HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:43 PM

Remote work is not a new thing. In my small group at the former employer, one person moved from Winnipeg to SW Manitoba and was working 100% remotely for about 1.5 years prior to the pandemic. I play hockey with 2 IBM techs. They have been 100% remote for years now. Their boss is in California or something. People can work remotely if their employer approves.

My office downtown is at a 3 days a week in office preferred. How strictly that is enforced is another question. It's not. But the office is usually busy with activity. If you want to work from home, go for it. Just be available to meet with clients or generally to complete your duties.

Some people preferred to be in office 100%, others don't. So what's wrong with that?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Union is fighting it though! 2-3 days a week is what I heard. Caveat is if you live more than X distance from the office. I know one lady who moved to Lac Du Bonnet and another man who moved to Pinawa. Will they be allowed remote? Seems like a loophole
Either you can do the job remotely or you can't. If people who live out in the boonies can do the job from home then so can people who live in the city. And conversely if you believe that people need to be in the office for whatever reason, then you shouldn't be employing people who can't make it into the office. What problem is this trying to solve other than extremely wealthy corporate landlords want their tenants back? Oh Colliers lost some money? Cry me a river.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:22 PM

That's the beauty of WFH being a viable option. One could choose to wfh at all times, do a hybrid of 50% office 50% home, or just be in the office at all times. The choice can be made depending on your preferences which is the way it should be.

Just from my anecdotal experience of WFH I enjoyed it a lot because you don't have too worry about getting dressed, being late because of an accident along my commute, play video games during downtime, and best of all could wake up 5 minutes before my shift starts. If I want to go DT, I can go on my own time and enjoy the amenities it provides separate from my work time.

My aunt/uncle in Jersey also WFH and as a result have doubled the amount of time they travel simply because this working arrangement provides a location flexibility that has never been seen in human history. Of course people would jump on the opportunity to have that freedom, and that should be respected by the employers.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:35 PM
There is always a way

WFH certainly has the sheen, the veneer of something great, but I honestly think that in ten-years time, we'll find that it's been not the greatest for productivity. It will completely have destroyed any sense of collegiality among coworkers. People forget that we are in fact people and eventually that will manifest itself, even though it may not be evident at the moment.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
WFH certainly has the sheen, the veneer of something great, but I honestly think that in ten-years time, we'll find that it's been not the greatest for productivity. It will completely have destroyed any sense of collegiality among coworkers. People forget that we are in fact people and eventually that will manifest itself, even though it may not be evident at the moment.
lol what boomer nonsense is this. This is like when people say we're gonna miss out on the "workplace culture" haha. You have to wonder where on earth these people worked that the office was actually a fun and enjoyable place where they bonded with colleagues. No one under 40 wants to be friends with their coworkers, we have other avenues to pursue a social life. I like my coworkers more when I don't have to suffer through their BS in-person all day.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 4:26 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
lol what boomer nonsense is this. This is like when people say we're gonna miss out on the "workplace culture" haha. You have to wonder where on earth these people worked that the office was actually a fun and enjoyable place where they bonded with colleagues. No one under 40 wants to be friends with their coworkers, we have other avenues to pursue a social life. I like my coworkers more when I don't have to suffer through their BS in-person all day.
I am in my 20s. it's not about "workplace culture" as you put it, it's about the fact that we are inherently analog social creatures, and eventually the consequences of complete detachment from work will be felt. Flexibility isn't a bad thing to have. I am not against people having some flexibility to arrange how they work. What I am saying is that this isn't as straight forward as some people are putting it. I know I'm not the only one around here that doesn't work as well at home, plus the loss of the social aspect of work can create other issues.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Remote work is not a new thing. In my small group at the former employer, one person moved from Winnipeg to SW Manitoba and was working 100% remotely for about 1.5 years prior to the pandemic. I play hockey with 2 IBM techs. They have been 100% remote for years now. Their boss is in California or something. People can work remotely if their employer approves.

My office downtown is at a 3 days a week in office preferred. How strictly that is enforced is another question. It's not. But the office is usually busy with activity. If you want to work from home, go for it. Just be available to meet with clients or generally to complete your duties.

Some people preferred to be in office 100%, others don't. So what's wrong with that?
Have you dealt with the Feds since work from home? They need to be in the office. Productivity is way down.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:03 PM

Are the Feds ever productive? haha

That's the thing. If WFH works for your business, then great. If not, great. If people NEED to be in the office face to face for their own reasons, then that's what it is.

For me, consulting engineer. There are days and weeks where I go to the office and do not need to talk to anyone else. My work literally does not require it. Especially when working on projects, and with people, from other provinces or countries. Some people come to the office and never talk to other people because they don't need to. The only reason they are there is because "thou must use expensive office space".

Hijacking this thread a bit. Sorry.

Last edited by bomberjet; Dec 22, 2022 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:59 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Are the Feds ever productive? haha
Lmao

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 6:24 PM

And now...Back to the Topic of Wawanesa Tower nearing completion.Start a separate thread for the Topic of WFH...

Last edited by BAKGUY; Dec 22, 2022 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
And now...Back to the Topic of Wawanesa Tower nearing completion.
Work seems to be shifting more and more to interior work. Trucks have been delivering drywall, insulation, etc. Though I did see two unfortunate souls up on the roof yesterday, getting blasted by the wind. I hope they're getting paid well.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Work seems to be shifting more and more to interior work. Trucks have been delivering drywall, insulation, etc. Though I did see two unfortunate souls up on the roof yesterday, getting blasted by the wind. I hope they're getting paid well.
Nobody is getting paid well.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 6:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 4:40 PM

Welcome to 2023.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 4:48 PM

The building is looking great. Awesome pics.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 7:21 PM

thanks for the update Grump, that's an impressive amount of work that has taken place since your last update of Dec 20th considering the xmas holidays

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 7:48 PM

PCL will be begin dismantling the crane beginning on the 16th.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
PCL will be begin dismantling the crane beginning on the 16th.
Yup. Meant to post yesterday but got sidetracked. The actual dismantle isn't set until the 20th - 23rd, weather-depending, but the prep work begins on the 16th. Street closures in effect on Carlton with detours.

The Sutton site is getting cleaned up, now that they're shifting to internal work.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:58 PM
Mooderator

Good job, Grump. Thanks for the updates.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by

The Sutton site is getting cleaned up, now that they're shifting to internal work.

[IMG
https://i.postimg.cc/wMQ8MxVj/Sutton-site-20230112.jpg[/IMG]

Does that mean they're actually going to resume the stalled work on that site?
I don't remember seeing anything happen for several months.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan