HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 5:07 PM

Wowee! Maximum tower heights of 50, 60, 70, and 80 storeys. And a rather dense development, too, despite the green space. We might as well get it used to it. In the decades to come, this will be the norm.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 5:19 PM

[QUOTE=Redtruck;10178801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
You can see that there are 12 storey podiums next to the 80 storey towers
- I doubt those would allow for expansive (mall-like) retail spaces at grade.

How do you vote against this proposal? They Just want to cram more and more people which means more crowded park schools etc. Plus getting rid of the mall is a terrible idea... This area will already be dense enough. I really hope this gets voted down, stick with the original plan.
I don't have time to read the whole Report to Council, but I think there is more to this:

https://pub-burnaby.escribemeetings....edium=referral

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
A rezoning application has been received in order to advance a master plan amendment for the Brentwood Site Conceptual Master Plan to incorporate inclusionary rental requirements, day-care provisions, and a neighbourhood park into the plan. The application also proposes to designate the northeast corner of Willingdon Avenue and Lougheed Highway for high-density mixed-use in the Brentwood Town Centre Development Plan, to bring the site into conformity with the surrounding core area and Provincial legislation. This report is seeking authority for staff to undertake a public consultation process to receive public input on the amended Brentwood Site Conceptual Master Plan.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck View Post
Quote:
You can see that there are 12 storey podiums next to the 80 storey towers
- I doubt those would allow for expansive (mall-like) retail spaces at grade.
How do you vote against this proposal? They Just want to cram more and more people which means more crowded park schools etc. Plus getting rid of the mall is a terrible idea... This area will already be dense enough. I really hope this gets voted down, stick with the original plan.
You should be asking for schools and more public access park areas to be included within these complexes then, rather than complaining about the density. Density in some form or shape is needed, whether this means transforming industrial land and SFH into medium- to higher-density complexes or increasing density in already-high density-zoned areas.

Have you even stepped foot into the mall recently (the old portion which will get torn down whether or not the towers are 25 or 80 storeys)? It's basically dead except for the London Drugs. The new part isn't getting torn down, so not sure what you are complaining about.

I went to the open house a few days ago and although it is a bit of a generalization, it seemed like there was a high NIMBY turnout. Hope I was wrong.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:20 AM

Inside Tap & Barrel's new three-level location with a stunning rooftop patio
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tap-...rentwood-patio

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Inside Tap & Barrel's new three-level location with a stunning rooftop patio
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tap-...rentwood-patio
Now they only need a Cactus club at Brentwood to complete the holy trio.

But seriously, do Canadian-born ppl only eat at Cactus Club, Browns, and Earls?

I never see people in the Korean-immigrants community go to these restaurants because Korean food is already so competitive in Vancouver. But I always see the Asians/Indians/Whites that are born here going to these restaurants every weekend.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpark View Post

I never see people in the Korean-immigrants community go to these restaurants because Korean food is already so competitive in Vancouver. But I always see the Asians/Indians/Whites that are born here going to these restaurants every weekend.
Cactus Club pulled out and Tap & Barrel took their spot. I m betting they will move into Gilmore Place since their current location will be redeveloped soon.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:33 AM

Quote:

That’s funny you say that, a Canadian born Taiwanese girl I know couldn’t stop gushing about this opening on her Facebook. And of course all her other pics are from drink nights at Cactus Club…

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:55 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:

It's probably a bit more nuanced than that.

I'm sure its popularity leans more to locals as they grew up with it ie. familiar comfort food, but it depends. I never go to these places, even though I grew up here, yet my wife and her work friends, who are all recent immigrants from Taiwan/China/Korea/Vietnam, love going to CC for wine and some share plates. They all met up at Metrotown's Cactus Club last weekend in fact.

I did go to the CC on Burrard for a business lunch last year, and it was actually pretty good. I haven't back since though. So many other options at a way better value.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:

It's the kind of atmosphere kids grow up here don't get to experience in Korean restaurants (or other ethnic F&Bs), such as:

1. Servers with tattoos and piercings who speak their language and culture
2. Kim Kardashian West-coast Cali-style/Usher fashion sense for folks/customers there they feel at home with
3. Sports Bar especially at game nights
4. The updated and hip environment
5. Avoidance at being termed a FOB by being seen at these establishments for the IG crowd

Of course, people who are perfectly comfortable in their own skin, and real food lovers will explore and dine in all types of restaurants, but that's usually not the case for those at their impressionable age.

I'm glad Brentwood has the variety to please all types of diners.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:27 PM

My wife and I were at Brentwood last night. While I hate the adjacent areas compared to Lougheed/Burquitlam, Brentwood itself looks amazing. We were talking about how in 10 years, if Burquitlam Plaza doesn't get redeveloped, we should move to Brentwood lol.

To be honest those Lougheed towers are a different product completely IMO. If B Plaza turns into a walkable area with shops, I would love to stay where I am long term. Burquitlam and Lougheed are surrounded by nature. But I really want more shops in or around North Road. It's still a bit of a wasteland compared to what I saw at Brentwood last night.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:11 AM

Driving north on Willingdon Saturday, great view of the towers.. started wondering what all the white things were on the side of the very dark tower.. finally realized it's cheap patio furniture on the balconies.. it looks SO bad!

Ron.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Driving north on Willingdon Saturday, great view of the towers.. started wondering what all the white things were on the side of the very dark tower.. finally realized it's cheap patio furniture on the balconies.. it looks SO bad!

Ron.
Not as bad as the one random unit that decides to line their entire patio with LED strip lights.

Old Posted Today, 2:48 AM

Surely, surely, surely Haidilao will be opening soon? It's hard to believe that businesses like it and Suit Supply can eat not opening for not just months, but years!

Old Posted Today, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Surely, surely, surely Haidilao will be opening soon? It's hard to believe that businesses like it and Suit Supply can eat not opening for not just months, but years!

I was told they were aiming for before end of April.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley