HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:13 PM

^^^ This will be a good one to see rise. It's reassuring that there are still lots of projects to follow along with. I thought there'd be a bit of a lull after the crane came off 300 main, but as one treks around town, there's lots of construction to keep track of still

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Very interesting. I had never heard of that before.

I could totally have seen something like that happening sometime in the early 90s... downtown cinemas still had some drawing power left and the shoebox Eaton Place cinemas were fairly outdated by then. It would have been a good use for the space at the time, which as bomberjet pointed out, is kind of wasted the way it is right now.
I know the default answer is that it won't work with Polo Park "so close", but I wonder if a Silver City type of big movie theatre would still work there today since it is part of the SHED, I'm pretty sure movies qualify as entertainment. Also, if someone really wants to take the plunge they could take a big chunk of City Place for a Rec Room type of business that could be combined with / adjacent to the movie theatre. It would eat up a big footprint and could actually be a destination downtown outside of game nights / concerts. But it would have to be done right, big scale, big investment otherwise its dead in the water before it even opens.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:25 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I know the default answer is that it won't work with Polo Park "so close", but I wonder if a Silver City type of big movie theatre would still work there today since it is part of the SHED, I'm pretty sure movies qualify as entertainment. Also, if someone really wants to take the plunge they could take a big chunk of City Place for a Rec Room type of business that could be combined with / adjacent to the movie theatre. It would eat up a big footprint and could actually be a destination downtown outside of game nights / concerts. But it would have to be done right, big scale, big investment otherwise its dead in the water before it even opens.
If done right, this would be a great addition to downtown.

I like the Rec Room near IKEA, it just sucks that it's so far from everything, and I dislike that it isn't tied to a theatre.

I think putting something similar to that model with movie theatres would do great downtown.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:36 PM

Movie theatres are in pretty tough these days. I think the new theatre at Kildonan Place is slowly moving ahead. But I haven't been paying much attention to what's going on inside. I drove by last week and there was some drywall that had been mudded visible through the window.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
If done right, this would be a great addition to downtown.

I like the Rec Room near IKEA, it just sucks that it's so far from everything, and I dislike that it isn't tied to a theatre.

I think putting something similar to that model with movie theatres would do great downtown.
Ya, standalone movie theatres are kinda iffy now with home technology making those experiences almost unnecessary, but I think a big scale movie theatre / Rec Room combo downtown attached to the skywalk system with indoor heated parking would be a true destination for suburbanites as well as a fantastic amenity for the growing downtown population. Personally I loved loved loved Rec Room in South Edmonton and I can absolutely seeing a big scale properly done destination like that working in our downtown (part of The Bay redevelopment?). I recognize it would be really risky but man would that breathe some real life into downtown.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 5:14 PM

I guess if you do it right it can work downtown... I went to the food court area of TNS one weeknight a couple of months ago and I was amazed to see how busy it was. It clearly became a popular spot for young people to hang out.

I guess there's no reason a Rec Room type facility couldn't do the same thing, although it could be tricky given that the Rec Room likely caters to a younger demographic and the moms and dads taking their kids might not be thrilled with having to deal with downtown parking. This is a challenge for all downtown businesses.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 5:29 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I guess if you do it right it can work downtown... I went to the food court area of TNS one weeknight a couple of months ago and I was amazed to see how busy it was. It clearly became a popular spot for young people to hang out.

I guess there's no reason a Rec Room type facility couldn't do the same thing, although it could be tricky given that the Rec Room likely caters to a younger demographic and the moms and dads taking their kids might not be thrilled with having to deal with downtown parking. This is a challenge for all downtown businesses.
This is completely anecdotal, but my experience with the Rec Room was all young people (probably aged around 16-25) with their friends. I did not see many families when I went. I am sure that it depends on the time of day as well. I went on a Thursday evening.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
This is completely anecdotal, but my experience with the Rec Room was all young people (probably aged around 16-25) with their friends. I did not see many families when I went. I am sure that it depends on the time of day as well. I went on a Thursday evening.
I'm sure they get plenty of young adults there and that might even be their core but from what I've seen of Rec Room in my social media feeds, I see that it is a fairly popular destination for families with younger kids too. I would think their needs have to factor into any location decisions.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 6:25 PM

Right, young adults would absolutely be a big demographic for the destination, but that isn't a bad thing. Having it combined with a big movie theatre I see a similar crowd with a big portion of it being young people, but enough people of all ages (young and old) where everyone would be comfortable there. I'm sure during the day it would skew younger with families coming in to play their video games, watch family movies, and have a good meal. Then the later it goes in the night it would be more lively with the live music / bar crowd showing up to party. Isn't that exactly what we've been begging for downtown? Life?

Parking downtown is easy peasy especially on weekends, and there are more than enough underground parkades where the suburban families could easily park their SUV's and minivans within a quick walk, especially if it was built in City Place or The Bay. If I was living downtown as the relatively healthy dare I say youthful forty-something that I am this would be a fantastic amenity for me where I could have a nice evening out and then run home and be in bed before those rowdy twentysomethings ruin my personal space (old man yelling at cloud).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 7:07 PM

On another note I saw some activity on the Markham/Gull Lake project next to the RT station. I think they were creating an approach to allow vehicles to enter the site.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 1:08 AM

The Shell station at Corydon and Tuxedo is being demolished. This is where that 15ish story apartment building is supposed to go up.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 2:24 AM

The 14-storey brick highrise at Donald and St Mary Ave looks to be starting on Monday. The city has installed No Walk signs and removed crosswalk lights at that intersection. Lane Closures map shows Donald from St Mary Ave to York partially closed from March 14, 2022 to March 31, 2023 (southbound median lane, east side sidewalk). Same for St Mary Ave from Donald to Smith.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 4:55 PM

Just gonna drop this here.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:18 PM

Anyword on Winnipeg ice new arena? Still crickets

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 12:46 AM
surely you agree with me

dead

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 4:36 AM

Well this is no way long term the Ice can stay in Winnipeg with an antiquated arena holding under 2,000 people . The ownership group will have to find a way to get something built .

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Well this is no way long term the Ice can stay in Winnipeg with an antiquated arena holding under 2,000 people . The ownership group will have to find a way to get something built .
ICE owners are extremely wealthy and although no business owner is successful by losing money they may be ok with current situation short term. Reminder they also own MJHL Wpg Blues & Wpg Freeze, plus very involved in minor hockey spring tournaments and training.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 5:50 PM

Red River Ex has fairly publicly discussed their desire to build an arena like venue of their place for horse shows, livestock auctions, and similar that currently draw sizable crowds in other markets but have no place in Winnipeg. There would see to be some possible synergy with the Ice looking to build a 5,000 seat arena.

The other somewhat interesting side story in the Coyotes in Arizona are going to be moving into a 5,000 seat arena after this season when their lease in Glendale is terminated.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 6:14 PM

How embarrassing is that for the NHL. Just move the Coyotes once and for all. I hear Quebec is has interest lol

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Red River Ex has fairly publicly discussed their desire to build an arena like venue of their place for horse shows, livestock auctions, and similar that currently draw sizable crowds in other markets but have no place in Winnipeg. There would see to be some possible synergy with the Ice looking to build a 5,000 seat arena.

The other somewhat interesting side story in the Coyotes in Arizona are going to be moving into a 5,000 seat arena after this season when their lease in Glendale is terminated.
The Ex should just go for a full redevelopment plan with high-density residential and make the amusement park year round. I’m sure there is plenty of demand to live in the area anyway why not make it something interesting. For some reason Winnipeg hates building housing next to amenities which is something I hope changes in the near future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan