HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Were you shocked by any of the cities on the list or the order in which they appeared
Yes 9 39.13%
No 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Why are we talking about any Canadian cities in this thread?
why can't America Jr. participate in discussions about regular America?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
exactly, atlanta may be building a lot, but is more broadly spread out, where austin downtown is quite dramatic, particularly because it was just parking lots and nothing warehouses not very long ago.
Well, I live in Austin, and I can tell you that Atlanta definitely feels more urban than Austin. The spread of Atlanta development from downtown to the northern reaches (plus the monster airport and MARTA) creates a big city feel that is missing once you leave downtown Austin. Atlanta may fall more in the mode of a Los Angeles urban experience in that regard, so I guess that gets short shrift from a lot of folks on SSP.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:20 PM

Isn't Miami the number 2 city for highrise and skyscraper construction in the U.S? (3 in North America?)

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=4700

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Well, I live in Austin, and I can tell you that Atlanta definitely feels more urban than Austin. The spread of Atlanta development from downtown to the northern reaches (plus the monster airport and MARTA) creates a big city feel that is missing once you leave downtown Austin. Atlanta may fall more in the mode of a Los Angeles urban experience in that regard, so I guess that gets short shrift from a lot of folks on SSP.
When you say urban, are you talking about the size or the actual layout of the city? Atlanta (metro) feels way bigger than Austin, yes, but I think Austin has a much better urban grid than Atlanta.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I doubt any city in North America has more multi-family housing construction in progress now than NYC.
except Toronto is:

https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=98181050

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Why are we talking about any Canadian cities in this thread? It's a little aggravating that someone can't post a States-focused discussion without it being bombed by Canucks.
Because OP posted this is in the City discussion forum and not the US forum.
We discuss Canada only topic in the Canada forum and non-exclusive Canada topic in the City Discussion forum.
If you want US only discussion then head over the the US forum, it's there for a reason.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Atlanta (metro) feels way bigger than Austin, yes, but I think Austin has a much better urban grid than Atlanta.
Have you been to Atlanta? There are a few blocks downtown (area around the Westin and Suntrust, bracketed by the Olympic Park) that annihilate anything Austin can counter with. It's just that from midtown to Buckhead and beyond, it's about as bad as you think it is. It looks like midtown's improving but I think Buckhead might be a lost cause with that suburban layout.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
When you say urban, are you talking about the size or the actual layout of the city? Atlanta (metro) feels way bigger than Austin, yes, but I think Austin has a much better urban grid than Atlanta.
I guess it is a combination of both things for me. Atlanta is a much busier place overall, and it has more far-flung urban amenities. Atlanta has more of a grid than you might imagine in the core area, but it has developed along a spine of sorts that roughly runs along the Peachtree corridor. It some ways it resembles Wilshire Blvd in that respect or even Yonge St. in Toronto (I can already feel the hot breath of Toronto enthusiasts coming at me for that comparison). Austin has a decent grid downtown and north past UT, but has terrible east/west connectivity outside of downtown. Really just one street(Guadalupe) connects downtown past the UT area with any efficiency. The lack of east/west connectivity also plagues Austin south of downtown. If the Project Connect light rail and downtown subway actually happens, Austin might be on the way towards feeling like a real big city. Right now, it just feels like it has a booming downtown (multiple new skyscraper offerings) and university area (lots of 10 to 15 story private student housing), but the rest of the city mostly feels like any other low-rise sunbelt city, whereas Atlanta kind of has that LA thing going (LA with lots of trees and winding roads!) There are some charming areas in the close-in central core of Austin, but mostly Austin does not feel like a big city.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Have you been to Atlanta? There are a few blocks downtown (area around the Westin and Suntrust, bracketed by the Olympic Park) that annihilate anything Austin can counter with. It's just that from midtown to Buckhead and beyond, it's about as bad as you think it is. It looks like midtown's improving but I think Buckhead might be a lost cause with that suburban layout.
Of course I have, hence my comment lol.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Because OP posted this is in the City discussion forum and not the US forum.
We discuss Canada only topic in the Canada forum and non-exclusive Canada topic in the City Discussion forum.
If you want US only discussion then head over the the US forum, it's there for a reason.
Bingo!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:52 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
São Paulo and New York (city propers) growth rates are very similar, so they should be releasing relatively the same number of units to keep prices reasonable.

P.S. Guys, I know SP is in South America, but after 4 pages discussing every city in North America I just threw the number for comparison.
Thats not abnormal for SP, far more people live in apartment buildings. SP is a forest of midrise buildings. NYC is dense very tall buildings.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:02 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Why are we talking about any Canadian cities in this thread? It's a little aggravating that someone can't post a States-focused discussion without it being bombed by Canucks.
That's just so sad. I apologize on behalf of all Canadians. BUT, it is the way of things on SkyscraperPage forums. Man up.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Thats not abnormal for SP, far more people live in apartment buildings. SP is a forest of midrise buildings. NYC is dense very tall buildings.
Indeed, São Paulo is sea of highrises and midrises. However people don't realize that 64% of people in São Paulo (city proper) live in detached houses. I'm pretty sure New York City has more people living on apartments than São Paulo.

Obviously, virtually all new housing units are apartments as the municipality are all built up, except for the forest covered mountains on far north and the reservoirs on far south.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:56 PM
DENNAB

Maybe (hopefully) we're just between cycles but it surprises me how little the US (currently) builds in the way of skyscrapers and how unambitious they are (height/design). There are cool proposals but not enough execution.

I really hope this changes in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Maybe (hopefully) we're just between cycles but it surprises me how little the US (currently) builds in the way of skyscrapers and how unambitious they are (height/design). There are cool proposals but not enough execution.

I really hope this changes in the near future.
Just be glad that you're too young to remember the '90s/early '00s, the most boring time for big tower construction in north America since the '50s. Man was that ever a painful period to be a scraper-nerd in north America. Over the 14 year period from 1993 - 2007, only 4 towers over 800' were completed in all of the US/Canada (3 in NYC and 1 in Chicago).

The last handful of years has been the most exciting period of big tower construction in US/Canadian history, granted a good deal of it has been highly concentrated in NYC, Toronto and Chicago.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 10, 2022 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:41 AM

New York really woke up after 2014.

Barely a decade ago Chicago had numerous more and taller supertalls than NYC, that will likely never happen again. Crazy how fast that changed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:50 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Indeed, São Paulo is sea of highrises and midrises. However people don't realize that 64% of people in São Paulo (city proper) live in detached houses. I'm pretty sure New York City has more people living on apartments than São Paulo.

Obviously, virtually all new housing units are apartments as the municipality are all built up, except for the forest covered mountains on far north and the reservoirs on far south.
Yeah, I dont know those numbers for either, but it seems SP would have a higher percentage of aprtment dwellers. As most Brazilian cities have large numbers of apartment buildings. Point was NYC and SP are very different and I would expect SP to have more highrises under construction, but NYC to have the larger and taller projects.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I dont know those numbers for either, but it seems SP would have a higher percentage of aprtment dwellers. As most Brazilian cities have large numbers of apartment buildings. Point was NYC and SP are very different and I would expect SP to have more highrises under construction, but NYC to have the larger and taller projects.
Regardless height and number, I'd expect São Paulo and New York adding similar number of housing units every year as their city proper grows at very similar rates these days. And I'm not sure whether New York is building enough residential skyscrapers to compensate fewer highrises.

And there is no magic: without building a lot, high prices will become even higher. Said that, New York is doing a much better job building recently. It's nice to see all those skyscrapers rising.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 1:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think SP has more apartment dwellers than NYC. According to this link, only 16% of the housing stock in NYC is made up of single-family units, which sounds about right to me. That would mean the overall population living in single-family units in NYC is well below 10% of city residents.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
I don't think SP has more apartment dwellers than NYC. According to this link, only 16% of the housing stock in NYC is made up of single-family units, which sounds about right to me. That would mean the overall population living in single-family units in NYC is well below 10% of city residents.
Brazilian 2022 Census is happening right now and the first results will be available in December. The share of apartments will increase in São Paulo obviously, but I don't see them going way above 40% for now. So yes, even in absolute numbers, there are more apartments in New York than in São Paulo.

São Paulo looks a lot like Tokyo in this regard: from aerial pictures it seems there are only highrises/midrises, but houses are actually the majority of households. In Brazil, Porto Alegre, followed by Rio de Janeiro, are the ones with the highest share of apartments, but none of them above 50% (2010 Census).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions