HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 8:15 PM

It would be cool to have them film that close to downtown, but that's pretty much right next to the train tracks, and at a place where the horns get blown a lot.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
It would be cool to have them film that close to downtown, but that's pretty much right next to the train tracks, and at a place where the horns get blown a lot.
Maybe if they soundproof the building it could help. I gave them about 9 different options that I can figure out. She did respond thanking me and she'll look at everything I sent. There's just a real lack of warehouse space in general, let alone one that could work as a sound stage...and thats bad for Tucson. If we had a stellar sound stage facility then word would get out and its that much more likely other tv shows or films would come. If HBO raved about us...and J.J. Abrams said he loves filming here. The possibilities are tremendous. But if all we have is an old OfficeMax building that doesn't bode well. I'm embarrassed for Tucson.

Again, I wish more people would email the mayor, city council, Pima County Board of Supervisors and Fletcher McCusker at Rio Nuevo telling them to build a proper sound stage facility. I email them so much about this stuff they're sick of me. I'm sure my emails are deleted immediately.

Also...there is another Rio Nuevo meeting this Thursday June 24th. If anyone is able to listen in an update would be appreciated.
And in two weeks on July 6th will be the Pima County Board of Supervisors decision on who are the new owners of Old Tucson...just FYI.

Last edited by AZ71; Jun 22, 2021 at 5:16 AM. Reason: Update info

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 5:05 AM

Just a quick update. We got the HBO show. I suspect Rio Nuevo will confirm it at their meeting on Thursday. Its just the pilot at first. Then if HBO approves it, it then goes to Season 1 with the expectation of a 5 season arc...if ratings hold. Fantastic news for Tucson!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
Just a quick update. We got the HBO show. I suspect Rio Nuevo will confirm it at their meeting on Thursday. Its just the pilot at first. Then if HBO approves it, it then goes to Season 1 with the expectation of a 5 season arc...if ratings hold. Fantastic news for Tucson!
Hoping you're as dialed in to this scene as you seem.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 4:04 PM

That's good news in regards to the HBO show.

I heard that possibly an announcement in regards to a sports-related facility is coming within a month or so.

On my end, I'm working on a project (of which I think is of regional significance). I'm hoping we can announce, worst-case-scenario, within a year; likely within 6 months; if we get everything lined up, potentially sooner than 6 months. Sorry for the mysterious project post, but we're really close.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Hoping you're as dialed in to this scene as you seem.
It is the truth unless something major happens in the next few weeks.

Now the challenge is how do you take this high profile show and spur other tv shows and films to come to Tucson? I hope the film office has a detailed, aggressive plan to do that.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe if they soundproof the building it could help. I gave them about 9 different options that I can figure out. She did respond thanking me and she'll look at everything I sent. There's just a real lack of warehouse space in general, let alone one that could work as a sound stage...and thats bad for Tucson. If we had a stellar sound stage facility then word would get out and its that much more likely other tv shows or films would come. If HBO raved about us...and J.J. Abrams said he loves filming here. The possibilities are tremendous. But if all we have is an old OfficeMax building that doesn't bode well. I'm embarrassed for Tucson.

Again, I wish more people would email the mayor, city council, Pima County Board of Supervisors and Fletcher McCusker at Rio Nuevo telling them to build a proper sound stage facility. I email them so much about this stuff they're sick of me. I'm sure my emails are deleted immediately.

Also...there is another Rio Nuevo meeting this Thursday June 24th. If anyone is able to listen in an update would be appreciated.
And in two weeks on July 6th will be the Pima County Board of Supervisors decision on who are the new owners of Old Tucson...just FYI.
The RN meeting only has two items on their agenda, finance and budgeting. I hope they mention other things.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 1:33 PM

June 24, 2021 RN Meeting

Ok, so the RN meeting mentioned a few things but not much detail since it was mainly about finance and budgeting which is doing good since things are starting to pick up with some events happening and concerts coming back in the Fall. Some of the things they mentioned in reference with their budgeting are:

-Volvo Site project is still alive and the developer has renegotiated with the City regarding their contract or development... RN had said previously that because of this, they didn't need to contribute financially to this project...

-Empire restaurant expansion is delayed, due to zoning issues.

-The state had came in and helped with securing the HBO series, not sure what those details are.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 2:21 PM

Thrive in the 05

Thrive in the 05 had a virtual meeting and discussed current initiatives to better improve the area near and around Oracle/Miracle etc. A few things that stood out to me were:

- time stamp: 18:20. Bus rapid system connecting TIA-> Downtown-> Tucson Mall. City applied with FTA for planning grant which was successful. Planning will include a potential light rail instead of a Bus rapid system as well.

-time stamp: 26:20. Pedestrian/Bicyclist pathway going over I10 and Union Pacific RR at Grant Rd.

- time stamp: 47:00. Downtown PCC is expanding again. As you know, Automotive Tech and innovative center just opened. Now, they are building an expansion for Advanced Manufacturing which will be 3 stories 100k SF in the West parking lot . (52:00 for virtual rendering) completion is expected to be Thanksgiving 2022.

Also, the PCC aviation campus is doubling its space which is currently under construction and should be completed by next Feb/March 2022.

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mZ_Cx1iOYM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 11:20 PM

Two Tucson projects on this list - Sonoran Corridor (#4) and I-10/SR-210 (#3) as well as rail link between Tucson and Phoenix (#1).

Top 10 Public Projects in Planning

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Two Tucson projects on this list - Sonoran Corridor (#4) and I-10/SR-210 (#3) as well as rail link between Tucson and Phoenix (#1).

Top 10 Public Projects in Planning
They've talked about that Tucson to Phx Railway for years. I think that Tier study was finished 6 years ago. At least maybe they chose a route. I dont see why they cant get that high-speed rail, Brightline, to finish it up. They have the FL version from Miami to Orlando. They're working on the LA to Vegas route. Its seems natural to have a Tucson to Phx line to begin and eventually extend the Phx to Vegas to connect it with the LA line. Frustrating.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
They've talked about that Tucson to Phx Railway for years. I think that Tier study was finished 6 years ago. At least maybe they chose a route. I dont see why they cant get that high-speed rail, Brightline, to finish it up. They have the FL version from Miami to Orlando. They're working on the LA to Vegas route. Its seems natural to have a Tucson to Phx line to begin and eventually extend the Phx to Vegas to connect it with the LA line. Frustrating.
Just heard from family in Vegas that no progress has been made on the high speed rail route up there. A lot of trouble negotiating right of way with Union Pacific from what I was told.

I’d imagine we’d have the same issue here unless we put down fresh rail. That will take funding and likely a state wide infrastructure vote.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 7:06 PM

move Tucson

not sure how recent this is but here's an updated list of the proposed move tucson projects https://movetucsonrecommendations.al...cloud/en#/home

Last edited by juan.x.ito; Jul 4, 2021 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Just heard from family in Vegas that no progress has been made on the high speed rail route up there. A lot of trouble negotiating right of way with Union Pacific from what I was told.

I’d imagine we’d have the same issue here unless we put down fresh rail. That will take funding and likely a state wide infrastructure vote.
This country is so ridiculous about right of ways and land. How on earth did they ever lay the railway 150 years ago? How did they build 40,000 miles of interstate in the 40s under the New Deal plan? Its like we cant do anything for the greater good of the country. Sounds like the only way is to put it down the center of I-10, and where there isn't room elevate it (like in some parts of CA they do this). Just no one has foresight here. They clearly need private investor money. Brightline is the only private high-speed rail company in the entire US. How is that even possible? US is so far behind other countries regarding transportation.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
I'd rather the state not waste $4.5 billion on a railway that's not high-speed. I'm for the all-or-nothing approach on this project.

FYI - regarding your other comment "How did they build 40,000 miles of interstate in the 40s under the New Deal plan?" - the interstate system was created in the 1950s under Eisenhower, not in the 1940's under FDR's New Deal. When Eisenhower was a general in WW2 he marveled at the autobahn system in Germany and the ease of transport across the country and wanted something similar in the U.S.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
I'd rather the state not waste $4.5 billion on a railway that's not high-speed. I'm for the all-or-nothing approach on this project.

FYI - regarding your other comment "How did they build 40,000 miles of interstate in the 40s under the New Deal plan?" - the interstate system was created in the 1950s under Eisenhower, not in the 1940's under FDR's New Deal. When Eisenhower was a general in WW2 he marveled at the autobahn system in Germany and the ease of transport across the country and wanted something similar in the U.S.
Sorry, my bad for the dates of the freeways. But you understand my point. But regardless, I just wish we could embrace high-speed rail. And I 100% agree with you about rail. Do it right or not at all. If it takes longer to get to Phx by train than by car...few will use it. Downtown Tucson to Downtown Phx is 115 miles and takes 1:41 minutes says google. High speed rail should get you there in at least 1 hour, in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:37 PM

Renderings from the UofA of the new Applied Research Building to be built at the SE corner of Helen and Highland, just north of Speedway.

This is also supposed to include improvements to the Highland Street Pedestrian Underpass.

More details from the Star here

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 10:35 PM

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
100% agree with this. The entire "Sunshine Mile" has been a farce. I'm a native and never once heard it referred to as this. (Even though in research some neighborhoods deemed it this name in the 50s). There is nothing architecturally significant about any stretch of this roadway except for the buildings at Broadway & Country Club: The Chase Bldg, Broadway Village, and the little section that includes Bisbee Breakfast Club & the Hirsch Shoe store. Nothing else is worth keeping in my opinion. And the fact they neglected to extend the streetcar was another huge mistake to the development of any kind of place for people to shop. The streetcar alone could have been the igniter of development by itself. Rio Nuevo didn't need to sink money into the mismatch of old buildings.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 11:56 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
100% agree with this. The entire "Sunshine Mile" has been a farce. I'm a native and never once heard it referred to as this. (Even though in research some neighborhoods deemed it this name in the 50s). There is nothing architecturally significant about any stretch of this roadway except for the buildings at Broadway & Country Club: The Chase Bldg, Broadway Village, and the little section that includes Bisbee Breakfast Club & the Hirsch Shoe store. Nothing else is worth keeping in my opinion. And the fact they neglected to extend the streetcar was another huge mistake to the development of any kind of place for people to shop. The streetcar alone could have been the igniter of development by itself. Rio Nuevo didn't need to sink money into the mismatch of old buildings.
This city council would rather hang on to these buildings for the sake of keeping things "Old Pueblo" instead of modernizing a crucial stretch of road not too far from downtown. I agree that Broadway could have been a great place for a light rail extending all the way to Kolb. I would have taken it a step further and done a loop from Broadway/Campbell area to Broadway/Kolb to Speedway/Kolb and then terminus at Speedway/Campbell.
But I digress....Broadway Sunshine Mile could be another opportunity squandered because the City Council keeps wanting to keep the "Pueblo" in Old Pueblo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest