HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:24 PM

This popular Scottsdale pizzeria is coming to Roosevelt Row.

Another pizza joint, IL Bosco Pizza, coming to Roosevelt Row!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ix/6339897002/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:58 PM

Has anyone been there? I'd be interested in trying the place. Wonder what ever happened with EVO.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Has anyone been there? I'd be interested in trying the place. Wonder what ever happened with EVO.
Nice! I was thinking there needs to be a pizza place on the Row. But i was thinking more like a Ziggy's where it's primarily to-go slides or full pizzas maybe with some outside seating.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Nice! I was thinking there needs to be a pizza place on the Row. But i was thinking more like a Ziggy's where it's primarily to-go slides or full pizzas maybe with some outside seating.
Did Tammie Coe's Hot Daizy Pizza ever open? They were supposed to sell by the slice

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...oe/5011493002/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:26 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Did Tammie Coe's Hot Daizy Pizza ever open? They were supposed to sell by the slice

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...oe/5011493002/
I've seen work occurring at the site, but I don't think the place has opened yet.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I never understood Phoenix in that way. Why does everything have to be fancy?

In my short time in Chicago I got spoiled. Every block has places to buy a slice of pizza or a sandwich of some sort (hot dogs are sandwiches) and eat it on the run.

Why is there a market for a dozen sit down pizza shops but not for one take-away slice shop?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I've seen work occurring at the site, but I don't think the place has opened yet.
No, not yet. You have wait for an approved from city council.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 9:17 PM
self-important urbanista

I tried the new Blanco downtown today. It was okay. It's definitely semi-gringoized but well-prepared. You can go a mile or two in any direction for more authentic Mexican food, but it will appeal to convention attendees and sports fans. Unfortunately, both are in short supply right now, so the place was mostly empty. The good news is there's plenty of outdoor seating and good ventilation, so it's a pretty safe choice .

Across the street, I was pleased to see that Pala is making progress. I had wondered if the project would survive the pandemic, but apparently it's going forward.

Around the corner on First Street, there's a space next to Cartel that use to house Kaleidoscope juice bar. The sign on the door indicates its a coming location for Morning Squeeze, a breakfast place with existing locations in Scottsdale and Tempe.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 9:39 PM

I first tried Blanco in Tucson at La Encantada back in probably 2005, thought it was enjoyable. But yes, it's definitely a stretch to call it Mexican. I can't really think of any good Mexican food in downtown Phoenix. It would be great if something like Via Delosantos would open downtown. Matador was always great for that rice/beans kind of Mexican.

Is there anything that stands out about the new Blanco? My friend did all the metal work in the restaurant - he does almost all the Fox RC builds - and wants me to check it out but I don't really want to go out to a restaurant with all the dire warnings from everyone.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 9:49 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
I first tried Blanco in Tucson at La Encantada back in probably 2005, thought it was enjoyable. But yes, it's definitely a stretch to call it Mexican. I can't really think of any good Mexican food in downtown Phoenix. It would be great if something like Via Delosantos would open downtown. Matador was always great for that rice/beans kind of Mexican.

Is there anything that stands out about the new Blanco? My friend did all the metal work in the restaurant - he does almost all the Fox RC builds - and wants me to check it out but I don't really want to go out to a restaurant with all the dire warnings from everyone.
It's bright, colorful, and cheerful. I didn't walk around the interior to check out all the details, but I saw lots of decor on the walls. The restaurant does a great job of addressing the street. It has patio seating on both Washington and 2nd Streets and an indoor/outdoor bar facing Washington. I was alone at the outdoor bar with so much breeze that I felt more cold than COVID.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 9:52 PM

Blanco is a Sam Fox restaurants It has never claimed to be nor intended to be classic or traditional authentic Mexican food.

of course the debate over what counts as "real" Mexican food is just exhausting because some people mean old school sit down restaurants, some people mean hole-in-the-wall taco stands and burrito joints and others refuse to call it good unless it comes from a pop up tent and trailer off of 36th Ave and Indian school.

Hearing people from western states debate about what is good or not good or real or not real Mexican food is as obnoxious as new Yorkers debating pizza.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 9:57 PM

I'm really sorry my opinions about Mexican food make you so unhappy.

I'm not really trying to start a debate with anyone. I just don't think Downtown Phoenix has any good Mexican food and would love if something opened. Is Canyon Cafe on the good end of Tex Mex? I don't think so. Is Federico's on Central a good taco shop? not really. I guess Taco Boys is pretty decent, so maybe there's one good Mexican restaurant - in my opinion - downtown. You can break "mexican food" into as many sub-genres as you want, I don't think someone on foot in the center of downtown Phoenix has any good options.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:01 PM

Anyone's opinion on Mexican food is instantly voided if they don't mention Taco Chelo or Centrico in their downtown list.

Seriously, y'all should try the Red Chilaquiles at Centrico. Pretty damn good. You're welcome

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:01 PM

I said nothing about your opinion on Mexican food,

I said the debate about Mexican food is as obnoxious as Pizza because what everyone likes or prefers or considers quality Mexican food or "correct" Mexican food is irreconcilably different.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Anyone's opinion on Mexican food is instantly voided if they don't mention Taco Chelo or Centrico in their downtown list.

Seriously, y'all should try the Red Chilaquiles at Centrico. Pretty damn good. You're welcome
I've head Taco Chelo is good but out of principle I do not give money to Aaron Chamberlain, he's awful to his staff and there are too many good people to support in this town for me to choose one that can't take care of people who helped him build his business.

Centrico is the first one to stick in the revolving door restaurant space in San Carlos, right?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Here are more options:

Lola's Tacos, a taco truck that parks every weekday at 3rd St. & Jackson. They have al pastor and carne asada every day and weekly specials like frijoles a la olla and flautas ahogadas. They're no seating on site, but I usually take my food one block to the pavilion outside Bank One Ballpark, sit on a bench, and enjoy my food there.

Taco Boy's (Yes, that's how they use the apostrophe.) at 7th St & Roosevelt. I love the barbacoa there, and it's even better fajita style with peppers and onions.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Here's another option: Lola's Tacos, a taco truck that parks every weekday at 3rd St. & Jackson. They have al pastor and carne asada every day and weekly specials like frijoles a la olla and flautas ahogadas. They're no seating on site, but I usually take my food one block to the pavilion outside Bank One Ballpark, sit on a bench, and enjoy my food there.
I've been meaning to try! How are they?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:13 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
I've been meaning to try! How are they?
Definitely good food and a good value.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I've head Taco Chelo is good but out of principle I do not give money to Aaron Chamberlain, he's awful to his staff and there are too many good people to support in this town for me to choose one that can't take care of people who helped him build his business.

Centrico is the first one to stick in the revolving door restaurant space in San Carlos, right?
I can't speak to Aaron's handling of his staff but I'll happily give my money (even if it's a smaller %) to Chef Suny and Gennaro.

Yeah, that's the one. Pretty great food, should give the Chilaquiles a try.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:14 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

Yes, and it's really good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest