the contract work now. So maybe there is still hope.

"We are planning to open. We are in negotiations of construction
contracts and it is a hope that we will begin construction shortly.

We look forward to meeting you!

Slainte

Area Director
The Claddagh Irish Pub"

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
And the apologists for GDOT who think we should be grateful that they are willing to spend out tax dollars in the first place. Really, we have such high expectations...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:40 PM

Another thing about GDOT that sometimes people don't realize is that they design and build the roads, bridges, etc. but then the city or county takes ownership of them. So when you see a road that is poorly maintained, that's not GDOT's fault, it's the owner's responsibility to maintain them.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
And the apologists for GDOT who think we should be grateful that they are willing to spend out tax dollars in the first place. Really, we have such high expectations...
Atlantans are not the only taxpayers expecting a return on their taxes, and we are getting a good return on ours. And don't forget that a large portion of transportation taxes are collected from fuel sales, which are levied (by the gallon) in direct proportion to each taxpayer's use of the roads.

At any rate, the object of your derision is GDOT, not ADOT. If you can't appreciate GDOT's accomplishments throughout the state, then perhaps your perspective is a bit provincial. GDOT has larger responsibilities, and does not enjoy that luxury.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 11:09 PM
Peace and Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
And don't forget that a large portion of transportation taxes are collected from fuel sales, which are levied (by the gallon) in direct proportion to each taxpayer's use of the roads.

Care to reword that? The word "large" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. I'm thinking a word like "tiny" or "pathetic" would be better.

I'll keep your words in mind when I'm driving my home down the road or when I'm driving a gallon of milk to the Braves game because property and sales taxes are what fund Georgia roads, not our practically non-existant fuel tax. If it wasn't for the federal gas tax and USDOT, drivers in Georgia would pay almost none of the cost. Of course politicans in Georgia will tell you that the feds are ripping us off, taking Georgia money to build roads in the rest of the country.

Ooops... darn, it's annoying when people look things up for themselves instead of blindly listening to politicans telling them what they want to hear. The politicans are playing a cute game... they take that green bar at the end, the one that shows the national average return, compare it to Georgia's return, and say "Hey, we're getting ripped off" when the truth is that the feds are paying out more money to everyone than they are taking in from fuel taxes. Where does this money come from? Income taxes on everyone (and more and more, borrowing money from other countries), regardless of how much they drive. At least the feds do keep the payout for roads close to the income they take in, unlike Georgia, which makes road users pay almost none of the cost.

(Graph source: Samford University)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 11:23 PM

If TRL comes to Atlanta I will slap My moma...............I mean I will literaly slap the crap out of her.

Atlantic Station is cool and all, but the view from the TRL Town Square window makes the views in at Atlantic station look like a farm. Thats just dumb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta