HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
In an era of finite resources, yet more resources spent on studies with limited necessity?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
In an era of finite resources, yet more resources spent on studies with limited necessity?
What an opportunity to build a separated bike lane right across the north end, linking a high school, 2 pools, arena, junior high, churches, and homes along a stretch with high frequency bus service

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 8:31 PM

Parking Is Devouring American Cities - Cheddar Explains

https://youtu.be/IgA4FJWIjI8
Some startling stats.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 8:53 PM

^ Everybody participating on Skyscraper forums already knew about this problem for decades, it's the clueless idiots outside of these forums that need to watch that video.

Thanks for sharing anyways!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:48 PM
Community Guy

'It has to work for everyone': Edmontonians call for more inclusive city planning

Edmonton residents want the city's planning and infrastructure to accommodate everyone — regardless of income, housing status, or how they choose to get around.

That's what Taproot heard in the final People's Agenda listening session on April 29, which saw more than 20 people participate in a discussion about public infrastructure.

The event was prompted by Taproot’s People's Agenda, a document that’s being compiled based on the responses to this question: What key issue do you want the candidates to talk about as they compete for votes in the 2021 municipal election, and why?

Vivian Manasc, the event's featured speaker, said that good city planning is inclusive of all residents.

"A healthy city has space for many different ideas," she said. "It has to work for everyone."

https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...eid=b81cde227f

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 9:00 PM
Community Guy

Major Development Permit
Reference Id: Job No 392211976-002
Description: To construct exterior alterations to the Site to redevelop the south outdoor plaza area Accessory that is adjacent to the Public Libraries and Cultural Exhibits Use (Stanley A. Milner Library) to include re-development and re-design of the Post Office Clock Tower Plaza Site and Judy Padua Way (Road-Right-of-Way); and to construct exterior alterations and to change the Use to Child Care Services to the existing stage and amphitheater on top of the Parkade Exit Ramp on 101A Avenue NW to support the required rooftop outdoor play space for the Child Care Services Use in the Stanley A. Milner Library; including some tree removals and new trees on Road-Right-Of-Way. This includes the raising of Judy Padua Way to become a shared roadway and removal of the turning loop from 99 Street North. (Centennial Plaza)
10145 - 100 STREET NW
Plan 1952TR Blk F Lot R2
7 - SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL SQUARE NW
Plan 4390NY Blk E
Applicant: THE MARC BOUTIN ARCHITECTURAL COLLABORATIVE INC.
Create Date: 2021/04/14
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:54 AM
Community Guy

Reimagine Jasper Avenue

my own

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 5:00 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 5:12 PM

I'm curious what 12 - Rossdale Flats is supposed to be in the first pic. Otherwise, let's get this done yesterday!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 5:13 PM

^I hope we see this come to fruition in some form.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 5:26 PM
Community Guy

About time.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 5:32 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I'm curious what 12 - Rossdale Flats is supposed to be in the first pic. Otherwise, let's get this done yesterday!
The Ross Flats apartments - guessing it's to preserve the apartments and potentially adaptively reuse them in some capacity.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 8:21 PM
Community Guy

107 Ave Revitalization - 101-122 Streets

Project Overview

Improvements to 107 Avenue have been identified through the Neighbourhood Revitalization Program. A comprehensive Urban Design Analysis for the communities was completed and shared with Edmontonians in February 2017. Following extensive consultation with a variety of community stakeholders, this analysis suggested improvements that would support the overarching goals of the program which include:

Developing safer communities
Create beautiful neighbourhoods
Build a dynamic economic environment
Connect our community

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...revitalization

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
107 Ave Revitalization - 101-122 Streets

Project Overview

Improvements to 107 Avenue have been identified through the Neighbourhood Revitalization Program. A comprehensive Urban Design Analysis for the communities was completed and shared with Edmontonians in February 2017. Following extensive consultation with a variety of community stakeholders, this analysis suggested improvements that would support the overarching goals of the program which include:

Developing safer communities
Create beautiful neighbourhoods
Build a dynamic economic environment
Connect our community

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...revitalization
I filled out the survey. I'm all for it, however I made it absolutely crystal-clear that construction on 107 Ave will not begin until the Valley Line LRT construction is finished.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
I filled out the survey. I'm all for it, however I made it absolutely crystal-clear that construction on 107 Ave will not begin until the Valley Line LRT construction is finished.
Interesting. I filled out the survey too but said that I don't mind closures soon and permanent lane closures as 111 Avenue is more than wide enough to handle the diverted traffic.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 12:11 AM

107 Ave between 101 and 109 St is such a weird width. Reducing it to one lane in each direction plus permanent parking lanes left turn lane is ideal here, going up to 4 lanes approaching 101 St and 109 St. maybe 105 St? I also told them to put bulges at all intersections to reduce the distance pedestrians have to cross (these are all over BC and they actually make crossing streets pleasant) and stop people from driving on empty parking lanes because I'm petty like that.

It would be similar to Bernard Ave in downtown Kelowna.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I knew the tone of your posts sounded familiar... it all make sense now!

seriously tho, you should post your response if you've somehow cracked the formula the keeps CoE from doing retarded things

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 9:08 PM
Community Guy

NEW AND EMERGING PLANNING INITIATIVES

Award for Planning Excellence
Project Name: City of Edmonton Open Option Parking
Company: City of Edmonton
Like many cities, Edmonton has long had minimum parking requirements in its zoning by-law, which has contributed to the City’s over-supply of parking. However, in 2020 the City approved a new Open Option Parking approach that removes the regulation of parking from the zoning by-law and shifts it to being a market-driven amenity.

By ”right-sizing” parking needs to what the market demands, Edmonton has the potential to transform urban spaces, add density, and better support the creation of new affordable housing. The initiative allows for shared parking spaces between users, while still prioritizing the provision of fully accessible spaces. This large shift represented the conclusion of a decade of incremental changes that Edmonton has made to parking requirements in their zoning by-law.

The City undertook a robust education and public consultation effort as part of this project. Innovative efforts were used to crowd-source data collection and get opinions from residents and businesses on an otherwise dry and technical topic. This project is just one of many in the City driving towards a more sustainable future.

The jury applauds the City of Edmonton for its leadership on this project and being the first major Canadian city to take such a drastic step away from regulatory parking.

---

CITY AND REGIONAL PLANNING

Award for Planning Excellence Merit
Project Name: Edmonton City Plan
Company: Edmonton City Plan
The Edmonton City Plan is a comprehensive document that promoted the means to move Edmontonians forward with focus, boldness, and agility within the global context. It is a modern policy document that integrates all city strategic plans.

Anchored in economic and health realities, the City Plan is a living document built with resilience to disruption in mind. The overall goal of the plan is to lay out the path for a city of one million to grow in the coming decade, by responding to social and environmental challenges through people-focused, evidence-based, integrated, and measurable actions. It builds on the city’s transformational priorities (the five Big City Moves). The Edmonton City Plan was recognized for its sustainability goals: people-oriented, compact, and efficient urban form, fueled by the integrated Municipal Development Plan and the Transportation Master Plan, a geospatial approach to analyze nodes, corridors and urban fabric, growth management, preservation of the North Saskatchewan River Valley and ecological corridors, and clear strategic objectives and indicators, while seeking synergies with the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Growth Plan.

The Edmonton City Plan is a good example of how technical studies, strategic documents, and multifaceted participation techniques can reach a broad audience and engage stakeholders and the community to support and enable the re-imagining of sustainable development policies and actions by city staff.
-------

All from
https://www.cip-icu.ca/Honours-Award...nce-Recipients

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 6:50 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:09 AM

^
i have no words... except perhaps to note that it at least appears to be more plumb than the information/directional sign behind it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton