HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 8:12 PM

An interesting one for the Heights.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ygc...Um8XKdo4X/view

7 Floors on Central Avenue, near the infamous Burger King.

356, 358, 360 Central and some of the lots on the street behind.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:00 PM

Arrow

And this mega one we already know about by Bayfront

https://jerseydigs.com/massive-high-...0-jersey-city/

The Planning Board meeting will be lit!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 12:07 AM

630ft Journal Squared Phase 3 coming soon. Oct/Nov

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 10:21 PM

425 Summit

To break round this year. 26 floors and 305 feet. Some good photos to be had if Journal Squared and this one rise together like those two on Marin.

https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-p...summit-avenue/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 10:56 PM

425 Summit looks pretty good. And great news about Journal Squared Phase III.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 12:21 AM
Show me the blueprints

Nice base. Solid design all around.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 7:59 PM

I hate seeing this thread falling to the second page.

So here is a link to something called The Cottage. I'm guessing Jersey Digs has already featured this. https://data.jerseycitynj.gov/api/da...et_122820_pdf/

There is also a 10-floor building planned for 220-228 Monticello Drive with 304 units.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 3:33 PM

Thanks C... just wish you were here more excitedly delivering development news you catch from your sources on the web. Love mid rise development, even a lot of five/six story projects in my immediate area with over 100 units(West Side area here).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 3:44 PM

I do miss it citybooster. Maybe not the high rent, poor conditions of the affordable housing stock or winters, but I do miss it!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 3:55 PM

Yeah, keep posting. Love to hear the news from west of the Hudson.

JC has a ton of towers in development and any news on the bigger projects is super welcome. And the little stuff is interesting too.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 4:36 PM

I do see though that they're playing games again regarding the other Kushner development(whatever it's called now). They made another big production of reconciling with the city and getting new plans approved..this time slightly smaller because the office part of their earlier plans fell apart with WeWork bailing out(though they turned out to be a mess of a company as is, we won't miss them...good riddance). But while C did tell us fairly recently the third and final tower of Journal Squared was going to start construction this fall... crickets on this twin tower debacle.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 12:42 AM

819 West Side Avenue will be full of ghost kitchens

"The Applicant is proposing a restaurant facility with 23 separate commercial kitchens providing exclusively off-site delivery of prepared foods to the local community. The Property is located in a Neighborhood Commercial Zone and consists of an approximate 14,015 square foot building that recently housed a restaurant known as Fiesta Grill on the ground floor and in the basement. The proposed use will occupy the basement, ground floor and second floor. The proposed use is permitted. Only minimal exterior changes to the facade are proposed."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 12:53 AM

Some cool stuff here about The Cove

Image from Ennead Architects at https://www.ennead.com/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 5:36 AM

Going on the site have just two real concerns, though I love the project overall. It lauds the self contained aspect...everything residents and workers may need within a 15 minute walk. I don't want an insular, isolated community. It's so close to other neighborhoods and it promotes itself as a beacon for tech, science, environment and sustainability it really shouldn't be intimating those in it shouldn't consider themselves part of the Jersey City fabric as a whole, though I don't believe it comes from an intentional motivation.. and NO affordable requirements at all. Big developments like this should be around 25% low/moderate income.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Going on the site have just two real concerns, though I love the project overall. It lauds the self contained aspect...everything residents and workers may need within a 15 minute walk. I don't want an insular, isolated community. It's so close to other neighborhoods and it promotes itself as a beacon for tech, science, environment and sustainability it really shouldn't be intimating those in it shouldn't consider themselves part of the Jersey City fabric as a whole, though I don't believe it comes from an intentional motivation.. and NO affordable requirements at all. Big developments like this should be around 25% low/moderate income.
It’s a very tricky site to develop. It’s practically a no man’s land now so I view this development as increasing connectivity. I’m going to give the site plan another look though. Perhaps more can be done to integrate into the surrounding neighborhood.

I’ve also been giving more and more thought about affordable housing. I honestly believe this should be government funded and not as an extraction on the private sector. The latter just increases the cost of developments overall. Governments (local, state, federal) have all been skirting their responsibilities as of late. Allow unlimited tax credit housing for example. That’s one of the few programs that actually work but the government limits where housing can be built and it’s always in some shitty suburban destination away from jobs and transit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:44 PM

Giving the site plan another look, I don't see it at all being closed off. The majority of the site fronts Jersey Ave. It connects with Aetna Street. There is a pedestrian walkway that would connect to a future Jersey City Medical Center redevelopment.

It's also worth a look at what the area looks like now.
https://goo.gl/maps/s744gZY914JzNpjv5

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:54 PM

Journal Squared 2 Shatters Leasing Records in Just Five Months

Quote:
Journal Squared, a prolific and transformative three-building apartment complex in Jersey City, New Jersey, has just broken leasing records for the state. Development partners, KRE Group and National Real Estate Advisors, LLC, on behalf of a client, opened the complex’s second and largest tower in May 2021 and have since leased all 704 luxury apartment units. This is perhaps the most torrid leasing pace for a building over 250 apartments the state of New Jersey has ever seen.
Good job guys!

Full (promotional) article here: http://tapinto.net/towns/jersey-city...st-five-months

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 2:23 PM

No doubt the project is not PHYSICALLY cut off from the neighborhoods, my problem is in their promotions it emphasizes everything residents need is within the confines of the neighborhood. Newport isn't physically cut off either, but for a long time the development acted like it was a separate entity. I hope this vibrant, exciting new neighborhood embraces the community... not takes it for granted, is in it but not part of it.

As for the current look of the area going to be developed, that is going to be a very impressive transformation. That's going to be a spectacular effort in itself, especially in its environmentally all-sustainable energy sourcing. and infrastructure. I do think government should do much more and not place the onus squarely on companies regarding affordable housing, but developers shouldn't ignore it either. Not when development pushes rents and property values up higher than many can afford. It's done in other cities, even many of New York City's developments are embracing 20-30% affordable units on site. Big developers can take the hit...they still will have a the vast majority of units coming in at market value. and this one has a huge tech/commercial component money will come in through that aspect. Hopefully innovative solutions involving public/private initiatives will start becoming more pronounced here as affordable housing solutions just cannot continue to be avoided. But I do agree it can't only fall on developers, it has to also be a main priority of state and local governments.

Did you see "The Cottage" got approved by the Planning Board, btw? No affordables(of course) but still 669 units as the latest part of the Homestead project around Journal Square. It's really starting to come together there... one of the towers is built already! When, oh when are the other Kushners going to finally start One Journal Square, which last year they revived again and supposedly worked out their problems with Jersey City. Weren't they supposed to start by JUNE? Almost October now... and as you wrote, the third tower in Journal Squared is going to start construction soon this fall. They can do this, what's stopping the other Kushners from getting a move on? And God knows what will happen with the tower they had planned to be fronted by the current Jersey Journal building.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
No doubt the project is not PHYSICALLY cut off from the neighborhoods, my problem is in their promotions it emphasizes everything residents need is within the confines of the neighborhood. Newport isn't physically cut off either, but for a long time the development acted like it was a separate entity. I hope this vibrant, exciting new neighborhood embraces the community... not takes it for granted, is in it but not part of it.
Gotcha. I'm a big believer in mixed-use, and I think more communities should strive to provide everything needed rather than forcing residents to travel from one area to another. It reduces traffic congestion by reducing the amount of car trips that need to be made. But because it's not physically separated, there is still going to plenty of folks coming here (it's right next to the light rail stop) and going to other parts of Jersey City like Grove Street where most of the night life remains and New York City, of course. The difference is people aren't force to leave, but have the option to do so. People aren't physically excluded, but can simply walk over.

Quote:
As for the current look of the area going to be developed, that is going to be a very impressive transformation. That's going to be a spectacular effort in itself, especially in its environmentally all-sustainable energy sourcing. and infrastructure. I do think government should do much more and not place the onus squarely on companies regarding affordable housing, but developers shouldn't ignore it either. Not when development pushes rents and property values up higher than many can afford. It's done in other cities, even many of New York City's developments are embracing 20-30% affordable units on site.
Honestly, renting in NYC sucks and the whole housing lottery process is ridiculous. There has got to be a better way. I would love to see a return to naturally affordable housing. For example, eliminating the R-1 zoning and allowing the construction of 2-4 unit townhomes in all parts of the city would do more for housing affordability than anything else. The problem is the NIMBYs will complaint about street parking. But can you imagine opening up tens of thousands of existing homes that the homeowner voluntarily can legally renovate into a 2 unit building. It will help pay the taxes and mortgage, and will offer housing solutions within the $1,000 a month range or less.

Quote:
Did you see "The Cottage" got approved by the Planning Board, btw? No affordables(of course) but still 669 units as the latest part of the Homestead project around Journal Square. It's really starting to come together there... one of the towers is built already! When, oh when are the other Kushners going to finally start One Journal Square, which last year they revived again and supposedly worked out their problems with Jersey City. Weren't they supposed to start by JUNE? Almost October now... and as you wrote, the third tower in Journal Squared is going to start construction soon this fall. They can do this, what's stopping the other Kushners from getting a move on? And God knows what will happen with the tower they had planned to be fronted by the current Jersey Journal building.
Journal Square is going to be one of the coolest, most diverse and densely populated neighborhoods in North America. I did make it back to Jersey City a few months ago, and I can already see the positive changes happening. I hope the current truncated version of One Journal Square falls and we see something really special on that site.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 7:42 PM

I've been looking for the big, big developments, but not much has been proposed recently. Probably spooked a little about the pandemic.

However, there is a cool 5-storey building planned on Pavonia. Looks like it would replace two, two unit housing will be replaced by 26 unit building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations