HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:25 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...oral-1.5770088

As someone who used to take the bus every day, and still takes it downtown regularly. This seems like an ok idea, waiting on 11th avenue for a bus is not great and people walking on the sidewalk are often stuck behind people waiting for a bus... however, I am undecided if the Lorne street plan will improve anything. Anyone else have thoughts on the matter.

The walkway to the stadium seems like a no-brainer as it was supposed to be built anyway.
I find the panhandlers between Hamilton and Scarth create more congestion than the few people waiting for the bus.

Fougere says half a block, but for those that catch the bus in front of Hamilton/11th then it's more like three blocks and it is a crazy cold wind many days.

For the most part, I don't find it that bad. There's not much pedestrian traffic East/West on 11th anyway, most is North/South down Scarth and Cornwall to the park. They would probably need to realign Lorne as bi-directional again. Not sure it really buys them anything at all. More traffic by the library and park instead of the Cornwall which gives take out places like Tims a lot of traffic. I know I stop in to the Cornwall on the way home to grab something from Shoppers quite often. Would probably just hit the drug store closer to home if I'm pressed with an extra few minutes walk to Lorne.

It isn't going to stop me riding the bus, but I don't think it is that big a problem for the thirty minute rush in the morning and after work that there is any significant amount of people waiting for a bus.

My summary: waste of time and money for a problem that isn't really there.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:14 PM

Moving buses off 11th is just one more step to pushing people off the buses entirely. I'm not sure that's in the city's best interests.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I find the panhandlers between Hamilton and Scarth create more congestion than the few people waiting for the bus.

Fougere says half a block, but for those that catch the bus in front of Hamilton/11th then it's more like three blocks and it is a crazy cold wind many days.

For the most part, I don't find it that bad. There's not much pedestrian traffic East/West on 11th anyway, most is North/South down Scarth and Cornwall to the park. They would probably need to realign Lorne as bi-directional again. Not sure it really buys them anything at all. More traffic by the library and park instead of the Cornwall which gives take out places like Tims a lot of traffic. I know I stop in to the Cornwall on the way home to grab something from Shoppers quite often. Would probably just hit the drug store closer to home if I'm pressed with an extra few minutes walk to Lorne.

It isn't going to stop me riding the bus, but I don't think it is that big a problem for the thirty minute rush in the morning and after work that there is any significant amount of people waiting for a bus.

My summary: waste of time and money for a problem that isn't really there.
So I guess my perception is different because I already get on the bus close to Lorne and 11th, so the idea of a better waiting area on Lorne is attractive to me, as it doesn't really impact me negatively. I find the current waiting areas are often full, and of course in the cold of winter they are ok, but could be a lot better protection.

I find the congestion, and I notice this a lot, is right at 11th and Cornwall west of the Transit Office. There is congestion on the other side of the street but less so. However, the other side of the street highlights the issues with having 11th as the waiting area as I notice a lot of people have no where to sit in that area. I am undecided if the idea is a waste of money, however, I do somewhat disagree that there isn't a problem at all. I feel a better waiting area with protection from the weather would be an improvement.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:52 PM
arf

@Kegger: agreed that the interest is probably based on where you work and where you catch the bus. That will be the case for users. You are right, depending on which side of the street you are on can make a difference on perceived traffic as well.

But, moving it isn't going to make the waiting areas any better. Right now, people that know schedules can pop into the Cornwall for 5 minutes.

They just put in new shelters on 11th. Those weren't cheap and I can't imagine moving them is cost free. I just don't see moving it addressing a problem that exists outside of very limited times.

I suppose my snarky comment would be: heaven forbid that we have pedestrian traffic on a downtown street.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 7:48 PM

I think it makes sense to move the buses. If the city wants to help foster a retail district on 11th with available on street parking, then the buses don't make a ton of sense there. It's kind of cross purposes. The life at street level has slowly picked up on 11th, especially on the West end. Lorne Street would possibly offer a chance to use the supposed federal infrastructure money to build a purpose built hub and information kiosk with shelters repurposed from 11th. It wouldn't mean you can't have stops on 11th, just move the main transfer points. I think they could maintain the stops 11th and Cornwall and 11th and Hamilton with perhaps only strategic routes passing there, like the express routes. Future use could have them loop around to Sask Drive which would facilitate BRT routes that connected to Lewvan and Arcola. Just my two sense. We really need a proper hub and info kiosk. I'm thinking something similar to what Winnipeg has in their downtown. Just my two cents.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 5:27 PM
BANNED

The idea to move the buses is nothing but a plan to relocate undesirable people. I have both taken the bus and used the Cornwall Street parkade plenty of times in recent years. I see absolutely no issues that would be solved by moving the buses. We should be encouraging people to take the bus, not the opposite (we should also ban any future surface parking lots and disincentivize further commercial developments in the suburbs).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The idea to move the buses is nothing but a plan to relocate undesirable people. I have both taken the bus and used the Cornwall Street parkade plenty of times in recent years. I see absolutely no issues that would be solved by moving the buses. We should be encouraging people to take the bus, not the opposite (we should also ban any future surface parking lots and disincentivize further commercial developments in the suburbs).
Although I generally support what you are getting at, as a regular transit user and someone who lives in a suburban neighbourhood, I have to disagree with both of your points. While there is probably some truth to your point about undesirable people, I can personally attest to the fact that transferring on 11th is not a very pleasant experience. As I mentioned, 11th should be developed as a retail and restaurant district with on street parking, as well as Hamilton, Scarth and parts of Victoria and Smith to support and compliment what is already there. It may be years away, but I support what Namarind wants to do on 11th and Lorne and bus hub with sound design principles could be built with future residential presence in mind. That's a big one, we need to increase the numbers of those living downtown in all income brackets. Rose and Broad is a great place for that. as well. The bus hub on Lorne wouldn't hinder much either as there is currently no active street level uses on the East side of the block anyway.

I live in The Towns and I support the retail on Chuka a lot. I believe the Greens/Towns area is the closest thing Regina has to the concept of the "15 minute city". I can walk to get supper, groceries, drugstore, library, gym, yoga, doctor, dentist etc. Also with the increase in industrial tenants East of bypass such as AGT and more to come in the future, one could bike or drive to work in 5 minutes. So yeah, I support suburban retail if done right. I also use transit to get to work in the South end and frequently use it to support downtown businesses as well. Contrary to popular belief, I can get to work or downtown from my East end home on 1 bus without transfer. I think we can build a better downtown and also support walkable neighbourhoods, as long as we continue to invest in transit. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 8:54 PM
BANNED

I’m just saying suburban developments shouldn’t happen to the detriment of other areas of the city, as has been the case since the 60s. This is a city, not a free market. We should be developing a sustainable city for citizens, not for shareholders in Toronto, New York or China. But then again, this city lacks leadership so here we are.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 8:57 PM
BANNED

I’m not against suburban developments and I agree the Greens is an improvement. I just wish we did developments in a smarter, more well-thought out and sustainable way. You know, instead of kicking the can down the road.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I support what Namarind wants to do on 11th and Lorne
So you support a scam?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I’m not against suburban developments and I agree the Greens is an improvement. I just wish we did developments in a smarter, more well-thought out and sustainable way. You know, instead of kicking the can down the road.
We definitely agree on principle I think. The vison of city hall leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps we will see some new blood and fresh ideas in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
So you support a scam?
I'm talking about the concept of a mixed income residential tower, with a food store on ground level as something that would be beneficial to the long term vitality of downtown. I'm not endorsing Namarind, or their business plan, per se. But really, man. You're such a troll on here and you literally never have anything good to say. Piss off, already.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about the concept of a mixed income residential tower, with a food store on ground level as something that would be beneficial to the long term vitality of downtown. I'm not endorsing Namarind, or their business plan, per se. But really, man. You're such a troll on here and you literally never have anything good to say. Piss off, already.
If you don't like criticism of your bad ideas, stay off the internet.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
If you don't like criticism of your bad ideas, stay off the internet.
Judging by your track record on here, it would appear that everybody except you has nothing but bad ideas. It's very clear that you follow a pattern of alternating between criticizing others and attempting to impress with your "insider" knowledge. That's ok, you do you bud, if it makes you happy.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:50 PM

Masters has come out this week to talk about her first major infrastructure spend: a new aquatic centre by 2024. There is a ton of space between New Mosaic and the old Taylor Field. They could put a replacement next to the Lawson. Great possibilities considering lots of demand for indoor pools, a waterpark and competitive lanes. This would be year round instead of Fougere's dream in Wascana.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Judging by your track record on here, it would appear that everybody except you has nothing but bad ideas. It's very clear that you follow a pattern of alternating between criticizing others and attempting to impress with your "insider" knowledge. That's ok, you do you bud, if it makes you happy.
As opposed to your lack contribution, writ large.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Masters has come out this week to talk about her first major infrastructure spend: a new aquatic centre by 2024. There is a ton of space between New Mosaic and the old Taylor Field. They could put a replacement next to the Lawson. Great possibilities considering lots of demand for indoor pools, a waterpark and competitive lanes. This would be year round instead of Fougere's dream in Wascana.
Would love having an expanded indoor waterpark/Lawson for central/inner city to compliment the outdoor water park being built in Wascana Park.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Would love having an expanded indoor waterpark/Lawson for central/inner city to compliment the outdoor water park being built in Wascana Park.
I think it's very unlikely with the bad outdoor facility under construction.

I feel like they should just renovate the Lawson and be done with it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:37 PM

Removing the cobbles and putting traffic on Scarth? Not so sure about that.

https://www.cjme.com/2020/10/29/mast...regina-moving/

Bob Pierce and Mitchell Howse are not participating in the mayoral debate on Nov02. I don't think either is a serious contender so no loss there.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Removing the cobbles and putting traffic on Scarth? Not so sure about that.

https://www.cjme.com/2020/10/29/mast...regina-moving/

Bob Pierce and Mitchell Howse are not participating in the mayoral debate on Nov02. I don't think either is a serious contender so no loss there.
Well she just lost my vote. It seems like her and Fougere would benefit from just keeping their mouths shut.

Acting like you're hoping to revitalize downtown and then trying to mess with the best part of downtown is so self sabotaging.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan