HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:54 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
This should be a concern nationwide, its definitely not just Philly. I saw a brief segment on Chicago's latest attempts to reduce gun violence and the footage shown could have easily been Philadelphia- carjackings, gang violence, shootouts with cops, etc. And just like in Philadelphia its not like all of this stuff is simply bad guys shooting at bad guys.

I agree with the sentiment on the current mayor, but we do have to acknowledge most large cities have been seeing increase in violent crime over the past few years- although unlike Philly Chicago has reduced murders and shootings by a decent clip in 2022. Its pretty sad that Kenney has not launched ONE significant crime related initiative in 6 years.
I agree that it is nationwide surge. It does seem like the "leadership" of this city seems paralyzed to do anything about it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
I agree that it is nationwide surge. It does seem like the "leadership" of this city seems paralyzed to do anything about it.
Agreed. I wouldn’t expect much to change until perhaps the next mayoral administration. Will be a very important race and election for the city.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 3:41 PM

CDR Submissions for November are up! Including a 12-story 4040 Walnut

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Sucks to see another self-storage proposal on such a large parcel N American St. It's pretty far up there but still - we should hope for it to be mixed-use residential all the way up to Lehigh. Everything else in CDR is fine though.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
If this was being built on any vacant lot in Philadelphia I would be praising it. It's actually somewhat nice looking. But not at all better than the historic building that's currently there.

Maybe it's worth it in the end though, because this has prompted a strong response from locals who now are looking to organize a historic district for the area. Campus Apartments owns so many early 19th century homes in the area that must be preserved.

I can't bring myself to make the thread.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
If this was being built on any vacant lot in Philadelphia I would be praising it. It's actually somewhat nice looking. But not at all better than the historic building that's currently there.

Maybe it's worth it in the end though, because this has prompted a strong response from locals who now are looking to organize a historic district for the area. Campus Apartments owns so many early 19th century homes in the area that must be preserved.

100%
If nothing is done, this area of Walnut and Chestnut will just be boring boxes (mostly value engineered) all around. Fine with those on an empty lot but not tearing down what makes West Philly unique.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
100%
If nothing is done, this area of Walnut and Chestnut will just be boring boxes (mostly value engineered) all around. Fine with those on an empty lot but not tearing down what makes West Philly unique.
For Christ's sake, half of this floorplan is already an existing surface lot. Make it a 15 story tower without tearing down the historic structures!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 5:43 PM
Chris

General (good) business news...

Large law firm leaving Cira Centre for expanded space at One Liberty
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

The firm will occupy the 32nd and 33rd floors, which equal just over 48,000 square feet, when it makes the move next year.

Martini said the firm explored staying at Cira Centre, moving out of the city or to Center City. In the end, he said Holland & Knight wanted to make a commitment to Philadelphia.

Holland & Knight lawyers are asked to come into the office twice a week — every Tuesday and Wednesday so they can interact in person.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

I dont see the link on the CDR page can you post it here?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:02 PM

Why are storage facilities still allowed to rise along North American Street? Everything between Girard and Indiana should be zoned at LEAST CMX-3, with a few IRMX parcels to preserve some of the former factory buildings. Storage facilities do not belong on this transitioning corridor. If this needs to be on North American, then build it next to the Conrail ROW.

Everything else looks fine. I especially like the redesigned 1901 W. Westmoreland Street proposal. 404 Walnut isn't showing up for me, however.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:31 PM

3800-14 and 3816-40 Market Street is on the agenda as well.

"Gross Square Footage: 1,003,189 total square feet in two phases
Uses: Research, development, and office
Parking: 780 vehicular parking spaces"

4040 Walnut is not listed on the agenda.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:36 PM

It seems as if though both the 4040 Walnut proposal and 3800 Market are both not on the homepage. Not sure of 3800 Market but 4040 Walnut was definitely up at one point.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post

4040 Walnut is not listed on the agenda.
I looked at it when Summers said it was there. It looks like they uploaded a second version 2

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 8:27 PM

They had 4040 Walnut up for a couple of hours. Looks like they uploaded a version 2 agenda which removed 4040 Walnut, but added 3800 & 3816 Market which are the next uCity Square projects…. So that’s nice to see. Looks like they haven’t uploaded the submission PDF for those projects yet though.

Still, looks like Rising Real Estate was able to get some snippets of 4040 Walnut before they took it down:
http://www.rising.realestate/136-uni...iversity-city/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 8:31 PM

Very eagerly awaiting to see the submission for 38th and Market... 1M sf of lab office space is huge.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
100%
Absolutely. It's the slow trickle of allowing demolition in cases like this that sets a dangerous precedent. If no one pays attention to the trend, it'll only occur to people after the fact that developers went too far.

Well-preserved historic architecture is a critical asset that the city CANNOT afford to keep losing like this. It's completely careless and unimaginative.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:07 PM

Phillies VS Padres 10/22/2022 by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
What a game last night!

Last edited by TK2001; Oct 23, 2022 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:07 PM

Update: 12-Story Mixed-use Apartment Tower Proposed at 41st & Walnut

Project site:

Project renderings:

Quote:
Plans call for the demolition of three Walnut-facing buildings, with a 12-story, mixed-use tower to take their place. Featuring dark brick along the ground level, the upper portion of the tower is a mix of different shades of neutral paneling, with plenty of glass to complete the contemporary look. 136 units will make up those upper floors, with two commercial spaces taking up the ground floor along Walnut, and an office space taking up the entirety of the second floor. Campus Apartments will be taking up the office space here, which won’t be much of a move from their main office which sits immediately across the street from this project.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...at-41st-walnut

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Phillies VS Mets 10/22/2022 by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
What a game last night!
Let's go Phillies! Great shot TK

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:12 PM

4040 Walnut Street CDR Submission (before it was removed) PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20221018...1-2022-CDR.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations