HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:46 AM

Great vantage. Can't wait for spring already.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:54 AM

November 27

Flying into Midway

November 29

Pretty cool how the different shades of glass look lit up

December 2

Gradient looks pretty smooth from the Orange Line. Apologies for the poor quality

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Great shots gandalf612.

The shades of the glass, with that dark, royal blue at night. Somebody mentioned how it captures the river, and I think it was a good choice how the facade not only captures the river during the day, but how it appears at night, as the lights reflect onto the water surface, creating patches of dark blue, with a dim cyan color almost.

Its one thing to make a tower work in the day, but at night, with the intention of matching the hues, fine work. The ripples in the facade seem to scatter light and create shadow in a way that makes it work, from the looks of it.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
November 27

Flying into Midway
This image makes me wish I could fly around Chicago and see if there's a spot where the five big skyscrapers (Sears, 401 N Wabash, Aon, Vista, and Hancock) are all exactly the same height.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

You might want to consider investing in a Martin Jetpack. Might be just what your looking for. Just make sure to have enough fuel.

http://dolchino.com/images/gadgets/jetpack/pack1.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Dec 6, 2019 at 8:15 PM. Reason: please use hyperlinks for off topic unsourced images

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
What's up with those mechanical floors when looking at Vista from the South? In between the 2nd and 3rd tier, is part black and part glass. Looks kinda sloppy. Almost like an after thought.
this is a way more egregious sin to me than the blowthrough floor to be quite honest. why, after the colossal expense of this building, they decided to cheap out one of the most visible aspects of the design is beyond me, and i cant imagine it really would have cost that much extra to have continuous glass

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
this is a way more egregious sin to me than the blowthrough floor to be quite honest. why, after the colossal expense of this building, they decided to cheap out one of the most visible aspects of the design is beyond me, and i cant imagine it really would have cost that much extra to have continuous glass
It's no different than the "missing fin" on Aqua. This "break" in her designs seems to be a thing...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It's no different than the "missing fin" on Aqua. This "break" in her designs seems to be a thing...
I am becoming less of a Jeanne Gang fan now and I am worried about the design for the new Ohare terminal

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Dear Ms Gang,
Here is a perfect illustration on how to do aesthetically-pleasing mechanical level louver openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Building on left: No. Building on right: YES
via 1 Vandy thread.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Dec 6, 2019 at 8:15 PM. Reason: please use hyperlinks for off topic unsourced images

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Dear Ms Gang,
Here is a perfect illustration on how to do aesthetically-pleasing mechanical level louver openings.

Building on left: No. Building on right: YES
via 1 Vandy thread.
We keep proposing mechanical lovers like the building on the right in many of our projects, and they have been VE'd out of every single project. At least in this city developers don't seem to be interested in paying for them.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:32 PM

i hope someone captures some screen shots of the skyline during tonight's BEARS game!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
This image makes me wish I could fly around Chicago and see if there's a spot where the five big skyscrapers (Sears, 401 N Wabash, Aon, Vista, and Hancock) are all exactly the same height.
I'm flying around my Chicago model and it's hard to get the Sears tower to line up. haha.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 1:53 AM

Quote:
If that is her intent then it is a most unfortunate "thing". Glass louvers that matched the glass color and tint at the corresponding level would have been the best option but if that was too expensive and got VE'd out they could at least paint the mechanical elements a color that matches the glass at the corresponding level. Would you be able to see the difference? Most likely but they wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb that mares the rhythm of the overall design on the south side.

Compare Vista's mechanical levels to Trump Towers and it is a dramatic difference. In TT the mechanicals are masterfully done to follow the ascetic of the overall design and even enhance the rhythm of the setbacks.

The blow through floor appears to be being handled less than ideally as well. I believe it was LVDW who said the blow through would look best with silver screens. I agree as this would have better matched the silver glass that would have been here at the wide point in the frustum. Instead it looks like it is going to be black.

I was trying to with hold judgement until the project is complete and I am still hopeful this isn't the finished product. If it is it will be a missed opportunity and a lack of attention to detail in an otherwise stellar project. This building could have been an A+ with the proper attention to detail but it is looking like it may be an A-.

Compare this to Wolf Point East where the design is nice but not spectacular but the attention to detail is tremendous. Here at Vista the design is pretty spectacular but the details in some areas are lacking.

None of these black mechanical levels are shown in any of the renderings or models I have seen so I don't know what is the ultimate finished product. I can only hope this isn't it because there are so many other great things about this project (ground level interactions and connections, the stunningly beautiful and moody glass, the overall frustum design, the protruding clear glass portion on the north with the frustum shaped mullions, etc.).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:24 AM

Should the Vista been built on lsd plot where cirrus/cascade are being built. Any thoughts???

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 1:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
We keep proposing mechanical lovers like the building on the right in many of our projects, and they have been VE'd out of every single project. At least in this city developers don't seem to be interested in paying for them.
That's refreshing to hear. Don't give up!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp View Post
Should the Vista been built on lsd plot where cirrus/cascade are being built. Any thoughts???
The original plan of LSE includes the tallest building of the neighborhood, as a supertall, with wacker dr and pedestrian connection underneath it in the location vista is standing today

Personally I like it this way, excited for site I though

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:09 PM

It makes no sense to put the tallest bulidings fronting the lake. Why wouldn't you want to spread the views out to more buildings rather than fencing everyone else in with giant towers fronting the lake? We also get better skyline views this way as the buildings are ordered neatly by high to give them all some visibility. One of the defining features of our skyline is the wedding-cake style massing of rows of historic or lower buildings fronting the parks with larger and larger buildings rising up behind them. Think Drake-Palmolive-Hancock or the Michigan Ave Streetwall with Legacy or other MCM towers looming above.

The only thing that makes site I and the spire hole acceptable places for a 1000'+ tower is that they are the gates of the river. The current scheme for Site I is tall enough IMO, but I wouldn't mind if they slapped another 100-300' on it.

Vista is just perfect where it is, fronting the river and terminating Field Drive and McClug. It's also pretty freaking sweet to have a multi level road passing through the center of a supertall. I don't think that's a condition that exists anywhere else on earth. It's like one of those old pictures of people driving a Model T through a redwood...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
It makes no sense to put the tallest bulidings fronting the lake. Why wouldn't you want to spread the views out to more buildings rather than fencing everyone else in with giant towers fronting the lake? We also get better skyline views this way as the buildings are ordered neatly by high to give them all some visibility. One of the defining features of our skyline is the wedding-cake style massing of rows of historic or lower buildings fronting the parks with larger and larger buildings rising up behind them. Think Drake-Palmolive-Hancock or the Michigan Ave Streetwall with Legacy or other MCM towers looming above.
Agreed! I wish The Loop did a better job with this. We really could use a few 1000 footers in the heart of The Loop. I also wish we had a row of pre-war skyscrapers on the north and south ends of the park in front of the towers, but we can't change that now.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:34 PM

My heart cries for 7SD

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
My heart cries for 7SD
Me too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture