HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
My observation being on broad everyday is that there’s more foot traffic in the early morning and nights than there has been in years. It’s downright bustling with students, office workers and literally dozens of people running. I’ve never seen so many runners on broad. Hell I saw a guy in a suit hugging a homeless man this morning. It needs major sprucing up but there’s definitely energy squeezing the broad street spine from either side, stretching from spring garden well past Washington Ave
Agreed. I’ve definitely noticed a difference on Broad and the city in general over the last few weeks now that colleges are back in full swing. UArts plays a big part in fueling Broad St.’s energy. I’m not sure what their remote/in person situation has been like for the last few years but I’d imagine their absence (full or otherwise) has been a downer on the area. When they’re in full session, there’s students rushing to classes in different buildings up and down Broad. Also, there’s rehearsals, performances and events that go into the evening. Not to mention they have their own security which I’m sure helps.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Few streets in America have as much "positive energy" (investment $$$) being pumped into than Broad Street. I just don't want it to get derailed by something that can be solved.

I don't know how other people feel, but I think it's time the Center City District business org had a bit of a shake-up at the top. Paul Levy deserves a damn statue in Rittenhouse for what he has done for the city, but imo, the small things that CCD was really created to take care of have been falling by the wayside. CCD does a good job on most blocks, but little things like keeping alleyways straightened up have completely gone out the window. I think some youth could refocus the organization and meet residents concerns better.
Yeah, I mean I’m cutting them some slack because of Covid - it’s definitely taken it’s toll on CC and I think CCD has done it’s best to soften some of the blows. However, the energy of Center City generally seems to be back on the right trajectory now. As Summers pointed out, the significant shortage of law enforcement is probably exacerbating QOL issues but then again where are the social workers? I thought a ton of money was thrown at various homelessness programs last year but it doesn’t seem to have done much.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Oh the potential is 100% there and I do think if all the residential and commercial projects happen, the retail and nightlife will come along with it. The container store, home goods, etc. is exactly what Center City needs imo.
Give me a homegoods in the old art store and I’ll be ecstatic.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Do you mean the Doubletree Hotel and the Merriam Theater? It's like you are purposely getting them wrong, lol.
Pretty sure we're discussing the Dumbledore Hotel and the Merman Theatre (Though this has actually been renamed in honor of Ben Stiller).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 1:10 PM

I just love how this building turned out. Especially from afar, the white lines are striking. Even better is its location, which gives it a very prominent place in our skyline.

And I still find it nuts that CC doesn't yet have a general home goods store, like BBB, Home Goods, Crate and Barrel, etc. With all the new construction, one would think people need drawer organizers, decor, kitchen supplies, picture frames, trash cans, etc. People complain about not having enough lux stores on Walnut Street but how about some noise for category that would actually benefit the masses? It just boggles my mind that in all of CC, there isn't one of these stores.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I agree. I don't understand the negativity. Philadelphia is a great city. Sure, it has it's problems, but those whom don't think it's a great city obviously don't travel to other cities very often.

Plus, Broad Street never really had a bustling nightlife scene. If your daughter walked literally one block in either direction off of Broad Street, she would've hit plenty of nightlife in Rittenhouse, or plenty of nightlife in Midtown Village the opposite direction.

And while I do agree there needs to be more of a police presence, CLEARLY you didn't see the article about how understaffed the Philadelphia Police Force is right now. Furthermore, the city focusing on ramping up and reviving parts of the nightlife scene dismantled by COVID is a fantastic idea. The more people on the streets into the night, the less likely there to be scenes like what your daughter describes.
To be fair, guys, I'm talking about late, late. Like, 4 am.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Pretty sure we're discussing the Dumbledore Hotel and the Merman Theatre (Though this has actually been renamed in honor of Ben Stiller).
LOL. My wife gives me shit all the time for getting this stuff wrong.

In my defense, I've never been to either of those places.

haha. my bad.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I just love how this building turned out. Especially from afar, the white lines are striking. Even better is its location, which gives it a very prominent place in our skyline.

And I still find it nuts that CC doesn't yet have a general home goods store, like BBB, Home Goods, Crate and Barrel, etc. With all the new construction, one would think people need drawer organizers, decor, kitchen supplies, picture frames, trash cans, etc. People complain about not having enough lux stores on Walnut Street but how about some noise for category that would actually benefit the masses? It just boggles my mind that in all of CC, there isn't one of these stores.
There is a CB2 and a West Elm but I get your point. I don't see anything super high end coming in but a Home Sense/Home Goods makes a lot of sense at Broad and Chestnut.

I also think something like a Sierra(TJ Maxx outdoor goods store) would do really well in CC. The Moorestown store is pretty great. It would be a nice upscale replacement to I. Goldberg.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:36 PM
Chris

Quote:

In my defense, I've long complained about both. But in my grownup age of early 30s I'd rather a Crate & Barrel than a Fendi.

Plus the among of foot traffic would be great, the on in Soho is always packed.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:

Frankly any new retail aside from another weed or ice cream shop would be welcome.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
There is a CB2 and a West Elm but I get your point. I don't see anything super high end coming in but a Home Sense/Home Goods makes a lot of sense at Broad and Chestnut.

I also think something like a Sierra(TJ Maxx outdoor goods store) would do really well in CC. The Moorestown store is pretty great. It would be a nice upscale replacement to I. Goldberg.
FWIW, Macy's also has a pretty large home department and the TJ Maxx on Market East has a something of a mini-Home Goods component to it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Frankly any new retail aside from another weed or ice cream shop would be welcome.
Did I miss all the new weed shops?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Did I miss all the new weed shops?
Well there’s several that opened up in CC within the last year. Mookie’s Smoke Shop on 19th St was listed in CCD’s latest retail report as one of the district’s fabulous new retail offerings. Walked by it the other day and it looks as if most of the interior is just one big pexiglass divider adorned with flashing lights. I’m sure a C&B will open next door in the coming months lol…

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I would be all for more weed shops. Also, they’re a medical facility as per the PADOH, so it would be nice to see a Restore in CC. Especially when I have my lunch breaks and I’m in CC.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy215 View Post
I would be all for more weed shops.
Good Lord.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Good Lord.
You know you'd be all about it Mr(s). Skyhigh

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 4:01 PM

Philadelphia skyline by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

I gotta post this here before the forum is locked

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badthingshappen View Post
You know you'd be all about it Mr(s). Skyhigh
My only vice is stuffing my face with carbs. I even tried developing a smoking habit once - didn’t take.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 5:33 PM

PHLtoNYC - I know you’ve been curious as to sales figure for The Laurel and Arthaus. I have as well. Looks like some of the top units at Arthaus are indeed selling…

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ome-sales.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 7:09 PM
Chris

Quote:
PHLtoNYC - I know you’ve been curious as to sales figure for The Laurel and Arthaus. I have as well. Looks like some of the top units at Arthaus are indeed selling…

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ome-sales.html
That is great, more confidence in South Broad than I thought.

I also found out that 2100 Hamilton is ~75% sold, although the building only has 27 units.

Seems like a logical time for Toll Brothers to start their project. The only upcoming semi-large condo project is the Dilworth House on Washington Square.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive