HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 11:31 PM

Hendrick Farm [Chelsea] | U/C

Surprisingly, I haven't noticed any threads on this project here so I figured we could start one (feel free to merge if one already does).

It looks like they're now starting on the commercial and somewhat more dense/urban part of the project with this set of buildings:

https://www.hendrickfarm.ca/village-rentals/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:55 AM

I absolutely love this development. And I hope this developer does a lot more in the region. Just sucks that Chelsea is relatively far from Ottawa (especially with bridge traffic).

Also, $2-2.5k is a lot for rent.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 5:49 AM

Also surprised we didn't already have a thread for this one. Certainly one of very few good suburban developments in the Ottawa-Gatienau area, both from a design and urban planning perspective.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:02 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I absolutely love this development. And I hope this developer does a lot more in the region. Just sucks that Chelsea is relatively far from Ottawa (especially with bridge traffic).

You could get from Chelsea to the M-C bridge in 15 minutes, pre-covid.

Also, rental prices in Gatineau and area are skyrocketing too thanks to Ottawa peeps being priced out of the market and reluctantly 'settling' to live over here.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 7:47 AM

Quote:

I understand it's very fast actually. Generally no more than 25 minutes to the Byward market with traffic. Certainly closer than anywhere else that suburban though this development is crazy dense for the location. It is interesting that it seems to work and they are getting a lot more units per acre than your typical suburban development that is less walkable etc. So it's really win win.
Chelsea still not urban enough for me personally but if a real main street develops it will be a great area that Ottawa now lacks.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:

I lived in Edelweiss for years and it was exactly 30 minutes to the bridge, Wakefield is 22 minutes, and Old Chelsea is 10 minutes. I never had major issues with bridge traffic. On the way into Ottawa you need to take the left lane to skip the line up for the 50, and the left lane going home is usually clear, the major traffic is lined up in the right lane for the 50.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
You could get from Chelsea to the M-C bridge in 15 minutes, pre-covid.

Also, rental prices in Gatineau and area are skyrocketing too thanks to Ottawa peeps being priced out of the market and reluctantly 'settling' to live over here.
Then how long to actually get across the bridge?

It's a nice looking development, but there's almost no retail within walking distance, a bare minimum of transit.... it's very car dependent. Not for me.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The relevant bit.

Quote:
It's a nice looking development, but there's almost no retail within walking distance, a bare minimum of transit.... it's very car dependent. Not for me.
Same. Wife and I have started researching various options. We gave a brief look at this hood. I'm glad they are building a prettier suburb than the standard fare in Orleans or Stittsville. But it's still a very car dependent suburb that comes with a second car hidden tax. And it'll be years for them to get decent retail inside the actual neighbourhood. All that said, wish more of Barrhaven and Orleans was actually built like this.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:

Never took me more than a few minutes even in rush hour. The odd time I'd wait a little on King Edward on the way back, but typically not more than 5-10 minutes delay.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:55 PM

Give it a few years....

Induced demand is a bitch.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:28 AM

My proff is actually the main interior decorator for all the custom homes and I got to visit not long ago. It seems like a really promising area once retail arrives. It would be a dream job to design my own little town imo. The owners and developers were very conscious of the pedestrian environment from what I saw in the plans so hopefully they deliver.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 5:45 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald's Racoon View Post
My proff is actually the main interior decorator for all the custom homes and I got to visit not long ago. It seems like a really promising area once retail arrives. It would be a dream job to design my own little town imo. The owners and developers were very conscious of the pedestrian environment from what I saw in the plans so hopefully they deliver.
Hendrick Farm seems like a great idea but looks like a movie set. Other side of the highway seems more like Borehaven.

Also LOL at your username.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 5:51 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Yeah, but.. isn't it comparable to Kanata or Rockland, if you are commuting to downtown?

Heck, even Wakefield is still pretty accessible.. for now. And I'd argue the scenery there is a little nicer than say, Carleton Place. And both these places have nice funnels to downtown.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Give it a few years....

Induced demand is a bitch.
Yeah that's the theory from your urban planning 101 course. This highway has been there for what 60+ years. Granted the Quebec border was always sticky but Autoroute 5 has lots of excess capacity even at rush hour. The bottleneck is when the 50 joins.

It's a well designed suburb but yes it's a suburb which will have in the end very little retail and be car centric when exiting the development even if they have more walking trails and interaction between neighbours which it seems to do well. Interesting to compare to the other side of the highway. Which has seen better demand. The other side is very much classic suburb.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Hendrick Farm seems like a great idea but looks like a movie set. Other side of the highway seems more like Borehaven.

Also LOL at your username.
You're right, it does sort of look like a movie set. When I was there, there was about 24 houses up and no retail so I'm sure some 3-6 story buildings with retail on the bottom floor will make it seem a little more alive.

Also FINALLY someone got the Ottawa cult Easter Egg XD

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but.. isn't it comparable to Kanata or Rockland, if you are commuting to downtown?

Heck, even Wakefield is still pretty accessible.. for now. And I'd argue the scenery there is a little nicer than say, Carleton Place. And both these places have nice funnels to downtown.
I suppose Rockland and Carleton Place are good comparisons for this place.

But Kanata, Barrhaven and Orleans all have transit service that can make them quite a bit less car dependent if you so choose. We lived for several years in Findlay Creek with only 1 car because it was biking distance to work, there was transit, and there was shopping in walking distance.

Other than Nordik, Chelsea Pub and La Cigale (all great places, admittedly!) there's not much you can walk to around here and there's very little transit. You would need 2 cars.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 11:56 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Bait & switch doesn't just exist in the city:

Quote:
Chelsea residents sue developer that scrapped organic farm
Organic farm was main draw to the development, some say, and now it's gone

Robyn Miller · CBC News
Posted: Jul 21, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

A group of residents living in the Hendrick Farm development in Chelsea, Que., is suing the developer for removing the organic farm they say is the reason they bought there in the first place.

Hendrick Farm, which sits just west of Highway 5, is a tight-knit community of brightly coloured houses, porch swings and white picket fences. The development originally included a two-hectare organic farm as part of its plan that was promised "in perpetuity."

Now the farmland is being transformed into a mixed-use area that includes things like community garden plots, fruit orchards, picnic tables, walking paths, and a possible skating rink, all open for public use.

"It was devastating to be honest," said resident Jennifer Nadon.

"None of us were expecting this and it sort of makes you second-guess everything that I loved about the idea of living in this community."

Nadon is one of 17 residents who signed a class-action lawsuit against both Hendrick Farm and the Hendrick Farm Foundation seeking a permanent injunction to revert the land back to its original state.

Resident Bryan Hendry said he used to enjoy his morning coffee on the porch overlooking the farm but the grass, newly planted trees, and pathways under construction just aren't what he envisioned.

"There's a lot of tears. It was very upsetting because this is our dream home and now it's like a nightmare," he said.

Hendry said he and other residents were drawn to the Hendrick Farm development specifically because of the organic farm. Upon signing the purchase agreement, buyers and the developer agreed one per cent of house sales would go back to the Hendrick Farm Foundation to maintain the space.

Hendry said he was shocked to first hear about the planned changes in November 2020. After failed attempts to change the course of the plan, Hendry said the group decided to take legal action in May.

"If we can't reverse the damage that's been done, then we may be seeking damages as a result," he added.

In a statement, Hendrick Farm developer Sean McAdam said the farm was not financially sustainable. In consultation with the community, an agreement was reached to move to "a less labour-intensive agricultural model," he wrote in a statement.

"I hope that in time this small litigious cabal will be able to both see the beauty in shared green space and, ultimately, celebrate that it's near their own house," McAdam wrote.

Still, one resident told CBC he felt "betrayed" and "played with," while Jamie Herring wrote a letter to his neighbours decrying the public use he did not sign up for.

"I can't help but picture hundreds of people eating food, drinking beer, having BBQs, bringing their dogs and further denigrating the land and the values we bought into," Herring wrote.

Those involved in the legal battle also expressed concern about how the space could transform once another $100-million joint development between Hendrick Farm and Nordik Spa is complete.

Not everyone in the community has an issue with the altered plans.

Mike Cousineau has lived at Hendrick Farm for nearly five years and said some neighbours are looking forward to the changes.

"I'm good with it. I see the positives of the changes in terms of bringing the community even closer, a space to gather, a spot to walk, to be with nature, but within a small urban community," he said.

Cousineau does respect his neighbours' rights to legal action.

The legal proceedings are currently in the discovery phase and it's not clear how long the process will take.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ment-1.6109790

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Bait & switch doesn't just exist in the city:
Well it seems replacing public with public. It's not like converting it to housing.
If that photo is the "after" it's not demonstrably different than a farm though I understand kids playing or people sitting is annoying to people that wanted to stare at fields.

These cases are very hard to win.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:15 PM

I get being upset that the farm, which was a selling point and promised as a permanent feature, has been removed. I even get the lawsuit. But trying to present a park as some sort of devastating blight on the community? That's a bit much.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:15 PM

Its like Glebe and Westboro NIMBYs had a baby called Hendrick Farm... these people are real special...

"It was devastating to be honest,"
"There's a lot of tears. It was very upsetting because this is our dream home and now it's like a nightmare,"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs