HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:32 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Barts or Bartelbys
It's still got the sign of its latest name before it closed at the corner of Broad and 12th, "Barts on Broad". .

It also lets you know that it is "Home of the Bartlefeast".

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It's still got the sign of its latest name before it closed at the corner of Broad and 12th, "Barts on Broad". .

The stained glass mosaic skylight from Bartleby's is in a Milwaukee museum. It was "stolen" from an historic mansion and recovered in Regina after a lawsuit.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:29 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
The stained glass mosaic skylight from Bartleby's is in a Milwaukee museum. It was "stolen" from an historic mansion and recovered in Regina after a lawsuit.
Very interesting!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Barts or Bartelbys
Ahh yes that's it. Thanks. That place was so much fun, used to go there all the time after the LDC games.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Very interesting!
Quote:
The journey of two stained glass panels from Milwaukee to a Canadian pub illustrates the sometimes tricky path of provenance for historic architecture.
The two panels on display were originally part of a skylight in the Plankinton Mansion, allowing natural light from the ceiling of a third floor billiard parlor to filter in through beveled glass tesserae of color. When preparations were underway for the home’s demolition, the skylight was overlooked on the list of salvageable elements. This loophole opened a way for a savvy antique dealer to make a private deal with the Knights of Columbus for the skylight.
Eventually, the panels landed at auction and were purchased by the parent company of Bartleby’s Dining Emporium and Gathering Place in the province of Saskatchewan. It took a federal lawsuit for the Milwaukee Redevelopment Authority to reclaim the pieces now on view.
http://www.wisconsingazette.com/ente...0173c15cd.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:25 AM

Restaurant closings

I know it had been mentioned in here some time back, but I see Brewsters Albert South location is closed. Chili's on Victoria Avenue East is also closed - no surprise there as it was a terrible location: poor access and hardly visible from either Victoria Avenue or Prince of Wales Drive.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:35 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I know it had been mentioned in here some time back, but I see Brewsters Albert South location is closed. Chili's on Victoria Avenue East is also closed - no surprise there as it was a terrible location: poor access and hardly visible from either Victoria Avenue or Prince of Wales Drive.
Wasn't that Brewster's the rumoured location for a Hudsons Pub?

As for Chili's, did that place ever have all that much traction? Just seems like one of those chain places that gets lost in the mix (not to mention your location comments).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:04 AM

Chili's is a terrible restaurant. Vic East is oversaturated with restaurants. Bad food and bad location is a recipe for disaster

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:26 AM

Chili's has been for sale for over a year and still currently listed for all of $100,000. None of that is surprising.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Chili's is a terrible restaurant. Vic East is oversaturated with restaurants. Bad food and bad location is a recipe for disaster
I eat at Chili's in the Calgary airport all the time and it is fine. I think it was the location. Maybe management?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
As for Chili's, did that place ever have all that much traction? Just seems like one of those chain places that gets lost in the mix (not to mention your location comments).
I went there one time in 2007 when it opened. Never went back again. Surprised it lasted this long.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I eat at Chili's in the Calgary airport all the time and it is fine. I think it was the location. Maybe management?
I'm betting location. North side of Vic (east of Ring Road) seems tough for virtually anything that gives it a go. May just be my perception - but it always seems like it's the B team retail over there... A team is in the Quance cluster*#(&.

it's got a bit better in recent years - with more traffic on that side due to hotels & retail up PoW - but I can tell ya, I wouldn't be starting a retail or restaurant on that side of Vic.

It'll be interesting to see how Fuddruckers does. I was there on Sunday. Wasn't dead, but certainly didn't have the vibe the Sasktoon one has at virtually any day/time (I would've gone South Albert if I were the Fudd's franchisee... too much burger competition in the east, and most of it more accessible)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 7:51 PM

Dehli Belly

For those of you who like quality Indian food, there's a new restaurant in the east end which is very good, on the same level as Caraway. It's called Dehli Belly and a good option amongst a growing number of Indian restaurants.

https://www.facebook.com/DELHIBELLYINDIANCUISINE01/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
It's called Dehli Belly and a good option amongst a growing number of Indian restaurants.
[/URL]
Strong words. Caraway has set the bar pretty high.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Strong words. Caraway has set the bar pretty high.
Well the quality of the food was validated by two guys from India that I went with. But don't take my word for it, try it out and make your own judgement. I go to Caraway regularly so was able to do a good comparison.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:57 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
I didn't mention it before, but thanks for the extra info.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:

I've looked at that sign numerous times on my commute home & wondered if it will some day be heritage protected. Given the way Regina haphazardly slaps heritage designation on things, and the fact that the Barts sign has somehow escaped any damage in the 10-15years since it closed, I think it's starting to rival some heritage structures in this city.
[for clarity, I'm being sarcastic. but really, how has that sign not faded/had a rock tossed at it/etc? There are fully operational businesses with signs in worse shape]

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:34 AM

Malt city

I heard a rumour that there is a new restaurant going into where Malt City was, anyone have any intel if this is true, and if true what is the new restaurant?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
I heard a rumour that there is a new restaurant going into where Malt City was, anyone have any intel if this is true, and if true what is the new restaurant?
Most legit rumor I've heard is it's a group out of Saskatoon.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:00 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Most legit rumor I've heard is it's a group out of Saskatoon.
That'd be interesting... A little bit of cross-pollination with Leo's and Cathedral social hall going north recently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan